Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Around us in Longford most of the farmers have pre 90's MF's or Fiats that are in every day use.
    We have a 168 which is 1970's, a 1984 880 4wd and the best of them all is a IH354 (1960's??) which starts on the button every time. I always liked the situation of the gear lever on the earlier IH's but an awful pain when they started jamming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

much the same situation here our newest is 1984! that said its a 4wd 885xl and they did remain largely unchanged throughout their long production run so it's a tad more advanced than many tractors of that age. I feel all tractors should be worked no point really having them just to look at :D There's many jobs that can still be done with dexta's and 35's and the likes so no point keeping them in a shed gathering dust!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭Base price

much the same situation here our newest is 1984! that said its a 4wd 885xl and they did remain largely unchanged throughout their long production run so it's a tad more advanced than many tractors of that age. I feel all tractors should be worked no point really having them just to look at :D There's many jobs that can still be done with dexta's and 35's and the likes so no point keeping them in a shed gathering dust!
    I wonder will today's modern tractors stand the test of time and be around in working order in 30+ years.
    An older neighbour (single man) splashed out in 2013 and treated himself to a new VW Passat. He previously had a second hand 01 that served him well.
    He had to get the timing belt/chain changed after X amount of miles. He nearly died when he realised that you have to replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. He said that the whole job cost him nearly €700 including the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

What kinda bird is this he was squawking out of a bush at me when I was checking the cows . I was able to feed him a grub aswell he is so quiet !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Another

It's hard to know in general things now are not built to last so the omens don't look good but Rust issues are becoming less common with zinc coating and the likes so at least body wise they should last better then their predecessors! mechanical repairs will always be dearer though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I think it's a young thrush.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Base price wrote: »
    I wonder will today's modern tractors stand the test of time and be around in working order in 30+ years.
    An older neighbour (single man) splashed out in 2013 and treated himself to a new VW Passat. He previously had a second hand 01 that served him well.
    He had to get the timing belt/chain changed after X amount of miles. He nearly died when he realised that you have to replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. He said that the whole job cost him nearly €700 including the service.

does he ever get out of the passat ? :D think the belt change is (depending on model) about 100k miles , some going in 2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Also have see men make up a frame for using a normal bale lifter on the front loader and it seems to work grand, that said a bale of silage might be a bridge too far for the aul 35, it'd lift it no doubt I'd say, some of the old power loaders can lift a frightening amount of weight especially the original alo quicke ones but it might be unnecessary abuse on the 35's front axle I believe the general rule of thumb was 4wd tractors are better suited to loading silage bales purely down to the fact the front axle is naturally beefier. An industrial 35/135 would be some job for ya :D there's heavy duty front axles on them the size of steel girders!

+1 on the old zetors there an unappreciated tractor for sure, up until the late 90's I feel Zetor made great tractors the move to the "drop front" design sparked a decline in build quality.
    The cab ergonomics of the browns and their succeltibility to a bit of corrosion for sure was their Achilles heal, but get them in a field and they punch well above their weight.
    In general farmers will always have a soft spot for 70's tractors it's what they grew up with and the dam things were built so well I just can't see them going anywhere too soon :D

I'd never even attempt to lift a silage bale with 35. Not meant for that torture. The silage bale lifter I have is off an old mchale shear grab on back of 4255 and was wondering could I use a hydraulic bale lifter attached to the hoist on the back of 4255 to stack 2 high.

• Advertisement

ah well I was thinking that alright especially when you said the 35 had no power steering a man would want a fair pair of arms to turn the wheel in that scenario :D I'm sure you'd be able to sort something for the hoist (Hydraulic mast is what we call them) I've seen both normal bale handlers and hydraulic bale handlers fitted to rear mounted forklift style masts for tractors so I'm sure a shear grab mast would be much the same principal. Just make sure you have enough spool valves to operate it and then its a matter of welding up brackets to suit. Also a good weight at the front would be necessary as the whole ensemble would weigh a nice bit hanging off the lift arms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Bullocks wrote: »
    What kinda bird is this he was squawking out of a bush at me when I was checking the cows . I was able to feed him a grub aswell he is so quiet !

