Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help me find the right Leatherman

• 05-05-2015 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm on the market for a new multi-tool and after using them for about 25 years, I know more or less what I want. The trouble is finding a model that has everything I need.

Here's what I would like:
    • pliers (spring-loaded would be nice)
    • plain edge knife
    • scissors
    • file (quite long if possible)
    • big flat-head screwdriver
    • small flat-head screw
    • Philips-head screwdriver
    • smaller (flat) Philips-head-like screwdriver
    • an awl would be nice, but I can live without it

I'm not bothered either way if it has a saw.

I really like the blade shape on the Leap, but unfortunately the Leap doesn't have a file (unless I'm wrong).

The Wingman ticks most of the boxes, and is about the right size, though the half-serrated blade and the short file put me off a bit.

The Juice XE6 seems to have everything on my list, although it's slightly smaller than I was planning on getting, and I'm not too keen on the scales.

I'd rather not get one of the huge models and I also want to avoid any that have removable screwdriver bits.

Pretty sure i want to stick with Leatherman. I'm not keen on the Gerbers (I've had a few), or SOG (also had one). I suppose I would consider a Victorinox if it came highly recommended.

Anyone got any other ideas I might not have thought about?

I appreciate any and all replies.
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭spynappels

I had a Sidekick (Wingman's brother) and didn't get on with it. Build quality wasn't as good as I'd come to expect, and the blade broke. Leatherman replaced it under warranty, but I sold it and got a Skeletool.

Skeletool does not tick your boxes though.

Sorry to not be of more help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

Sounds like a leatherman wave would do what your looking for or the rebar is cheaper but I don't think it has scissors to deal with this I'd recommend the leatherman micra or cs style personally I use a leatherman juice S2 as EDC but I have a surge also for heavy duty jobs I'm waiting on a wave that I'm getting on trade with a friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Rosahane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

I have a surge, if you can gwt one id recommend that
    https://www.leatherman.com/surge-3.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭biketard

Thanks, lads (and ladies?)

I forgot to add that I have a Squirt PS4 on my keyring that I use several times a day. I'm looking for a sort of next-level multi-tool. I'd hate to rely on the PS4 scissors for anything tough.

Believe it or not, I'm still using a PSII (plain label), but some recent DIY jobs made me realise a few things I'm not entirely happy with about that:
    - not overly happy with the serrated blade
    - scissors have a tendency to fold in half even when the material they're cutting isn't particularly tough
    - wire cutters have got a bit bent out of shape, so the pliers don't open as easily as they used to
    - the handle is really painful when you grip it tightly (to loosen a nut for example).

But apart from that, I like most of the things about the PSII. The size is right, it's got scissors, good screwdriver options, long file, a smaller flat-head screwdriver that is small enough to use as an awl. I also actually like that the blade doesn't lock (but it still can't close on your fingers), because this makes it legal to carry in the UK.

That Surge looks great. Maybe a little larger than I wanted, but I'll certainly give it a look. The Philips-head removable screwdriver bit isn't to my liking, but apart from that it ticks all the boxes.

Maybe I should get a Surge and a Juice XE6, ha.

• Advertisement

biketard wrote: »
    Thanks, lads (and ladies?)

I forgot to add that I have a Squirt PS4 on my keyring that I use several times a day. I'm looking for a sort of next-level multi-tool. I'd hate to rely on the PS4 scissors for anything tough.

Believe it or not, I'm still using a PSII (plain label), but some recent DIY jobs made me realise a few things I'm not entirely happy with about that:
    - not overly happy with the serrated blade
    - scissors have a tendency to fold in half even when the material they're cutting isn't particularly tough
    - wire cutters have got a bit bent out of shape, so the pliers don't open as easily as they used to
    - the handle is really painful when you grip it tightly (to loosen a nut for example).

But apart from that, I like most of the things about the PSII. The size is right, it's got scissors, good screwdriver options, long file, a smaller flat-head screwdriver that is small enough to use as an awl. I also actually like that the blade doesn't lock (but it still can't close on your fingers), because this makes it legal to carry in the UK.

That Surge looks great. Maybe a little larger than I wanted, but I'll certainly give it a look. The Philips-head removable screwdriver bit isn't to my liking, but apart from that it ticks all the boxes.

Maybe I should get a Surge and a Juice XE6, ha.

i don't mind the removable screwdriver bits at all, they are held in pretty tight and have never come loose. iv used the Philips a fair bit too and it works fine.

did you decide what to get? or get your hands on the surge to try it out? my wife (girlfriend at the time) got me the surge for xmas one year, she was obviously reading my internet history! (i may start looking at a Rolex, my 30th is coming up:D)

aaakev wrote: »
    i don't mind the removable screwdriver bits at all, they are held in pretty tight and have never come loose. iv used the Philips a fair bit too and it works fine.

OK, good to know, thanks.
    aaakev wrote: »
    did you decide what to get? or get your hands on the surge to try it out? my wife (girlfriend at the time) got me the surge for xmas one year, she was obviously reading my internet history! (i may start looking at a Rolex, my 30th is coming up:D)

Ha, that's hilarious. I wish my wife would do that. Funnily enough I checked out the Wingman and the Surge last night. The Surge is clearly a more robust tool, though the difference in price is pretty significant, especially given that the Wingman has (more or less) everything I need, and in fact is still pretty strong-looking. I was hoping to see what the Juice XE6 felt like, but the shop didn't have any.

But the biggest problem is that over here in Taiwan, Leathermans cost about 50% more than in the west. We're (hopefully) moving to the UK in summer, so I'll almost definitely wait till then to pick one up.

By the way, if anyone can recommend any other brands, I'm all ears. Even a SOG (I have my reservations about the power-assist thing, but if others can recommend one, I'll at least check it out).

the thing i like about leatherman is the lifetime guarantee, they will replace a broken tool no questions asked! if you happened to break an old one that was no longer in stock they will replace it with the new model of what you had! there is very few companies that will do this. i broke the saw on my surge, called into pettersons who are the distributor and they didnt have any, the guy gave me a few other bits and a new case just to be sound! i emailed leatherman directly and told them and a new one arrived in the post a week or so later.

iv tried cheaper brands many times and none of them have compared to the leatherman for quality and definatly wont last as long.

What you plan on using it for will give you a better idea of what you need. I used mine a lot out hunting so anything from skinning to fixing a broken fence! The surge allows for one hand opening of the main tools and works even with gloves on which was very handy on cold winter nights if I needed to take it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Just got my Core replaced FOC by Petersons; one blade snapped off at the root, another lost about half of it's tip. Got a replacement in about five minutes flat.I wonder are they actually overhauled or just scrapped?

often wondered that myself, id say they are overhauled and sold used or given away. if they are thrown out its a complete waist when they could donate them to the scouts or something (although that may very well affect their profits)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

I have a super tool 300 which is great but just too big for daily use and a skeletool which I several times a day every day.

Skeletool is pretty sparse, no file, scissors, saw etc, but the knife, pliers and wire strippers are great. Removable screwdrivers are adequate, especially the flat

Doing a fair bit of trading of late got a new surge wave and super tool300 I miss the scissors on the super tool so have a micra attached to its sheath the surge is fantastic for everything but it's a backpack tool more than a belt carry the wave with the bit kit and extender is super this is my go to one after my juice S2 which I carry every day since I got it in December. The sidekick and wingman I had/ have my sons " borrowed" and the skeletool I haven't used much this year that used to be my EDC with a victorinox climber but the S2 took over that roll

I looked into the Super Tool 300, but as mentioned the lack of scissors got to me. I would've thought that was quite a primary tool.

Incidentally I've also been eyeing up the Victorinox Swisstool Spirit and the SOG S60 (even though I have my reservations about SOG, thought that's completely based on a smaller tool I have from them). Does anyone have any experience with either of those?

