Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Spent a bit of the morning there fiddling with an Audi A4's horn.
    Fuse is okay, relay is okay, still no beep beep. Any ideas?

Can be the switch in the steering itself..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Did you try wiring the horn direct to the battery?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Failing that kovu will definitely get your horn to beep beep :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Muckit wrote: »
    You could try tinkering at it with the ... ahem...leatherman :D

,,Quote: MickeyShtyles

Muckit
    Failing that kovu will definitely get your horn to beep beep

50 shades makeing an appearance again ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Jb1989 wrote: »

50 shades makeing an appearance again ;)

Must be the humid weather!

TOOT TOOT! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

could be a poor connection somewhere along the wire running directly to the horn. We have a Peugeot partner that the horn stops working on when there is prolonged spells of dry weather (usually over a week) however when there is any hint of moisture about its sound so its definitely a bad connection somewhere that's slightly exposed to the elements. It's been happening since last summer but since the weather has been so bad we haven't felt the need to go tracing wires just yet! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Kovu wrote: »
    Heh heh heh.

Maybe it's just a bit insecure, tell it you love it and that it happens to every AudiA4 at some point. :D

Post of the day!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,929 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Fuse is okay, relay is okay, still no beep beep. Any ideas?

Have you tried pushing the center of the steering wheel?

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,968 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wg7lwoY.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

some fecker dumped a box of kittens at the end of our laneway:mad: kids are delighted, I am not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Thargor wrote: »
    Wg7lwoY.gif
    Good job, where can you get it?

Have you tried pushing the center of the steering wheel?

He said the 'beep beep' wasn't working,
    I wonder is the 'toot toot' that was mentioned in another post working,,
    The toot toot would let you away for the summer till you got the beep beep fixed.

Farrell wrote: »
    Good job, where can you get it?

Where for ar thou Reggie,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

whelan2 wrote: »
    some fecker dumped a box of kittens at the end of our laneway:mad: kids are delighted, I am not

any toms in it? umcle looking a few for around the yard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,484 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Where for ar thou Reggie,,

Couldn't use something like that. It would surely misfire and send one through my back window :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    Couldn't use something like that. It would surely misfire and send one through my back window :D

You'd have to take the window out of the 390 first in case

You'd have to take the window out of the 390 first in case

Don't have a 390 :P

Reggie. wrote: »
    Don't have a 390 :P

It is Reggie. I know you've a fake badge on it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Whats the story with farmers in the West having about 3 battered tractors?

Better than having a brand spanking new one that the bank owns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Boaty wrote: »

Where did you hear that story ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

It was a figure of speech, I was down in Clare at the weekend and I saw it with my own eyes.
    Not having a bash at any of you just in case your wondering.

clare is in the south(munster), south west to be precise but never the west

It is Reggie. I know you've a fake badge on it :p

Your misinformed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

heard a good one today fella we know out spreading slurry in his new 151 with the back window open when the eye glass popped sending a shoot of slurry straight into the cab of the tractor,now that's hard luck

It was a figure of speech, I was down in Clare at the weekend and I saw it with my own eyes.
    Not having a bash at any of you just in case your wondering.

I'd say you could see it in any corner of the country really . It all depends on the farmer and his fondness of machinery.
    A few different tractors for different jobs is what some fellas like and they don't mind having to fix them themselves if they are older ones they're a bit simpler to maintain.
    While some lads just want one that will do everything whether it's a bit big or small for different jobs

keep going wrote: »
    heard a good one today fella we know out spreading slurry in his new 151 with the back window open when the eye glass popped sending a shoot of slurry straight into the cab of the tractor,now that's hard luck

Bet it was a major tanker. That's becoming a major fault in them

now without getting argumentative as thankfully the farming forum on boards isn't a place where these childish shenanigans thrive, I might put forward a theory. Farms in the west of Ireland are generally smaller than farms in other parts of Ireland meath kildare tip etc.. therefore smaller tractors have always been popular. With the result that many smaller classics stayed active longer in these farms than in other larger operations. A man could run a decent farm with just a massey 165, a ford 4000 or a davy brown 995 not a bother of this I'm sure. In the late 90's these smaller farmers started to upgrade to handy small 4x4 tractors however the smaller tractors were retained as their handiness makes them invaluable to small farms. At this stage there is no point in selling a roughish small 70's tractor thats been on a farm since nearly new as it's an appreciating asset. Ireland is slightly unique in this respect and I certainly wouldn't confine it to the "West" its all down to the farm, the land type and the farmer themselves, As said it's all down to the individuals fondness for machinery and mechanical skills as repairs will be needed but then they're not something that has to be plugged into a laptop so they are more accessible to a majority of people. I may be biased in my view we actually have 4 pre 1990 tractors but all earn their keep and all are appreciating in value so it's make absolutely no sense to get rid of them. Our most "battered" tractor is actually a 995 david brown that has the factory original 16speed crawler gearbox and its running like a trooper granted it's tinwork is due a bit of tlc however all lights are present all strength bearing structures are solid (rollframe etc.) and when you get it in the right conditions its a force to be reckoned with. To this day I have yet to see a 2wd 70hp tractor of any age out perform it on heavy wet soil conditions so it's future looks bright :D Just my two cents worth anyways, if the tractors are present and there's jobs for them why would ya get rid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

now without getting argumentative as thankfully the farming forum on boards isn't a place where these childish shenanigans thrive, I might put forward a theory. Farms in the west of Ireland are generally smaller than farms in other parts of Ireland meath kildare tip etc.. therefore smaller tractors have always been popular. With the result that many smaller classics stayed active longer in these farms than in other larger operations. A man could run a decent farm with just a massey 165, a ford 4000 or a davy brown 995 not a bother of this I'm sure. In the late 90's these smaller farmers started to upgrade to handy small 4x4 tractors however the smaller tractors were retained as their handiness makes them invaluable to small farms. At this stage there is no point in selling a roughish small 70's tractor thats been on a farm since nearly new as it's an appreciating asset. Ireland is slightly unique in this respect and I certainly wouldn't confine it to the "West" its all down to the farm, the land type and the farmer themselves, As said it's all down to the individuals fondness for machinery and mechanical skills as repairs will be needed but then they're not something that has to be plugged into a laptop so they are more accessible to a majority of people. I may be biased in my view we actually have 4 pre 1990 tractors but all earn their keep and all are appreciating in value so it's make absolutely no sense to get rid of them. Our most "battered" tractor is actually a 995 david brown that has the factory original 16speed crawler gearbox and its running like a trooper granted it's tinwork is due a bit of tlc however all lights are present all strength bearing structures are solid (rollframe etc.) and when you get it in the right conditions its a force to be reckoned with. To this day I have yet to see a 2wd 70hp tractor of any age out perform it on heavy wet soil conditions so it's future looks bright :D Just my two cents worth anyways, if the tractors are present and there's jobs for them why would ya get rid of them.

We have a 4255 TWD for all heavy work. Bales, muck spreading, mowing, topping any trailer work when I hire in a digger bringing home turf and fertilizer etc etc. Next is the 135 for spraying, tedding, shaking fert, any box work around the farm and any lighter and then we have the 35 with front loader. I'd be lost without it!! Loading and unloading round bales of straw and stacking 2 high in small tight west of ireland sheds and doesn't tare up the yard like a 4WD would plough the place doing same job. Unloaded an artic of straw last yr and the trucker was amazed by it. Use it for cleaning out the dung from straw shed and dung sted. Have scraper that attaches to front loader for scraping out the passage once a wk in winter. Have half a barrell filled with concrete at the back for counter weight. It flies in around the shed no bother. Power steering would help but tis good training! Only thing id like to add is for the old shear grab hoist that I put on back of 4255 for droping bales into ring feeder for a neighbour with horses. Could you put on a bale grab for stacking silage bales two high?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

We have a 4255 TWD for all heavy work. Bales, muck spreading, mowing, topping any trailer work when I hire in a digger bringing home turf and fertilizer etc etc. Next is the 135 for spraying, tedding, shaking fert, any box work around the farm and any lighter and then we have the 35 with front loader. I'd be lost without it!! Loading and unloading round bales of straw and stacking 2 high in small tight west of ireland sheds and doesn't tare up the yard like a 4WD would plough the place doing same job. Unloaded an artic of straw last yr and the trucker was amazed by it. Use it for cleaning out the dung from straw shed and dung sted. Have scraper that attaches to front loader for scraping out the passage once a wk in winter. Have half a barrell filled with concrete at the back for counter weight. It flies in around the shed no bother. Power steering would help but tis good training! Only thing id like to add is for the old shear grab hoist that I put on back of 4255 for droping bales into ring feeder for a neighbour with horses. Could you put on a bale grab for stacking silage bales two high?
    Have seen a guy made a frame to attach the standard bale lifter for that purpose.
    Also saw another guy welded brackets to side of a bale lifter to put on a front loader for stacking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Farrell wrote: »
    Have seen a guy made a frame to attach the standard bale lifter for that purpose.
    Also saw another guy welded brackets to side of a bale lifter to put on a front loader for stacking

There ia a frame on it for attaching the spike onto but would love to know would a ruscon type hydraulic one work or would it be all just too heavy for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭White Clover

Great post selectamatic. The 995/6 1210 etc are a good tractor. However the Zetor 6718 I would rate higher. Great traction and very frugal like the browns but with a superior cab and driving position.

kids put up a picture of the kittens on snapchat and we found the owner, they collected them there and never even said thanks:confused: think the parents wanted rid

kids put up a picture of the kittens on snapchat and we found the owner, they collected them there and never even said thanks:confused: think the parents wanted rid

Ah no, they'll just be dumped elsewhere :( I bet the kids were told the kittens went missing and they were thrown in a box at your lane. I can't abide people who are cruel to animals, you'd want to be an absolute heartless cnut to dump animals not able to fend for themselves.

