Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

book box set 10 year old boy

Options
  • 05-05-2015 11:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

I am looking for recommendations for book box sets for 10 year old. He will have spare time over the summer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭baktag

Skulduggery Pleasant
    Captain underpants
    world of norm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

tbh this really depends on the reading age of the boy. What does he read currently? Some kids are more advanced than others. For example my kids had read all the Harry Potter books by age 10 but others wouldn't have.

If he's able for them the Divergent series were a big hit with my kids.
    Anything by Michael Morpurgo
    Land of Stories by Chris Colfer (yes the one from Glee)
    David Walliams books are very popular too
    Skullduggery Pleasant as mentioned by baktag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

The Northern Lights trilogy.

• Administrators Posts: 14,035 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

The Horrible Science ones are a favourite in this house. Harry Potter. Diary of a Wimpy Kid, though if they are good readers they get through them fairly quickly. The Havisham's Trilogy was a big hit here too. The Author, Edward Crane (aka Martin Brennan) is from Kilkenny and did a tour of schools last year during book week. Profitable little exercise for him, all the kids were raving about the books!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My son has just reading one of the Timmy Failure books by Stephen Pastis and he enjoyed it. There's a couple of them as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Definitely need to know his reading age and what kind of books he currently reads. At that age I was reading agatha christie and lord of the rings. My younger brother on the other hand was way behind that and wouldn't have even read the harry potters until he was in his teens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

if he is a good reader a lot of 3rd 4th class students are loving the Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief series, alongside this maybe the harry potters although these would be more for 11-12 year olds + as the later books in the series can be quite violent,

David Walliams is also very popular in this age group, demon dentist seems to be the one they borrow most, and the Tom Gates books too,

if his reading age is less than his age then the Beast Quest series is very popular, as is captain underpants
    and of course Diary of a Wimpy kid is very funny,

of course the old classics are still very much read by all age groups from 8yr's up, like Roald Dahl (if it's a gift i got The Roald Dahl treasury as a child and i LOVED it) and Enid Blyton (The Famous Fives are popular with the boys)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

Not exactly a "box set" but all the Roddy Doyle books are loved by any child I have given them to.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

zeffabelli wrote: »
    The Northern Lights trilogy.
    I find the last book in the series quite dark.
    I'd also suggest Michael Murporgo and I'll add any of Eoin Colfer's stuff, Atermis Fowl series in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

I find the last book in the series quite dark.
    I'd also suggest Michael Murporgo and I'll add any of Eoin Colfer's stuff, Atermis Fowl series in particular.

It is dark....but I think that is part of the point no? Like most fairytale and myth?

It's amazing writing.

I'd also add Grimms Fairy Tales and Bullfinch's Mythology.

Dare I suggest Minecraft books?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

My boy likes to read funny books, Moone boy is very good. Likes Tom Gates as well
    http://www8.scholastic.co.uk/tomgatesworld/books/

This one is next on our list

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Danger-Is-Everywhere-Handbook-Avoiding/dp/0141354151

A lot of the books suggested here are in the fantasy genre which does not appeal to all of readers. I love it but my kids dont

These football books/ stories are popular with boys.

http://www.danfreedman.co.uk/jamie-johnson-books/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭CarpeDiem85

My local library does a junior book club and summer reading scheme during July and August and also gives rewards if you read a certain amount of books over the summer holidays. You should try your local library to see what interests him there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Horrible Histories can be had for little money fom Amazon.

Advertisement