Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Farming Chit Chat sticks it to six.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    But it's more another access to your account along with traditional banking rater than a switch. The Bricks and Mortar bank option will still be there, but can also see and do stuff online. It's a case of both rather than either or.
    agree, I couldnt be without internet banking now, its the first thing i check every morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    agree, I couldnt be without internet banking now, its the first thing i check every morning

Ahh, ye have a proper cash flow so. Ours is more of a gentle trickle, once a week is more than enough :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

KatyMac wrote: »
    Whelan, do you have much trouble with your phoneline/wi-fi? We are driven daft any time it rains recently the whole lot go down - I have eircom on speed dial. Haven't managed to do much for us yet, I've told them to fix the problem, reduce my bill or I'll leave them. I'm glad I haven't all my farming stuff online, as I'd be bald by now trying to do anything, there are advantages to being 'old fashioned'.

We do have that problem now and again not too often though. We had a sound eircom buck out at the house a year ago and he said it's to do with the box on the side of the house where the phone cables go in, water runs along the phone lines and into the box rusting the terminals. He replaced our box and it did improve it but that said it didn't cure it 100% a good downpour doesn't be long slowing the Internet speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

But it's more another access to your account along with traditional banking rater than a switch. The Bricks and Mortar bank option will still be there, but can also see and do stuff online. It's a case of both rather than either or.

For a personal account, internet banking is free (at least with PTSB)

But with BoI business account, internet banking costs 15 / month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

We do have that problem now and again not too often though. We had a sound eircom buck out at the house a year ago and he said it's to do with the box on the side of the house where the phone cables go in, water runs along the phone lines and into the box rusting the terminals. He replaced our box and it did improve it but that said it didn't cure it 100% a good downpour doesn't be long slowing the Internet speed.

What way is the cable entering the box? By right it should go down the wall, then turn 180degrees and back up into the box so that any moisture on the line drops off at the low point away from the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Ahh, ye have a proper cash flow so. Ours is more of a gentle trickle, once a week is more than enough :(

Any of ye like me ? I usually only have the balls to check the account after i lodge a cheque :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

I'll stick to what I know at the moment which is the traditional banking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Zr105 wrote: »
    What way is the cable entering the box? By right it should go down the wall, then turn 180degrees and back up into the box so that any moisture on the line drops off at the low point away from the box

Ay they have the bend in them now the original one didn't have enough of a bend in it, he was saying alot of the older installations didn't have the proper 180 degree bend in them as it never had that much of an effect on the phones however since internet has come of age the correct installation procedure is vital as ethernet cables are much more sensitive to the elements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

http://www.donedeal.ie/view/10187451
    hedge cutter
    just in case anyone interested

hedge cutter

Tidy job , I'd like a back window onthe tractor when using it though !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Bullocks wrote: »
    Tidy job , I'd like a back window onthe tractor when using it though !

and a cover on the pto wouldn't go astray

orm0nd wrote: »
    and a cover on the pto wouldn't go astray

Goes without saying . 3 shafts borrowed from the home place this year and the 3 of them came back missing at least half the covers . Its annoying but they have to be replaced before we will use them

Goes without saying . 3 shafts borrowed from the home place this year and the 3 of them came back missing at least half the covers . Its annoying but they have to be replaced before we will use them

good few years ago a very similar set up to that hedge cutter, witnessed something I never want to see again
    I was helping a neighbour hang a heavy gate, tractor mounted cement mixer with no guard on shaft, their border collie ran underneath & his tail got caught ,

fast exit from this world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Anyone for virginia show tomorrow,
    First stop, the baileys tent..

good few years ago a very similar set up to that hedge cutter, witnessed something I never want to see again
    I was helping a neighbour hang a heavy gate, tractor mounted cement mixer with no guard on shaft, their border collie ran underneath & his tail got caught ,

At least it was a dog and not a child running under it . Not pleasant none the less

exact same happened that one. arsehole up the road borrowed last week n dropped back like that. uncle is very thorough with anything like that (its his hedgecutter). id say yer mans ears are burning ever since.

hedgecutter never used on thst tractor. just mounted for pics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

hedge cutter
    I like the fact that it is mounted on the right hand side. If I won the lotto tomorrow I would buy a flail for trimming behind the electric fence but the ones that I see advertised operate on the left side :(
    Now I know that this may not be a problem for some but since I have spent most of my adult life looking over my right shoulder outta the back of a tractor, I know that it would be nigh impossible attempting the opposite.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Anyone for virginia show tomorrow,
    First stop, the baileys tent..
    Fingers crossed I will get to skive off early from work (yet again ;)) and hit Virginia around 2pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

Base price wrote: »
    I like the fact that it is mounted on the right hand side. If I won the lotto tomorrow I would buy a flail for trimming behind the electric fence but the ones that I see advertised operate on the left side :(
    Now I know that this may not be a problem for some but since I have spent most of my adult life looking over my right shoulder outta the back of a tractor, I know that it would be nigh impossible attempting the opposite.

It might be sorer on the neck to turn to the left but I wouldn't even consider a hedger working to the right, leaves you that you can't really go tidy up a bit around a road gate, well you can but having seen a few lads at it its not the best....

Zr105 wrote: »
    It might be sorer on the neck to turn to the left but I wouldn't even consider a hedger working to the right, leaves you that you can't really go tidy up a bit around a road gate, well you can but having seen a few lads at it its not the best....
    TBH we trim the bit of road (bank) hedge with the disc mower :eek:
    The rest of the farm is in one block.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Base price wrote: »
    Fingers crossed I will get to skive off early from work (yet again ;)) and hit Virginia around 2pm.

Snakey :). With a bit of luck youl make it.. Should be good

exact same happened that one. arsehole up the road borrowed last week n dropped back like that. uncle is very thorough with anything like that (its his hedgecutter). id say yer mans ears are burning ever since.

hedgecutter never used on thst tractor. just mounted for pics.

see the tractor is nearly 50 years, an import as well ??

see the tractor is nearly 50 years, an import as well ??

yep restored in spare time here in mancheste city centre. we have a vintage tractor club mostly irish members. if you google tractors in manchester st patricks parade you will see them all.

stayed up late watching a film last night. regretting it this am!!

same tractor when in manchester. the cab was bought st home (c&g clane)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Didn't actually witness this one. Contractor cutting maize, dog gone mad chasing something in the maize, 10 seconds later red smear on top of the trailer being filled.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Didn't actually witness this one. Contractor cutting maize, dog gone mad chasing something in the maize, 10 seconds later red smear on top of the trailer being filled.

local guy lost an arm when it got caught in pto.. small son... 9/10yo stopped the bleeding by using baling twine and a spanner. went to the house, rang an ambulance and told his mother nothing as she was very heavily pregnant. then went and got the arm and put it in freezer as directed by ambulance crew. He got some sort of medal for bravery afterwards. Fair play to him. Saved his dads life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

have about 6 hours work for a digger to do here

if going rate for a ex 120 is €40 plus vat?

whats rate for a 6 ton?

And about 100 a day for 6ton dumper self drive be reasonable?

have about 6 hours work for a digger to do here

if going rate for a ex 120 is €40 plus vat?

whats rate for a 6 ton?

And about 100 a day for 6ton dumper self drive be reasonable?

you will have transport on top of that and nobody is going to haul to and from site for 6 hrs. Will surely be minimum 10. If they do they are idiots.

• Advertisement

you will have transport on top of that and nobody is going to haul to and from site for 6 hrs. Will surely be minimum 10. If they do they are idiots.

6 or 7 of 10/12ton diggers within 4/5km.

Now if a lad wants to charge transport fair enough, just keep going. Always another lad who will be passing. Any one day at least one of these diggers passes here. it takes 5 mins to drop ramps and take off a digger nowadays.

6 or 7 of 10/12ton diggers within 4/5km.

Now if a lad wants to charge transport fair enough, just keep going. Always another lad who will be passing. Any one day at least one of these diggers passes here. it takes 5 mins to drop ramps and take off a digger nowadays.

Im in the plant hire game.... youd get a two word answer from me tbh... 6 hours is your day gone... to earn €240 for a 13 tonner per day is financial suicide if you have wages, repayments, diesel, inurance etc. bar for it was cash and you could track into a neighbour or something as a favour. 5 minutes wouldnt unchain it never mind unload it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Im in the plant hire game.... youd get a two word answer from me tbh...

Would those two words be any of these combinations?
    "no bother"
    "surely Lakill"
    "tonight ok"
    "tomorrow morning"
    "right away"
    "dead on"

or would it be the same two words that you told your boss to do a week or so back? :D
    I thought you were outa that game?