Also have see men make up a frame for using a normal bale lifter on the front loader and it seems to work grand, that said a bale of silage might be a bridge too far for the aul 35, it'd lift it no doubt I'd say, some of the old power loaders can lift a frightening amount of weight especially the original alo quicke ones but it might be unnecessary abuse on the 35's front axle I believe the general rule of thumb was 4wd tractors are better suited to loading silage bales purely down to the fact the front axle is naturally beefier. An industrial 35/135 would be some job for ya :D there's heavy duty front axles on them the size of steel girders!

+1 on the old zetors there an unappreciated tractor for sure, up until the late 90's I feel Zetor made great tractors the move to the "drop front" design sparked a decline in build quality.
    The cab ergonomics of the browns and their succeltibility to a bit of corrosion for sure was their Achilles heal, but get them in a field and they punch well above their weight.
    In general farmers will always have a soft spot for 70's tractors it's what they grew up with and the dam things were built so well I just can't see them going anywhere too soon :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Need a case for my iPhone 5,I am prone to breaking phones on the farm so I need one that will protect the screen and all.Anyone know any good,reasonable money cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

IH784man wrote: »
    Need a case for my iPhone 5,I am prone to breaking phones on the farm so I need one that will protect the screen and all.Anyone know any good,reasonable money cases.

Otterbox Defender. I've the commuter one and at times, I wish I got the defender.

+1 on the old zetors there an unappreciated tractor for sure, up until the late 90's I feel Zetor made great tractors the move to the "drop front" design sparked a decline in build quality.

We've had our Zetor since it was a couple of years old, it's a '93 so that's how long we've had it!

Otterbox Defender. I've the commuter one and at times, I wish I got the defender.
    how much are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Thanks where would you get them.

• Advertisement

brake pipe burst on jeep during doe:mad: diesel tank has to be taken off it to fix it

eBay is the best job for phone cases by far. Ya have thousands of cases to choose from and all will be cheaper then buying in carphone warehouse and the likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

brake pipe burst on jeep during doe:mad: diesel tank has to be taken off it to fix it

lucky

had 1 fail years ago, with a full load behind & was fairly tipping along, not a very pleasant experience

eBay is the best job for phone cases by far. Ya have thousands of cases to choose from and all will be cheaper then buying in carphone warehouse and the likes.
    just be careful with exchange rate and delivery- we use parcel motel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

dunno whether this will do or I need a separate thread, as anyone any experience with using a mulcher/flail or saw attachment on a digger? have a lot of work to do. as usual cant depend on contractor. was looking at buying a saw, 2500e and hiring the digger whenever I needed it on short notice,, madness?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

visatorro wrote: »
    dunno whether this will do or I need a separate thread, as anyone any experience with using a mulcher/flail or saw attachment on a digger? have a lot of work to do. as usual cant depend on contractor. was looking at buying a saw, 2500e and hiring the digger whenever I needed it on short notice,, madness?

Would the digger be piped for it ??
    I know my BIL has contracts with his own EX120 and I asked him about it, he said tey are tough on a machine and most operators don't want them on machines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

_Brian wrote: »
    Would the digger be piped for it ??
    I know my BIL has contracts with his own EX120 and I asked him about it, he said tey are tough on a machine and most operators don't want them on machines.

needs a 2 way circuit. most machines over 8 tonne would have one. i wouldnt put one on my own machine anyway

Also have see men make up a frame for using a normal bale lifter on the front loader and it seems to work grand, that said a bale of silage might be a bridge too far for the aul 35, it'd lift it no doubt I'd say, some of the old power loaders can lift a frightening amount of weight especially the original alo quicke ones but it might be unnecessary abuse on the 35's front axle I believe the general rule of thumb was 4wd tractors are better suited to loading silage bales purely down to the fact the front axle is naturally beefier. An industrial 35/135 would be some job for ya :D there's heavy duty front axles on them the size of steel girders!

The cab ergonomics of the browns and their succeltibility to a bit of corrosion for sure was their Achilles heal, but get them in a field and they punch well above their weight.
    In general farmers will always have a soft spot for 70's tractors it's what they grew up with and the dam things were built so well I just can't see them going anywhere too soon :D
    The 70's ????? I'm only a young lad around here with ye !
    Is it me or are Zetors gone dear on DD in the last year did you notice ?

Ah I'm not too old meself but I was more generalising famers ages! many of the tractors of my generation could still be considered main operation tractors. I feel the 70's and early 80's is the cut off point with regards classic's

As said anything Zetor with a hint of classic about it is on the up as many were extremely cheap a few years ago! Also good david browns are starting to catch massey ferguson and ford in prices.

http://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/zetor-9540-c-w-quickie-loader/10070241?offset=29
    I feel these zetors could go the way of massey ferguson 390t's and fiat 110-90's in so much that they will never become too cheap. The model's that came after them ware a bit of a let down to say the least.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement