Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMail Admin accounts

Options
  • 05-05-2015 11:03am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey there,

Not sure if anyone can help but I'll ask anyway.

A small business I know the owner of migrated all of their business email to gmail to make things a little easier to manage, cheaper to run and maintain and then linked it all to their business domain.

All was going well until a new starter in the company required an email and they discovered that they cannot access their admin account to set up a new email account.

I've helped them run the usual steps to help reset the password, cname entries etc and they get the option to reset the password but when they do, nothing.

The gmail system is not recognising the new password. They have tried it 3 times and still no use. Is there a waiting period required for this change to take place?

I can't find any info on if they have to wait for a period of time for the password change to filter down but if this is the case then so be it.

They can't contact anyone in Google unless they log in with their admin account which makes no sense as they are trying to reset this in the first place. :rolleyes:

Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks,
    Tox

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭phill106

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Hey there,

Not sure if anyone can help but I'll ask anyway.

A small business I know the owner of migrated all of their business email to gmail to make things a little easier to manage, cheaper to run and maintain and then linked it all to their business domain.

All was going well until a new starter in the company required an email and they discovered that they cannot access their admin account to set up a new email account.

I've helped them run the usual steps to help reset the password, cname entries etc and they get the option to reset the password but when they do, nothing.

The gmail system is not recognising the new password. They have tried it 3 times and still no use. Is there a waiting period required for this change to take place?

I can't find any info on if they have to wait for a period of time for the password change to filter down but if this is the case then so be it.

They can't contact anyone in Google unless they log in with their admin account which makes no sense as they are trying to reset this in the first place. :rolleyes:

Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks,
    Tox
    tried all this?
    https://support.google.com/a/answer/33561?hl=en

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

phill106 wrote: »

Yes I've tried all of these. Including 3 x CNAME queries at this stage and nothing is working. I've reset the password each time and waited a while, then nothing. Still getting the same error message that the username or password is incorrect.

At this stage I'm thinking they made a mistake moving to gmail as the support options are woefully bad especially for small companies who dont have onsite support.

Sometimes its nice to have someone at the other end of the phone to talk to if you have questions outside the normal support issues.

Ahh well, I'll keep looking, but if anyone has any other options to try, please let me know.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hmm. So, and they don't have access to either their recovery email address or phone number either?

I assume you've tried different browsers/ machines in case something is being cached?

There are some companies who resell gmail for business accounts, they would have a good idea on how it works. Maybe start a small support contract with them, and have them manage the google for business setup. Baker security is one I know of, I think they are in Dublin. http://bsn.ie/

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Thanks for the info. Managed to get it all sorted this morning not long after my second post. A member of Google tech support called me and got everything reset.

I've put a few bits in place to stop it happening again.

I'm going to put something together over the weekend for them to have a look at in the way of backup email accounts, phone numbers, passwords and then get the new Google verification app installed on their phones.

I also set up an admin account specifically for me which they won't have access to so they can't repeat this in the future :)

Cheers for the info though. Handy to have.

Tox
    pwurple wrote: »
    Hmm. So, and they don't have access to either their recovery email address or phone number either?

I assume you've tried different browsers/ machines in case something is being cached?

There are some companies who resell gmail for business accounts, they would have a good idea on how it works. Maybe start a small support contract with them, and have them manage the google for business setup. Baker security is one I know of, I think they are in Dublin. http://bsn.ie/

Advertisement