Awwwww your at one with nature,
    Very nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

orm0nd wrote: »
    does he ever get out of the passat ? :D think the belt change is (depending on model) about 100k miles , some going in 2 years

my old manager had the timing belt go early in his passat too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

started work at 8.30am today and finished at 11am ..... I could get used to this lol.

So that's why chit chat has gone quiet,
    #mandown
    Guess who ;)
    image.jpg
    free picture upload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Sure we're all out sunning ourselves Jb ;)

Dad offered me an interesting trade this morning. This blue heifer for a whitehead suckler cow incalf to Maserati. I told him unless she can do a handy trick and duplicate herself, he'll have to up his trade quite a bit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭visatorro

any wonder peoples opinions of farmers are so low. behind a lad yesterday. Renault tractor with 1600 gallon tanker. I prob only seen what was happening because I was taking an interest in the tractor. you could just about see the right indicator coming on on the tractor, no light on tanker. the lad is waving his arm out the window which you could just about see also. next thing tractor turns left. FFS. young lad driving, sure he has those bad habits for life now. any wonder accidents happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Does roundup kill grass and everything or is MCPA 500 (I think that's the name) the better job for killing rushes,docking and moss without killing grass?
    And if I go to spray how long would I have to keep sheep of it?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

IH784man wrote: »
    Does roundup kill grass and everything or is MCPA 500 (I think that's the name) the better job for killing rushes,docking and moss without killing grass?
    Thanks

Roundup kills all.
    MCPA does rushes and docks (but not sure if they will be back next year, I'll have to wait and see)
    I leave 2 weeks from spraying to sheep going back in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Roundup kills all.
    MCPA does rushes and docks (but not sure if they will be back next year, I'll have to wait and see)
    I leave 2 weeks from spraying to sheep going back in.

Thanks,it's wet in patches this ground so I would probably be best getting someone in with a quad sprayer but I don't know many people with a boom on there quad sprayer.

• Advertisement

IH784man wrote: »
    Thanks

Mcpa perfect for rushes but only stunts docks, takes a specific dock killer to kill the dock leaves, usually 'dockstar' etc

Is it safe to shake 10-10-20 where cattle are grazing or is that a tall tale?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Is it safe to shake 10-10-20 where cattle are grazing or is that a tall tale?

We'd often do it. I did see a bullock years ago get sick after spreading fert, but he got at some big lumps that didn't go through the spreader.

We'd often do it. I did see a bullock years ago get sick after spreading fert, but he got at some big lumps that didn't go through the spreader.

Thanks Genghis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Has anyone used "Prospect" spray on Docks.. Spring 14 we used Eagle and while all the docks were killed off they returned this season with a vengeance, very disappointing :(..

The guy who cut/baled recommended Prospect as a new product that's supposed to be the business at killing them off, he wouldn't be getting the spray work so he has no vested interest, just a conversation about better silage..

http://www.magentadirect.ie/PROSPECT-DOCK-SPRAY

I see here its a Mid-Late season spray.. Ideally 3 weeks after cutting to allow regrowth..

Our silage is just done, I'm thinking of having a go with this stuff in three weeks..

Any experiences out there..

At a retirement party, oh god I'm bored :pac: I wonder would they notice if I went missing with a plate of sandwiches and surfed boards for a while?

Kovu wrote: »
    At a retirement party, oh god I'm bored :pac: I wonder would they notice if I went missing with a plate of sandwiches and surfed boards for a while?

In most cases a retirement party is a bit like a wake.. I never know what to say.. "Well done - your so old you cant work any more", doesn't sound quite right !

_Brian wrote: »
    In most cases a retirement party is a bit like a wake.. I never know what to say.. "Well done - your so old you cant work any more", doesn't sound quite right !

Tis my Dad's party, I've already said it to him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Blackgrass

Spike the punch with cheap vodka, then ring for hookers and coke :cool:

Tis my Dad's party, I've already said it to him :D

Oh :o

• Advertisement

Blackgrass wrote: »

What.. !
    Leave the punch alone, when the hookers turn up with the coke I want to be in fighting form, not unconsious under the table... t'would be just my luck :mad:

I could spike the tay? I've commandeered a coffeepot and am guarding it fiercely.

I could spike the tay? I've commandeered a coffeepot and am guarding it fiercely.

Well for some with they're fancy coffee pots, we made use of the burco boiler down our way :pac:.

What.. !
    Leave the punch alone, when the hookers turn up with the coke I want to be in fighting form, not unconsious under the table... t'would be just my luck :mad:

You'll just take a power knap, line of coke then your ready to go :cool:

Well for some with they're fancy coffee pots, we made use of the burco boiler down our way :pac:.

It's only a tall teapot :P Have stolen the egg sandwiches now. Omnomnom.

It's only a tall teapot :P Have stolen the egg sandwiches now. Omnomnom.

Egg makes for very bad farts, great way to clear the stragglers in a few hours :o

What.. !

Reminds me of the fella from the house of lords over here(like the senate a group of 'peers') found snorting coke with hookers, not off them :D few weeks ago

Egg makes for very bad farts, great way to clear the stragglers in a few hours :o

Dunno if there'll be stragglers, they're all pretty old :pac:

Found a pool table. Success! Entertainment!

Dunno if there'll be stragglers, they're all pretty old :pac:

Found a pool table. Success! Entertainment!

You'll be responsible for some auld fella putting out a hip now trying to lean across to pot a difficult shot while you shark it out like ''i haven't a clue and it's beginers luck!''

• Advertisement

You'll be responsible for some auld fella putting out a hip now trying to lean across to pot a difficult shot while you shark it out like ''i haven't a clue and it's beginers luck!''

Used to love playing pool while skiving off school. Monday and Tuesday afternoons, plus all day Friday after lunch.
    No tricky shots for me tonight, have a dress on :D Now where's the freaking chalk so I can look all knowing and like I know what I'm at while chalking the cue.

Putting away the bottle here.
    Just set the alarm fr five, have an airport run in the mornin :(

Putting away the bottle here.
    Just set the alarm fr five, have an airport run in the mornin :(

Dislike. :(

image.jpg

Used to love playing pool while skiving off school. Monday and Tuesday afternoons, plus all day Friday after lunch.
    No tricky shots for me tonight, have a dress on :D Now where's the freaking chalk so I can look all knowing and like I know what I'm at while chalking the cue.

Does the chalk do anything?
    Master of the miss the stupidly easy but slot the 2 balls after bouncing off 3 sides wonder shot master ,flukey f**ker myself, smash it in the vague direction then hope.

but slot the 2 balls after bouncing off 3 sides wonder shot master ,flukey f**ker myself, smash it in the vague direction then hope.

OH COME ON :D:D

• Advertisement

OH COME ON :D:D

You havent seen funny until you see a nearly bald man contemplate riping out his remaining hair after such an event. Miss straight forward shots as hit too hard and ping pongs off corner of the pocket then to some how pocket 2 from a hit and hope'er :cool:

You havent seen funny until you see a nearly bald man contemplate riping out his remaining hair after such an event. Miss straight forward shots as hit too hard and ping pongs off corner of the pocket then to some how pocket 2 from a hit and hope'er :cool:

Hit and hope! Was always caught with the black ball and the rules around it, pick a pocket and stay on it, no back table shots etc etc.

Hit and hope! Was always caught with the black ball and the rules around it, pick a pocket and stay on it, no back table shots etc etc.

Everyone has their own rules, normally pop up at convenient times to who ever's on 'home ground'. Night, don't embarrass too many folk :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,854 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

There's a few I can think of that are not on the list http://ow.ly/QULAj

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

I saw roundup and Gallup bio for sale yesterday,
    both were a gallon each.

35.50 each. good or bad value?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement