Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solpadeine addiction

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,257 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

MrWalsh wrote: »
    And how do you determine an "average" headache? Pain is subjective.

I'd say the difference is where you cant actually complete normal tasks.

So if you can pop down to the shops it's ok. If you can't watch TV, that's bad.

There's a bit of variation. If you work in a job that needs concentration it may warrant a stronger response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Grayson wrote: »
    I'd say the difference is where you cant actually complete normal tasks.

So if you can pop down to the shops it's ok. If you can't watch TV, that's bad.

There's a bit of variation. If you work in a job that needs concentration it may warrant a stronger response.

Again though, "normal tasks" is subjective. Your normal task could be flying a plane. Mine could be putting a wash on.

I know people who absolutely refuse to "give in" to a headache and will not take anything for one. I just dont get that. Why would you want to suffer when you could take 2 tablets?

Im not a masochist - if I have pain, Id rather get rid of it.

Well there's something wrong insofar as my uterus is contracting and shedding its lining. Dunno who you're hanging round with but most women I've met seem to experience cramps to some degree, doesn't mean something is wrong.

I was on the pill before, no cramps but it made me mental. An old doobie or a couple solpadeine two or three days out of the month is preferable for me.

Edit: I've a feeling that's coming across narky! Didn't mean it to be, I'm sleep deprived and no talk good today

I've known some that have massive mood swings and tremendous pain. Nothing wrong with them, it's just what they're like.

There was one woman on the BBC who had been treated for bi polar for 20 years. Eventually a smart doctor did some hormone tests. turned out she had PMS for about a week and a half before and after her period. A few months of testing different meds and she was fine.

I realize that 95% of women suffer something that can be described and mild or severe discomfort but for some it's absolutely horrible.

Personally I take ibuprofen for headaches. I have nurofen plus for those extremely rare hangovers that feel like my head explodes. One card would d me 18 months. It's an amazing drug but you need t be very wary with that ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

My sister who used to work with a qualified pharmacist might I add, told her that she'd get up on a Sat morning, swallow two solpadeine and get a great burst of energy to help her clean the house!

Again though, "normal tasks" is subjective. Your normal task could be flying a plane. Mine could be putting a wash on.

I know people who absolutely refuse to "give in" to a headache and will not take anything for one. I just dont get that. Why would you want to suffer when you could take 2 tablets?

Im not a masochist - if I have pain, Id rather get rid of it.

I had this discussion with someone ( a nurse) the other day. Medicine is a tool. It ca and should be used correctly in the right situations. Have a headache? Take a paracetamol. It's not fcuking heroin.

It reminds me of the first episode of scrubs. Cox gets pissed off because JD asks how much tylonol to give a patient. "You take a fistful and throw it at them. Whatever goes in is the correct dosage".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Oh I appreciate that. That is its most famous use, for thursh.

But it is also used to treat skin conditions like psoriaisis as it is contains steroids like hydrocortisone, which is found in many creams for psoriasis.

http://www.papaa.org/antifungals/canesten-hc

Highly risky without medical advice, and not even just a GP but someone with an idea of dermatology, as steroids can cause the skin to go stir crazy.

Canestan (anti-fungal) is available OTC and the reason why you are questioned when buying it is to identify customers who are using it incorrectly or where there may be an underlying condition causing the symptoms of thrush such as undiagnosed or poorly controlled diabetes.
    Canestan HC contains an anti-fungal and a steroid and is prescription only.

btw, my last job involved crises management. Very stressful and very immediate. However I'd get through with an ibuprofen. However my family all work in medicine. Doctors, nurse and paramedic. They have a very blase view of drugs. Their drug cabinets at home are so well stocked I know one ho got a IV drip for a really bad hangover.

I'm backpacking at the moment and as Ads by Google said, drugs are everywhere. The nurse I was talking to has about 4 types of anti depressants. She onl;y ever uses them when she has to take a long bus ride (Some bus rides are over 20 hours)

That's the difference though. There;'s a huge range of drugs and most people don' know when to use which and how long they should use it for.

Even something simple like asprin, paracetamol or ibuprofen. Some are better that others at different types of pain. Yet some people don't know this and so just take whatever they have to hand or whatever advert they last saw.