To be honest, there'd be any amount of times that my contractor has either dropped a digger down here for a few hours to do a tidy up job and taken it back the same afternoon, now in fairness we have a decent relationship in that if he needs to take any of his machines away for a couple of days to do a small job before he's fully finished here i've no bother with that and thats how we work.

Think you need to remember Ireland ain't Manchester and building relationships with customers wouldn't be like it is here.

Im in the plant hire game.... youd get a two word answer from me tbh... 6 hours is your day gone... to earn €240 for a 13 tonner per day is financial suicide if you have wages, repayments, diesel, inurance etc. bar for it was cash and you could track into a neighbour or something as a favour. 5 minutes wouldnt unchain it never mind unload it.

Lots of lads would do it on a Saturday.

Pull in at 8am and be done at 2pm. They would be passing anyway so no massive haulage fees.

furthermore I can tell you this of the 6/7 of the 12 t machines a few of them are sitting at home doing nothing so lads might rather actually be out doing something than nothing. fixed costs like insurance, repayments have to be paid if its at home staying clean or earning its keep

Would those two words be any of these combinations?
    "no bother"
    "surely Lakill"
    "tonight ok"
    "tomorrow morning"
    "right away"
    "dead on"

or would it be the same two words that you told your boss to do a week or so back? :D

To be honest, there'd be any amount of times that my contractor has either dropped a digger down here for a few hours to do a tidy up job and taken it back the same afternoon, now in fairness we have a decent relationship in that if he needs to take any of his machines away for a couple of days to do a small job before he's fully finished here i've no bother with that and thats how we work.

Think you need to remember Ireland ain't Manchester and building relationships with customers wouldn't be like it is here.

that lad who you are quoting was dispatched, I got another lad in to bale and had no issues. the contractor who didn't turn up when he promised for 4 days till the wet day cornered me at the local garage the other day saying he would knock the grass for me. I told him I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it. At this time it was already mowed. I left him none the wiser in the same manner he didn't leave me any wiser. But im sure he gets the message as I passed his house with every bale and he can see the new ones stacked up out behind the yard.

Lots of lads would do it on a Saturday.

Pull in at 8am and be done at 2pm. They would be passing anyway so no massive haulage fees.

furthermore I can tell you this of the 6/7 of the 12 t machines a few of them are sitting at home doing nothing so lads might rather actually be out doing something than nothing. fixed costs like insurance, repayments have to be paid if its at home staying clean or earning its keep

my grandfather used to always say if you see an ass ride him... if someone will do that for so little they really are idiots. busy fools are easily found. id be looking to see if they are in fact insured etc if they will work for that.

• Advertisement

most lads are sold up. its a wonder them machines arent in nigeria/cameroon. there a massive shortage in second hand plant. theres an 09 3cx here worth more last year when we valued it than what was paid for it new.

my grandfather used to always say if you see an ass ride him... if someone will do that for so little they really are idiots. busy fools are easily found. id be looking to see if they are in fact insured etc if they will work for that.

I would never deny a person a living. Im not out looking for it to be done free. the going rate is €40 an hour plus vat. Its all supply and demand. Economics.

If a lad doesn't want to call for 6 hours work fine, keep going doesn't bother me. There will be another lad. And that other lad will get called when I want 3 or 4 days work done. Take the good with the bad.

The Irish building boom was built on greed by some. Lots others made a living out of it without " always winning". as we call them, "mé féiners"

There are always lads who want to "win , win , win" M

most lads are sold up. its a wonder them machines arent in nigeria/cameroon. there a massive shortage in second hand plant. theres an 09 3cx here worth more last year when we valued it than what was paid for it new.

No why would lads sell up? lots of these lads have updated there machinery in the last 3/5 years.

These lads are still keeping a good machine under themselves and there home.

Furthermore your talking about 2 different countries.

Would t
    "

i started with a new crowd on the monday (jacked on the sat morning) ... uncle was ringing me the monday morning... met him ... better terms!!!

i dont think it is so different tbh... i price work & deal with ppl both sides. had good chat with cousin on saturday about it. he builds passive homes and does small bit of plant. he said his biggest problem is trying to compete with clowns pricing with suicide rates that run for a while then bump the company and leave the bills behind.

No why would lads sell up? lots of these lads have updated there machinery in the last 3/5 years.

These lads are still keeping a good machine under themselves and there home.

