Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

name of old castle near raddison

• 05-05-2015 11:53am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

can anyone tell me the name of that old castle near the raddison on the way to shannon before bunrattyon the right going out??? young lad doing a school project and wants to do something about this. thanks in aadvance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Biscuit80

Cratloemoyle Tower House

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/archaeology/ryan/part4_chapter40_cratloemoyle_tower_house.htm

(Can't post links so remove space after http and also after www)

Mod edit to fix link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭adaminho

http://www.abandonedireland.com/Cratloemoyle.html
    Biscuit beat me to it.
    Edit. And Snotaul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

WOW a wealth of information here,,big thanks folks for this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

I'm glad someone posted about that actually. I've always been interested in the history of that castle. Every time I'd pass it I'd make a mental note to look it up but never actually did. I Wonder why it wasn't restored like Bunratty?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

I'm glad someone posted about that actually. I've always been interested in the history of that castle. Every time I'd pass it I'd make a mental note to look it up but never actually did. I Wonder why it wasn't restored like Bunratty?

I grew up near this, I used to have dreams of buying it and turning it into a house. Then I watched the Grand Designs where the guy renovated a castle and spent £800k on it and the hardship it took, knocked that on the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

We used to call it Skeletor's castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

I'm almost certain that a local Fianna Fáil group had a "renaming" ceremony at the ruins following the death of Donogh O Malley.The event was attended by his widow Hilda, and the castle was accorded the name "O Malleys Castle". This would have been very shortly after the death of Mr O Malley. I don't know why this was done but perhaps it had to do with the fact that it wasn't far from Sixmilebridge where the minister had suffered a fatal heart attack whilst canvassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

cronin_j wrote: »
    I grew up near this, I used to have dreams of buying it and turning it into a house. Then I watched the Grand Designs where the guy renovated a castle and spent £800k on it and the hardship it took, knocked that on the head.

Sites for sale for 500 grand if you want....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭Tefral

phill106 wrote: »
    Sites for sale for 500 grand if you want....

With lovely views over the dual carraige way ha ha

• Advertisement

doublej wrote: »
    I'm almost certain that a local Fianna Fáil group had a "renaming" ceremony at the ruins following the death of Donogh O Malley.The event was attended by his widow Hilda, and the castle was accorded the name "O Malleys Castle". This would have been very shortly after the death of Mr O Malley. I don't know why this was done but perhaps it had to do with the fact that it wasn't far from Sixmilebridge where the minister had suffered a fatal heart attack whilst canvassing.

I asked my mother before what the name of the castle was and she said she remembers it been called o malleys castle but didn't know why. Starting to make sense now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

I asked my mother before what the name of the castle was and she said she remembers it been called o malleys castle but didn't know why. Starting to make sense now

My family lives next door and to be honest i always called it cratloe castle, but also heard it called mcnamara castle. There is also one on the opposite side of the road you wouldn't know was there unless you were told about it.

Castles
    Cratloe is the location of several ruined castles and tower houses, the most notable being Cratloemoyle Castle (sometimes referred to as 'Cratloe Castle'), located just to the north of the N18 road on the approach to Limerick. The castle is 5 stories high and was built sometime in the early 1500s. John McNamara, who died in 1780, was the last occupant of the castle and as he had no one to pass the castle onto, the castle was sold and for the first time in 700 years the land around the castle was not in the possession of the McNamara family.[16]
    Less than half a mile away, on the opposite side of the road, Cratloekeel Castle sits on a low outcrop, and can be just discerned from the road through the surrounding trees. This castle was built by Sean McNamara in the latter part of the 15th century, but by 1641 it had passed out of the McNamara family and was owned by a Dutch Protestant.
    Further south, on the banks of the River Shannon, is the site of Castle Donnell or Cratloemore Castle, though now little of the ruins are left. This was once one of the biggest castles in Cratloe, being used by the McNamaras as a trading post because of its location on the River Shannon and its proximity to both Bunratty and Limerick. In 1730 most of this castle was destroyed and the stones were used to build Cratloe Wood House, the only example of an Irish longhouse still lived in by a family.
    On the western slopes of Woodcock Hill, towards Sixmilebridge, the ruins of Ballintlea Castle lie in a farmyard. All of these castles are recorded as being built by the MacNamara clan, one of the most powerful families in the Kingdom of Thomond.

There are so many of these all over the place and would be great to see them restored as part of our heritage but the people with money are more interested in spending money on commercial projects than this sort of thing.
    What a pity that they are being left to crumble away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

daveob007 wrote: »
    There are so many of these all over the place and would be great to see them restored as part of our heritage but the people with money are more interested in spending money on commercial projects than this sort of thing.

Actually I know of a few castles and stately homes bought up by wealthy people as ways to minimise tax. Not sure of the methodology but know it required a minimum of 1 day per year to be open to the public (know of one that is 'open' on Christmas Day) AFAIK there were grants and tax writeoffs for the restoration projects.

Not sure if the scheme still exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

daveob007 wrote: »

there are actually loads of tower houses around, particularly around that part of Clare. There is another one not far from Bunratty (Rosssmanagher - in good nick- can get to second or third floor), another near Shannon (Drumline - nearly collapsed now ), one in Kilkishen (again falling down), there are loads of others.. Apparently there are 5 tower houses that could be seen from the top of Bunratty Castle. Its a major pity that they are just left to crumble.

Only saw the one across from the Cratloe one recently. Looks in good shape.

Also love this toll house on the old roadd from Sixmilebridge to Limerick. Did a report on these in college years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

We used to call it Skeletor's castle.

Used to call it the 'Finger Castle' because it kind of looked like it was giving the finger to the hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

vkid wrote: »
    there are actually loads of tower houses around, particularly around that part of Clare. There is another one not far from Bunratty (Rosssmanagher - in good nick- can get to second or third floor), another near Shannon (Drumline - nearly collapsed now ), one in Kilkishen (again falling down), there are loads of others.. Apparently there are 5 tower houses that could be seen from the top of Bunratty Castle. Its a major pity that they are just left to crumble.

Only saw the one across from the Cratloe one recently. Looks in good shape.

Also love this toll house on the old roadd from Sixmilebridge to Limerick. Did a report on these in college years ago.

Must get out and about with my camera. Thanks for sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Didn't it have "IRA" scrawled on it for ages?

seachto7 wrote: »
    Didn't it have "IRA" scrawled on it for ages?

Half of Limerick did at one point

something to do for the summer months if the rain ever stops,,must get the camera and walking boots out.....thanks for all those shares/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 BelleMolly

On the opposite side of the road there's ANOTHER castle hidden amongst the trees.

Advertisement