Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sportives in 32 counties

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

If you are back for October, you might be able to cross Kilkenny off your list:

http://www.deensidewheelers.com/leisure/castlecomerchallenge

• Registered Users Posts: 29 spudbike

Still out of action. It turns out collarbone not broken, however SC joint dislocated and T1 rib broken. Hospital presume ligament damage too.Sling for 3 more weeks. Regardless cant cycle or drive. With only 7 counties knocked of list have serious planning to di for 2016 to catch up. That bloody dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

spudbike wrote: »
    Still out of action. It turns out collarbone not broken, however SC joint dislocated and T1 rib broken. Hospital presume ligament damage too.Sling for 3 more weeks. Regardless cant cycle or drive. With only 7 counties knocked of list have serious planning to di for 2016 to catch up. That bloody dog.

Spud. I was really taken by your 32 plan its a great goal and hope you recovery goes well. I had great plans for 2015 (my 50th) and have been on the bike 4 times.
    The calander of events stays pretty much the same so maybe use the time to start the road plan of the 32. Once your back u will have had the winter break so you can restart you training a few weeks early. You can aim for 32 long routes ;-).

Well got the show back on the road this past Sunday with the Leitrim Cycling Club's Tour of Leitrim. A grand 101k spin on a nice day. Thankfully the recent fall hasn't made me nervous or anything and it was just the inactivity of the last few weeks that left me struggling for the last few flat kms. Anyway its good to be back in action. So the plan goes ahead - Leitrim off the list. So as it stands now Galway, Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim, Meath, Kildare, Wicklow and Kerry ticked off. Doesn't seem to be a whole pile one the cycling Ireland leisure calendar for the next 2 weekends that grabs my attention, but if anyone has any suggestions................

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Exiled1

Castlecomer challenge on 16 October is a good 100k with a sting in the tail. Begins and ends in Co. Kilkenny and much easier than the Tour de Kilkenny 1st weekend in August.

• Advertisement

Any suggestions for 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

Thanks for that Iwernia. Mighty value at 15 notes. Will aim for the 140K there. Finally something to focus on and train for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Iwernia wrote: »

The ride details, rules and warnings etc on that are just excellent.
    If there was ever a template for others, I think this comes pretty close!

Well done Donegal Bay Cycling Club!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Hu Deman

Blazing saddles Trip to Tipp For NCBI always a great cycle with two or three routes each year.held around middle of August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Iwernia

Here is the Facebook event link....

https://www.facebook.com/events/178742669146703/

And here is a deal we received for the weekend of the event in the local hotel..

We are delighted to announce special rates for anyone wishing to stay over night for our leisure event in April in conjunction with the Abbey Hotel Donegal Town.
    Weekend Rates for 1 B&B for 2 people €139
    Weekend Rates for 1 B&B + 1 Dinner for 2 people €179
    Weekend Rates for 2 B&B for €104 PPS
    Weekend Rates for 2 B&B + 1 Dinner €124 PPS
    ADD A THIRD NIGHT B&B FOR ONLY €45 PPS

http://www.abbeyhoteldonegal.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiAr8W2BRD2qbCOv8_H7qEBEiQA1ErTBq6HuPRV8wOrPTy8E8l4exiV5Rcz0NOQouiezu9s-QsaAlnN8P8HAQ

Just mighty value all round.

So with 2016 almost complete another few counties knocked off the list DL, WH, CE, MO, WD, and Antrim. That's 15 done. Muster and ulster proving to be logistically tougher than I anticipated. Anyway on to 2017. Any suggestions? Looking for Tipp, Limerick, Longford, Offaly, Cavan suggestions. Or any biggish event.
    I've started so I'll finish......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Sorry haven't read it all but Lap of the lough will hit Tyrone Armagh Down Antrim and Derry for you.

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Sorry haven't read it all but Lap of the lough will hit Tyrone Armagh Down Antrim and Derry for you.

Have Lap the Lough on the hit list for 2017. Looks like good event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

spudbike wrote:

Its decent enough. Pretty flat and gets a lot of people new to cycling doing it as a challenge.

Its always sold out so get it booked in before end if spring at latest I'd say.
    2k cap on numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,402 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Sinbad_NI wrote: »
    Its decent enough. Pretty flat and gets a lot of people new to cycling doing it as a challenge.

Its always sold out so get it booked in before end if spring at latest I'd say.
    2k cap on numbers.

Done 3 of them was getting v expensive with exchange rate might be cheaper next year.

An post events pricing themselves out of the market as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I've done Lap the Lough 6 times. Its a great event, well organised, well run, good food, great scenery. If they finish it in the same place as this year, the view at the Start/Finish is breathtaking.

Peatlands challenge is too short - the criteria I've set for this is that it has to be 100k. Offaly does seem to have plenty of sportives though.

That Cavan cycle - if thats the Skoda one Its been cancelled twice this year. Not sure whats going on there.

Two good options there for Tipp - south Tipp is a long journey down from the NW though - anything happening up North Tipp that you know off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Done 3 of them was getting v expensive with exchange rate might be cheaper next year.

Is there a list/stickied list anywhere of sportives in Ireland with dates and prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Chuchote wrote: »
    Is there a list/stickied list anywhere of sportives in Ireland with dates and prices?

This would probably be the closest http://www.cyclingireland.ie/page/events/events-calendar-2016/leisure-events

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

That Cavan cycle - if thats the Skoda one Its been cancelled twice this year. Not sure whats going on there.
    The Dying Light goes through Cavan... For about 3 out of 200km though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Limerick June 2017 - approx date 25th. choice of 75km flatish route or 120km with a nice pacy speed and hill.

http://www.cycle4sickchildren.com/single-post/2016/06/26/C4SC-Awareness-Tour-2016

The Dying Light goes through Cavan... For about 3 out of 200km though :)
    3k in Cavan no good doesn't count. P
    The other criteria I have is that it's got to start and finish in the county to qualify - I don't do passing thru......

Advertisement