Furthermore your talking about 2 different countries.

the amount of machinery that left ireland in the past 5 years is mad. i think there was 78 million (iirc ) spent in an auction in naas in one day around 2012/2013.

second hand plant is very expensive both in ireland & uk at the moment. i would be at auctions in either country most saturdays.

• Advertisement

the amount of machinery that left ireland in the past 5 years is mad. i think there was 78 million (iirc ) spent in an auction in naas in one day around 2012/2013.

second hand plant is very expensive both in ireland & uk at the moment. i would be at auctions in either country most saturdays.

ok , they might be facts but that's 3 years ago.

these are all individual lads. €35/40 is the rate here an hour. im not looking for lads to do it for €15 an hour sure.

I asked what the rate was for 6ton and for self drive.

To be honest id delighted your not in the area because I wount be calling you. No wonder the 09 3cx is worth more in 2014 than 2009 . sure it wasn't used. But you still had to insure it and make the repayments. Who needs there head examined

Also

would you rated get €40 x 6/8 hours and get paid for it

or €60 per hour for 10hours and not get paid for it?

ok , they might be facts but that's 3 years ago.

these are all individual lads. €35/40 is the rate here an hour. im not looking for lads to do it for €15 an hour sure.

I asked what the rate was for 6ton and for self drive.

To be honest id delighted your not in the area because I wount be calling you. No wonder the 09 3cx is worth more in 2014 than 2009 . sure it wasn't used. But you still had to insure it and make the repayments. Who needs there head examined

Also

would you rated get €40 x 6/8 hours and get paid for it

or €60 per hour for 10hours and not get paid for it?

machine is well used, has been on constant hire with a crowd doing trial holes for the hs2 rail line for last 6 weeks. 40 euro is decent enough rate... its the 6 hrs i wouldnt work with. when did i ever say i struggled to get paid for works completed??. there isnt a culture of that here thank god. its bad business imho to bump lads like that... ireland & uk is a small place and getting a name as a "bad payer" would render it impossible to work as everyone talks & credit checks etc are a matter of course.

machine is well used, has been on constant hore

either JCB gave it to you for free

or the 2014 valuer doesn't know his market

5 year old machinery don't go up in value

either JCB gave it to you for free

or the 2014 valuer doesn't know his market

5 year old machinery don't go up in value

its a fact... very few machines were bought over last number of years. jcbs have jumped in price, both new & secondhand.

its a fact... very few machines were bought over last number of years. jcbs have jumped in price, both new & secondhand.

excluding currency differences/?

excluding currency differences/?

bought in sterling & valued in sterling. seriously im not joking. there is a guy here who buys machines new outright. he then runs them for a year and sells them to whatever international market is thriving. thats his business model in a nutshell but it works. he is very very shrewd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

I would never deny a person a living. Im not out looking for it to be done free. the going rate is €40 an hour plus vat. Its all supply and demand. Economics.

You should get a lad for a half day no problem. That rate is about right for aroundhere also. Not every lad wants to work 12hrs a day, 6 days a week so it wouldin handy in a half day on a Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

If a lad doesn't want to call for 6 hours work fine, keep going doesn't bother me. There will be another lad. And that other lad will get called when I want 3 or 4 days work done. Take the good with the bad.

The Irish building boom was built on greed by some. Lots others made a living out of it without " always winning". as we call them, "mé féiners"

There are always lads who want to "win , win , win" M

My BIL runs a 13T Ex120.
    He says lads would have you broke running the roads for wee bits all the time.. He charges to move to small jobs, or if you can wait he'll work it into a bigger job in the area..
    ~€40/hr is his rate inc vat..

He said operators with drivers who are also drawing are ruinening the business round here.. Impossible to compete when the driver is already getting €200/week on the dole and then willing to work for cash on the side afterwards.. These operators have no employment overheads at all..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Bitta stump burning!

My BIL runs a 13T Ex120.
    He says lads would have you broke running the roads for wee bits all the time.. He charges to move to small jobs, or if you can wait he'll work it into a bigger job in the area..
    ~€40/hr is his rate inc vat..

He said operators with drivers who are also drawing are ruinening the business round here.. Impossible to compete when the driver is already getting €200/week on the dole and then willing to work for cash on the side afterwards.. These operators have no employment overheads at all..

my contractor has no issues moving for a few hours work, he treats everyone the same & has 4 diggers working full time ,

a few lads that came on the scene in the celtic tiger era & would laugh at you
    if you asked for half a day have bitten the dust & the 200 hp tractors bought to move the diggers are re possessed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement