Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sportives in 32 counties

Options
  • 05-05-2015 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

As a failed runner - its just too hard on the body - I've taken to the bike and have gotten hooked. Did my first 100K 2 years ago and last year I completed 6/7 sportives of 100K and over. This year I've set myself a long term challenge - well over 3 years or so (work, family kids etc determine the timeline) - complete a sportive event in every county in Ireland. Passing through a county doesn't count. It has to start and finish in the same county.
    Here's what I've done/planned for 2015:
    Done
    Skoda Series 100K (Sligo)
    Western Lakes Atlantic Challenge 144k (Galway)
    An Post Tour of Sligo (160K) - (Sligo) Ok Sligo again - I live there !

Coming up
    May Lough Key Challenge 120K (Roscommon)
    June Wicklow 200 (Wicklow)
    July Ring of Kerry
    Maybe An Post in Meath or Waterford
    Giro de Baile an Chaisle 120k (Mayo)
    Yeats 200 (Leitrim)

Anyone got any other ideas or good spins that I should look at consider.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Mount Leinster Challenge- Starts in Wexford.May 16th
    Tour of Louth- Starts in Louth.
    Pat Halligan Sportive- Starts in Dublin. May 9th
    Lap the Lough-Co. Tyrone. August 30th
    Gran Fondo Giro d'Italia- Antrim June 21st

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭BGT

Leinster Loop 130 kms 16th August 2015 (Kildare) www.leinsterloop.com

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

How did you miss this and it so close to you,

http://www.donegalbaycyclingclub.com/leisure/

never mind put it in the diary for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Tour de Burren in Clare

Rebel Tour in Cork - in September so more or less the end of the season

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Assuming it's still going ahead, the cycle4life is normally the day before the WW200 in Meath I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Quickpip

spudbike wrote: »
    As a failed runner - its just too hard on the body - I've taken to the bike and have gotten hooked. Did my first 100K 2 years ago and last year I completed 6/7 sportives of 100K and over. This year I've set myself a long term challenge - well over 3 years or so (work, family kids etc determine the timeline) - complete a sportive event in every county in Ireland. Passing through a county doesn't count. It has to start and finish in the same county.
    Here's what I've done/planned for 2015:
    Done
    Skoda Series 100K (Sligo)
    Western Lakes Atlantic Challenge 144k (Galway)
    An Post Tour of Sligo (160K) - (Sligo) Ok Sligo again - I live there !

Coming up
    May Lough Key Challenge 120K (Roscommon)
    June Wicklow 200 (Wicklow)
    July Ring of Kerry
    Maybe An Post in Meath or Waterford
    Giro de Baile an Chaisle 120k (Mayo)
    Yeats 200 (Leitrim)

Anyone got any other ideas or good spins that I should look at consider.

16/08 2015 August Inishowen 100 160km Foyle CC Donegal
    23/08/2015 ETAPE MOURNE chain Reaction 110km with about 2000 meters of climbing around South Down.
    12/09/2015 September Giants Causeway Coast sportive 182km Antrim

• Registered Users Posts: 29 spudbike

Iwernia, Donegal clashed with Confirmation this year - on the list for 2016 tho'.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

The remaining 5 in the skoda series will cover 5 more counties for you, Cavan, Wexford, cork, Mayo and Louth

http://www.fitmagazine.ie/magazine/article/shkoda-cycle-series-2015-are-you-a-warrior-or-a-legend

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Tour de Kilkenny is traditionally on Saturday of August bank holiday weekend, with the Wexford Wheelers Sportive (Tour of Wexford?) on the following day. Chance to nab two distant ones the same weekend.

Buzwaldo, that's a great idea. Was planning for Giro de Bhaile an Chaise on Baalycastle Mayo that weekend but this seems like a better idea. Now to get a pass from her indoors for the Bank Holiday weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Come visit on http://www.audaxireland.org. Minimum spin distance is 200km and you get to visit every little back road/boreen in the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Thekeencyclist

Longford Cycle Tour from what I understand is on June 21st this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

The Peatlands Tour 2015 https://www.facebook.com/events/1683481025212872/permalink/1683481878546120/ 16/05/2015 40 km 80 km
    Cavan Challenge 2015 http://www.fitmagazine.ie/events/race/skoda-cycle-series-cavan-challenge 12/06/2015 50 km 80 km 160 km
    Ballagh Challenge http://www.ballaghcyclingchallenge.com/ 22/06/2015 40 km 90 km

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

There's two in South Tipp that are quite good - some nice climbs in them:

August Bank Holiday usually, Suir Valley 3 day race is on this weekend, the sportive is part of it.
    http://suirvalley3day.com/index.php/tour-de-suir/tour-de-suir-100km-sportive/

Sunday May 24th
    http://www.comeraghtour.com/route-map.html

marvin80 wrote: »
    There's two in South Tipp that are quite good - some nice climbs in them:

In what alternative reality is the Comeragh tour in South Tipperary? Even the Tour de Suir is mostly in Waterford!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Rebel Tour in Cork - in September so more or less the end of the season
    In what alternative reality is the Comeragh tour in South Tipperary? Even the Tour de Suir is mostly in Waterford!

the irony. sure the rebel tour is mostly in Kerry

Hey Spidbike, this sounds like a great idea / recipe for divorce (delete as appropriate).
    It's doable with planning and the right timeframe. Would be great if you could keep us posted periodically on progress in this thread.
    While the cycling Ireland calender is a good resource, there are smaller sportives / community spins that don't find their way on there and might plug a gap at an appropriate time/ county.
    Other than the 3 organised by cycling clubs in kilkenny there are at least 2 others in the county that exceed 100 k.
    Let us know on here if you have any particular weekend free or area you need to hit.
    Best of luck with it.

mossym wrote: »
    the irony. sure the rebel tour is mostly in Kerry

60k out of 160 is an odd version of mostly ;) - the Comeragh tour has less than 5km in Tipperary. Anyway the OP said he wanted his routes to start and finish in the same county to qualify. Tour de Suir would be Tipperary, Rebel Tour is Cork, Comeragh tour or the Sean Kelly is Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

My bad - the Comeragh Tour is in Waterford. The Tour de Suir is mostly in Waterford, but starts and finsihes in Clonmel so we'll say it's a Tipperary sportive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

60k out of 160 is an odd version of mostly ;) - the Comeragh tour has less than 5km in Tipperary. Anyway the OP said he wanted his routes to start and finish in the same county to qualify.

Comeragh tour starts and finishes in Co Waterford. It never crosses Suir.

Let me know how you go telling the Carrickbeg lads they are from Tipp...

It does cross into Borough council areas of Carrick and Clonmel though. Old Bridge area in Clonmel might be a better bet for your Tipp territory but thread carefully :-)

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    Comeragh tour starts and finishes in Co Waterford. It never crosses Suir.

Let me know how you go telling the Carrickbeg lads they are from Tipp...

It does cross into Borough council areas of Carrick and Clonmel though. Old Bridge area in Clonmel might be a better bet for your Tipp territory but thread carefully :-)

The 5k(ish) I was talking about would be in Clonmel alright - I thought the south side of the river in Clonmel town was Tipperary. Raheen & Oldbridge areas - I'd never dream of lumping Carrickbeg in with Tipp! :D

The 5k(ish) I was talking about would be in Clonmel alright - I thought the south side of the river in Clonmel town was Tipperary. Raheen & Oldbridge areas - I'd never dream of lumping Carrickbeg in with Tipp! :D

Tp settle the Tipp Waterford debate. I'll do the An Post event in Waterford. Still looking for ideas for Carlow, Offaly Westmeath and Dublin too though

Tp settle the Tipp Waterford debate. I'll do the An Post event in Waterford. Still looking for ideas for Carlow, Offaly Westmeath and Dublin too though

Carlow - Carlow cycling club run a few events during the year - maybe the Humpy 100? http://www.carlowcycling.ie/events/4558981415

Offaly - Tour of the Midlands? http://www.irishheart.ie/iopen24/sean-kelly-tour-midlands-2015-t-10_26_1298.html

Westmeath - Tour of the Lakes http://www.lakesidewheelers.ie/tourofthelakes2014

I'll let some of the club members from Dublin try to sell you their sportives

Roscommon ticked off the list. Did the Lough Key Challenge at the weekend from Boyle. Nice feature of this was optional King of the Mountains Challenge that added an additional 10k to overall distance and sent us opting to take the challenge up the 18% (yep) Staunton's Brae and onto Kilronan mountain. Good day out all round. So 3 down 29 to go.... Wicklow next up.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

That's Wicklow ticked off my "32 county sportive" challenge. Did the Wicklow 200 yesterday. Really enjoyable day out and great to challenge myself against some iconic climbs of Irish cycling. So, 4 down. (Sligo, Galway, Roscommon & Wicklow). Busy with family stuff next 2 weekends, so next thing planned is Ring of Kerry. However I'm also looking for an event for June 27/28 - that's not in any of the counties named above - any suggestions?

That's Wicklow ticked off my "32 county sportive" challenge. Did the Wicklow 200 yesterday. Really enjoyable day out and great to challenge myself against some iconic climbs of Irish cycling. So, 4 down. (Sligo, Galway, Roscommon & Wicklow). Busy with family stuff next 2 weekends, so next thing planned is Ring of Kerry. However I'm also looking for an event for June 27/28 - that's not in any of the counties named above - any suggestions?

Explore Mayo Sportive on the 27th in Castlebar or the Causeway Gran Fondo in Antrim on the 28th,

There's a list of all the cycling Ireland sanctioned events on their website click here

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Tour de Kilkenny is traditionally on Saturday of August bank holiday weekend, with the Wexford Wheelers Sportive (Tour of Wexford?) on the following day. Chance to nab two distant ones the same weekend.

Hey Spud, I hope you weren't planning on using your bank holiday weekend to nab these two events. Just heard today that the Tour of Wexford is postponed until September
    https://www.facebook.com/WexfordWheelersCyclingClub?fref=ts

Anyway, I can assure you that the Tour de Kilkenny is going ahead on Saturday August 1st.

How are you progressing??

Thanks for info Buzwaldo, but as Wexford out of the picture this weekend will head for Giro d'Baile in Mayo on Sunday. Since last post have done Ring of Kerry - what a shakedown, wouldn't do it again in a hurry , too expensive and too congested - and did Tour of Meath last Sunday in horrendous weather. Yeats 200 is coming up in Leitrim in Sept as is Causeway Coast in Antrim, if I do these 2 that'll leave me on 9 counties for the year , SO, RN, G, KY, W, MH, MO, LM, ANTRIM, which I'll be happy enough with for 2015. Not ruling anything else out, but to maintain domestic diplomacy anything after that is a bonus.

• Advertisement

So missed out on Giro d'Bhaile in Mayo - domestic diplomacy. Did Tour of Kildare. Great fast flat spin. Really enjoyable. Well done Naas CC. Good value and good cause supported. Plan was Yeats 200 next in Leitrim and Causeway Coast in Antrim, but.....
    Out for spin on at the weekend and a fool of dog ran out chased front wheel and ended up under wheel. Helmet saved head and lots of road burn and today I discover that ache and stiffness in my shoulder is caused by broken collarbone. F#@% that.
    So I'll be out of the saddle for a while. Hope to be ready for Croi in Tullamore in October. That bloody dog....

Advertisement