I had this discussion with someone ( a nurse) the other day. Medicine is a tool. It ca and should be used correctly in the right situations. Have a headache? Take a paracetamol. It's not fcuking heroin.

Bit off topic but I think that people who are very resistant to taking something for a headache think that taking something equates with weakness?

Not sure, theres a guy I work with who claims he doesnt like to pollute his body with chemicals such a headache tablets but I see him reheating his last nights chinese takeaway leftovers regularly so clearly some chemicals are ok!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I was on Tylex 250 Mg up to 6 times a day with a disk pressing on a nerve in my back which I guess is a lot of Codene. But I went in for the Cortizone shots into my back and came pretty much straight off the pain killers in a few days without any noticable effects, so I guess its horses for courses.

However my family all work in medicine. Doctors, nurse and paramedic. They have a very blase view of drugs. Their drug cabinets at home are so well stocked I know one ho got a IV drip for a really bad hangover.

Aye, even my local pharmacist told me he'd sort me out if I suffered a bad hangover (I get awful stomach acid from drinking, no headache or anything, just a bad stomach for days....) - course Id be too embarrassed to follow him up on that!

• Advertisement

Canestan (anti-fungal) is available OTC and the reason why you are questioned when buying it is to identify customers who are using it incorrectly or where there may be an underlying condition causing the symptoms of thrush such as undiagnosed or poorly controlled diabetes.
    Canestan HC contains an anti-fungal and a steroid and is prescription only.

I went for a full std test. I had itchy balls. Doctor does every possible test and it comes back clear. He asked if I ate mushrooms. I said no, I hate mushrooms. But... I eat a lot of quorn.

Turns out you can get a minor fungal infection through excess mycoprotein intake. That's the last think I would have considered treating myself for. Turns oit I should have used caneston rather than anthesin.

btw, I changed my diet and 3 days later I was fine.

(TMI?)

Bit off topic but I think that people who are very resistant to taking something for a headache think that taking something equates with weakness?

Not sure, theres a guy I work with who claims he doesnt like to pollute his body with chemicals such a headache tablets but I see him reheating his last nights chinese takeaway leftovers regularly so clearly some chemicals are ok!

I know someone who wont take aspirin but will drink willow tea.

It's the same thing!!!

I know someone who wont take aspirin but will drink willow tea.

It's the same thing!!!

Mental note - dont drink willow tea......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Happens all the time, pharmacy staff tend to be a judgemental stuck up bunch of so and so's, I generally make up the most embarrassing reason for needing them.

I got questioned while buying cainsten cream last week. Just waited in silence while she listed off possible reasons I wanted it. Eventually she got the hint and just went and got it.

That's just being rude, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭When the Sun Hits

There's not much recreational value to Solpadeine in my opinion. It's highly addictive however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Tylex ftw.Not only will they make you constipated,you'll also scratch half the skin of your face,like any opiate.

I was on tylex for a year. I never had any of that. I only took what I needed though. Full dose for 3 or 4 weeks then maybe 2 or 3 a day for the rest of the time. Came off them no problem when pain went.

Don't see how they were addictive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

anncoates wrote: »
    That's just being rude, to be fair.

missed this then ?
    Canestan (anti-fungal) is available OTC and the reason why you are questioned when buying it is to identify customers who are using it incorrectly or where there may be an underlying condition causing the symptoms of thrush such as undiagnosed or poorly controlled diabetes.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

I got braces last September, but had to have four teeth pulled beforehand - one of them ended in dry-socket. I couldn't take ibuprofen because it's an anti-inflammatory, which would interfere with the healing of the dry-socket.

I ended up taking Solpedine for 10 days, taking a couple of tablets every 3/4 hours. I never once felt like I was even mildly buzzing off them, I just felt miserable. That kind of dosage of Solpedine for that many consecutive days came with a few side-effects!

1. Crippling insomnia. I would lie in bed at night and just stare at the ceiling. I had never experienced insomnia before, and never want to ever again.

