Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beloved cat found dead with tongue cut out

• 05-05-2015 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello Fellow Boarders,

Please help.

Yesterday morning I found my beloved cat in a nearby field, dead. It would appear that her tongue had been cut out.

She never came home May Eve, last Thursday, and was seen dead on the road on May Day, Friday morning. The same people saw her in the nearby ditch on Sunday evening. I found her in a field yesterday morning about 20 meters from where she was first seen.
    It is very possible that she was hit by a car and died from those injuries, with a crow eating her tongue out. There are some discrepancies here, though. She never hunted near that road. If a crow ate her tongue, it would be almost impossible because her jaws were barely open. Usually crows eat eyes, but her eyes were both there, although one eye was dislodged from what was clearly a blow to her head which was fractured badly. The cut to her tongue is far back in her throat and it is absolutely a clean cut, with no straggle tissue consistent with a crow eating her tongue.

My suspicion that she may have been subjected to cruelty has validity. I have been subjected to a campaign of harassment and bullying by my neighbours for the past nine years. Trees have been damaged and broken, walls knocked, property stolen, property broken, teenaged boys jeering and mocking me, one of the neighbouring brothers gunning his car at me, speeding up and down a boreen road.

This is the third cat that has gone missing now.

Throughout all this, the Gardai have insisted that I have no proof. One of the neighbouring men has boasted that he has “good communication” with local Gardai. It is an impossible situation.

It is also possible that these neighbours may be into piseogs, which might account for the May Eve association with my cat. I have been outspoken about one of these neighbouring brothers trying to claim squatter’s rights on a piece of land that is an unofficial wild habitat – hence the tongue connection? Hundreds of peculiar pieces of twine have been inserted into the wall at my gate behind an elder tree – the tree died. A child’s shoe was wedged into a wall in a remote area of my property, where no child could go. I know we live in 2015 but is it possible that piseogs are still practiced in Ireland?

This is a dreadful, dreadful situation. I am shattered today. I have not been able to sleep for several nights. I am living in terror in my home because I don’t know what’s next. There is no point calling Gardai. I put a call into the SPCA this morning but I have still not heard back from them. Meanwhile my poor little cat is decomposing and I have to bury her this afternoon when the rain stops.

Do you have any suggestions, advice? I need help as soon as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

Sorry to hear about your cat.
    To be honest, it sounds like she just go hit on the road & a predator dragged her into the field. If she died from a blow to the head from a car, it's likely that she could have bitten her own tongue off & don't underestimate the sharpness of a crow or magpies beak. I doubt your neighbours could have cut it off while she was still alive, I find it almost impossible to even hold my cats mouth open to give her a worming tablet.
    last summer, a badger got killed on the road near my house, the next day, it was gone, the day after that, a fox was seen eating it at the other side of the hedge, so foxes can & will drag road kill off the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Knine

I'd also say she bit her own tongue as I once took a cat still alive off the road with a broken back & awful mouth injuries as a result of being hit by a car.

To be honest the only safe cat is one kept indoors. Terribly sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 deus ex machina 7

Thank you for your responses. I choose to believe your version of what happened to my beautiful Sanshin Puss-Puss. When a person is under constant stress due to bullying you can easily lose track. On the other hand, malfeasance cannot be ruled out. Either way, it's all over now.

I just buried her up in a corner of the field under Leylandi trees. She was such a beautiful cat, white with black patches. I will now have a cup of strong tea, light a candle, put it in her bowl and remember all the joy she brought to our rescue family of two other cats and two dogs. RIP Puss-Puss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Sorry to hear about your cat.I agree with the other 2posters however it's more likely (small mercies)that a predator like a crow or magpie old have eat e the tongue after death as opposed to blatent cruelty.ive seen firsthand the damage a crow can do to a sheep if they get the chance. This sort of injury would not be uncommon.
    Rip puss puss.sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭acequion

I am so terribly sorry to hear your sad story about your beloved little cat and very sorry too to hear that you are under a lot of stress.You really shouldn't have to live like that. But I do think it very unlikely that these bullies harmed your cat as it really would be enormously difficult,not to mention dangerous, to sever a cat's tongue and bullies are usually far too cowardly to put themselves in that kind of danger.

I'm glad you have other little dogs and cats. Animals do provide such comfort.

Do look after yourself.

• Advertisement
Advertisement