Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Mortgages work from bank to bank

Options
  • 05-05-2015 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭

Specifically the term left on Mortgage and the Monthly (or in my case, bi-weekly) payment due.

I threw in a few extra grand to mine recently to lower the term of it. Instead, the bank lowers my fixed payment to ensure that it is finished on same date. Not what i wanted.

Just wondering if its standard practice. Guess i need to write to them to keep the same usual payment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭NewDirection

Every bank has a default, either to reduce the term or reduce the payment. (I'd say most if not all default to reduce the payment), if you want to reduce the term you can write a letter to tell them to do such when your making the overpayment. I've done this before in store and got customer service to send it in the internal mail.

Advertisement