Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making cheese

• 05-05-2015 11:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if this is the wrong place, one of my little projects this year is to make cheese so I found an online site with recipes and where you can buy culture and rennet so far so good, however the problem is finding somewhere in the house with a consistent temperature to mature my cheese I cant think of anywhere that would work.

Has anyone any suggestion to over come this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Nice one! Something I'd be interested in having a go at too.

Would a heat mat that you'd get in a pet shop be any good? I'm thinking you'd place it under whatever container you were using. Or have I got it all wrong! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Nice one! Something I'd be interested in having a go at too.

Would a heat mat that you'd get in a pet shop be any good? I'm thinking you'd place it under whatever container you were using. Or have I got it all wrong! :)

You need a cool consistent environment for few months to age the cheese that why some cheeses were aged in caves but thank anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Ah, you want it constantly cool as opposed to warm.

How about an old chest freezer? Would that be insulated enough to keep the heat out, even if it's not plugged in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ask over on the Homebrewing Forum - or on Beoir.org or nationalhomebrewclub.com

Home Brewers who make lager-style beers will have used an old fridge with a tweaked thermostat to keep it at "cellar" temperature (8-12 degrees) as the lager yeasts need the lower temps to work correctly, and also the lower temps help to give the lager clarity.

Lager was also originally conditioned in caves, so the principal is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

What's wrong with a fridge/wine cooler ?

Hook it up to a thermostat which will switch it on/off when it goes above/below certain temperature thresholds.

*edit* I should have read the post above before rpelying !

F.

• Advertisement
Advertisement