I have a victorinox multi tool about 15 years love it but it's heavier than the surge which is the main reason I stopped carrying it daily compared to the pliers on the surge it doesn't stand a chance and now the new surge has replaceable cutters it really can't compare. I also had a Sog multi tool but didn't like the feel of it in my hand it didn't seem to sit right. The supertool 300.is a lovely tool and you can get another type of bit kit and adaptor for it. From what I've seen and reading your first post the supertool300 and a micra would be your best option don't get the leatherman style cs scissors it's not as good as the micra

Hi Shadowfox, thanks, but I'm definitely keeping my PS4 in my pocket. The pliers are just as important as the scissors, even in that small form factor. I wouldn't always have a bigger multi-tool with me, and so I'd want as many useful tools on the keyring tool as possible. Quite honestly I'm really happy with the PS4. Best mini-multi-tool I've ever had (and I've had quite a few). The scissors are small for sure, but they're nice and sharp (and precise) and I get a lot of use out of them. I get a lot of use out of the pliers too.

Good to know you reckon a Leatherman is a better option than a Victorinox.

I'm the same with the keychain I've a Gerber dime on mine will change to a ps4 soon . I live victorinox and a few years ago I'd probably never have said leatherman were better but in the last year I've been turned towards leatherman mainly for the pliers feels better in the hand cutting stripping wire is easier. I hope to get a charge tti some day to see if it lives up the the hype but for the price difference between it and the wave I'll stick to the wave

OK guys, I finally went for a Wingman (ordered from the States, since even with postage it's cheaper than getting it here or in the UK).

I'd got it down to three options:
    Juice XE6
    Wingman
    Surge

The Wingman is the most similar to the PSII I'm replacing and I'm really happy with that size. Also it's less than half the price of the other two options.

Of course that's not to say I won't add the Juice and the Surge at a later date, ha.

Well I received my new Wingman at the end of last week. Used it a few times over the weekend and I have to say I'm very happy.

All in all it really is the closest modern equivalent to the PSTII that I wanted to replace. Here's a side-by-side (not to scale):

Leatherman_pstII.jpgl_man_wgm_a.jpg

They're about the same length, but the Wingman is a bit chunkier than the PSTII. I think the Surge might've been a bit big for me, in that I wouldn't have been as likely to carry it around. The Wingman has almost exactly the same tools as the PSTII, with the only missing tool being the really small flat-head screwdriver (which actually worked pretty well as an awl on the PSTII). The file's a bit shorter too, but not actually as bad as I thought it would be. What I do like about the Wingman is the sprung pliers (which are also a bit chunkier/more robust feeling), the more comfortable grip and the better-designed and more accessible blade and scissors. Both of these also lock, though ironically that's not a plus for me, since I'll likely want to carry it around in the UK. I'm sure I can find a way to disable the lock though. Oh, and the Wingman has one additional tool (the package opener), though I could live without that. The best thing, though, was that it was much, much cheaper than other options. Including postage from America to Taiwan, this cost me just over 38 euro.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and comments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

I have a Core but was issued a Wave in work. It's smaller,less chunkier and has a scissors, which I never thought I'd use for aircraft work but I've had to use the scissors several times in the last few weeks. It weighs nothing compared to the Core and there are times when I forget it's on my belt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

I highly recommend the Surge. The newest version comes with the replaceable cutters in the pliers.

The file / saw is removable and jigsaw blades fit the holder very nicely indeed.

Sissors are excellent too.

The screwdriver bit holder is very handy indeed. You can grind down a standard bit holder as used in a cordless drill and use standard screwdriver bits in addition to the flat Leatherman ones.

I had a Supertool 300 which I gave to a very good friend when the new version of the Surge became available.

There was a bit of an issue getting a hold of the replacement / consumables as Petersons said they would need to order a minimum quantity. Leatherman themselves fell down completely on customer service in this regard too. I eventually got spare parts but it left a sour taste the hassle in getting them.

I also have a MUT whuch is very useful too and a Juice also.

I'd buy another Surge in the morning if I had the funds.

• Advertisement
Advertisement