2. Seriously bad constipation. Didn't see head nor tail of a faeces for five days. My stomach was in ribbons. When I did manage to pass a stool, it was so big I called all of my housemates in to look at it. The texture was insanely smooth, minimal torque. I tried flushing it, ended up blocking the toilet. Had to go outside and get a stick and poke around till I broke it all up.

3. Piles. The result of pushing out that monstrous stool, and another one a few days later. I never had piles before, never want to have them again. I was too embarrassed to go to a doctor so just suffered for a few days until they went away.

They should print this story on the back of Solpedine boxes just in case anyone thinks about abusing them.

Mental note - dont drink willow tea......

they discovered aspirin because people who sat under willow trees lost headaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

gctest50 wrote: »
    missed this then ?

I meant the poster was being rude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

jungleman wrote: »
    1. Crippling insomnia. I would lie in bed at night and just stare at the ceiling. I had never experienced insomnia before, and never want to ever again.

60mg of caffeine in 2 tablets. You should talk to your doctor about aternatives to analgesics containing caffeine if you ever have a similar issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Are you serious?? Even the most mild of my periods come with pain. Unrealistic to expect no pain.

I have had codeine addiction. Got through about 1.5 packs a day. Wasn't easy stopping. Coldness and sickness.
    pwurple wrote:
    Periods are not usually painful unless something is going on. It's called dysmenorrhea and there are loads of causes. Fibroids, cysts, endometriosis etc. A decent GP will do some tests.

Would you take painkillers for the rest of your life if you had a broken leg, or would you get it treated?

I had endo, it started after my last pregnancy. I got it diagnosed, treated, and I'm back to my normal non-painful state.

Painkillers should really be a short term solution, unless you have a chronic untreatable condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Yeah, my dad is totally addicted. Takes about 6 Maxilief (generic paracetamol & codeine) every single day. The paracetamol is actually the bigger worry for me as he's a heavy drinker too.

My brother also once knew a woman who was so addicted to Solpadeine she came home from a two-week holiday early because she'd gone through her supply by the fourth day and opiate painkillers weren't available OTC in the country she was in.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Jeez my pharmacist gave the oh a pack of the solphadeine tablets, the other day when he went in looking for something for toothache

Not the soluble ones

I was taking them took about four a day for a couple of days didn't notice any side effects

Tylex sends me loopy can't cope with more than one at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Saw a guy on the television before who became clinically addicted to Toblerone.

Did he drive all the way to Dundee in his bare feet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

My Mrs has to take Tylex for her back pain.
    I've taken a couple here and there and there is some kick off the damn things!
    I can see how some people can get addicted to the likes of them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My Mrs has to take Tylex for her back pain.
    I've taken a couple here and there and there is some kick off the damn things!
    I can see how some people can get addicted to the likes of them.

If you start feeling disoriented they've fully kicked in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Rezident

For my hangovers, aspirin, paracetamol, ibuprofen etc. are completely useless, a glass of water does me more good. Codeine works!

Sadly, junkies were eating them like smarties so they have ruined it for everyone. There is nothing wrong with appropriate drug usage, abuse is the problem. Some people just can't be trusted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭libelula

Rezident wrote: »
    For my hangovers, aspirin, paracetamol, ibuprofen etc. are completely useless, a glass of water does me more good. Codeine works!

Sadly, junkies were eating them like smarties so they have ruined it for everyone. There is nothing wrong with appropriate drug usage, abuse is the problem. Some people just can't be trusted.

Not everyone who gets addicted to codeine is a 'junkie'. The vast majority who do are regular people whi were unfortunate enough to have gotten addicted to it after a short course of usage. It has nothing to do with trust, and a bit of tolerance and understanding goes a long way.

• Advertisement

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Yeah, my dad is totally addicted. Takes about 6 Maxilief (generic paracetamol & codeine) every single day. The paracetamol is actually the bigger worry for me as he's a heavy drinker too.

The alcohol mix can be an issue afaik.

Used to take headache tablets after a night on the beer 10 years ago, felt it helped me when I woke up in the morning. Mentioned it to a sibling who is a GP and they tut tutted, saying that was putting some organ (not sure if liver or kidneys) through an awful lot.

Advertisement