Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great Limerick Run

Options
  • 05-05-2015 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I am not writing this as a novice runner , I have completed 6 marathons and multiple Half Marathons around the country and further afield, and I just want to know does anyone else believe that the Great Limerick Run while being an amazing event for the Mid West and Limerick city is an absolute shambles. I have run the full on 2 previous occasions and this year as with others I was delighted to be able to cheer on the athletes (shame about the weather).

I attended the ahem Expo on Sat with my wife who was collecting her race number for the half and she got one Brooks bag and some wart cream and an XL T Shirt. Now normally I couldn't give a toss about Goody bags but this was the dregs. There was no information about start times, locations etc. Nothing ! We live just outside the city but I was wondering what visitors made of it. Where would you have dropped off your bag to collect at the end. Where was your race number sticker to put on the bag.

The whole thing just stank of haphazardness even though you can no longer say the race is in it's infancy.

The Pacers had kids Balloons with illegible numbers scrawled on with Biro tied with Ribbon onto their Shoulders. How the f*&k was anyone meant to keep track of that, I saw two pacers go through just with ribbon as the Balloon obviously burst. Dublin last year had brilliant rucksacks with rigid flags for all pacers. Incredibly effective and comfy for the pacers.

Multiple runners asked me which way to go where I was stood on Mayorstone. The company behind Great Limerick Run handles the registration for Dublin and other events so how the hell don't they get it right at this stage. It's sad as I know it highlights an amazing weekend in Limerick but I genuinely think some is just trying to wring every last penny that they can out of this event and it is suffering as a result.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭paulers06

I took part in the half and agree that it seemed badly run at parts

For the second year running they ran out of medals for the marathoners. I think it's an absolute disgrace that someone could make such an achievement and not get a medal at the end. I'm hoping to do Dublin and I would be gutted if there wasn't one waiting for me at the finish line

There were also some issues getting water at some of the stations. At one stage I had to stop and open a plastic crate to get mine out. I was so thirsty I could have licked the ground at that stage having not been able to grab one at the previous station

The wart treatment was so random. I really don't know what to think about it. Baffled

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Konarider

Look the wart cream wasn't even that bizarre I have previously gotten a razor and mini deodorant. It was just that the whole thing seemed to be amateurish. I can't help but get the feeling that if the Local Athletic clubs like Limerick, Emerald and Dooneen ran it that it would be a far better affair. I think a lot of entrants will walk away from this one with a soured outlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

Totally agree with you OP.
    I have taken part in this in some form since it began as it is my local race.
    This year showed all the hallmarks of either cost cutting or a lack of preparedness. Instead of the race getting a bit better every year with a few tweaks here and there, it took a big step backwards.
    The race itself was ok but all the ancillary bits down to even wrong date on the medal straps, lack of medals for people who finished the full etc. show they have taken their eye off the ball.
    I hope they acknowledge their errors and strive to improve otherwise it will deteriorate more and cease to exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Hi

I ran it last year and remember getting wart cream in the bag and wondered why would they think we needed or wanted that, wasnt much else in their. Also a lot of people didnt get medals last year also and this was partly down to medals being given to kids who ran the last bit with theirs dads and mams etc,
    The finish line refreshments were poor, just water and rotten bananas and no chocolate or sports drinks, this though is similar to DCM .
    It was a brilliant race though and the pacers last year were brilliant, especially the 3:30 ones. Problem is probably too many races.

I have to say I have run Dublin 4 times now and I always find it is run with great precision and always with the welfare of the Athletes first and foremost. From the time you sign up you are under no illusions where you have to be and at what time. Pacers and wave starts are superb and I have always always had a great race there. Now back onto Limerick if you register for DCM your slip actually has the GLR details on it why ? Because the event registration company is owned by the same guy who stages The Great Limerick Run

Now the thing that pisses me off is that the numbers are similar 15,000 ish. But the problem is they are trying too much and failing at all. All the great marathons like Dublin do one event and do it well. Limerick tries and I say tries to run 4 different events and half succeeds at them all. They would be much better off if the bulk of the athletes are those doing 10km to run a 10km. And another thing no buggies and no young kids running 10km it is dangerous and reckless.

The marathon course is ****e and doesn't attract huge interest so scrap it. And I say that with a heavy heart. Limerick is home to Neil Cusack winner of Boston. Why can't we honour athletes like this man by staging a top class marathon on a top class route.

I stood and watched the winners of the Marathon go by and the last of the 10km and all I saw was a massive missed opportunity. It is a very very poorly run event. Now I don't claim I could do any better myself and I am sure that the demands are massive but you would imagine that on the 6th time of asking they would get it right but nope fell short again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Konarider wrote: »
    The Pacers had kids Balloons with illegible numbers scrawled on with Biro tied with Ribbon onto their Shoulders. How the f*&k was anyone meant to keep track of that, I saw two pacers go through just with ribbon as the Balloon obviously burst. Dublin last year had brilliant rucksacks with rigid flags for all pacers. Incredibly effective and comfy for the pacers.

This is standard for all races that I have paced as regards the Balloons. All the pacers yesterday where decked out in blue singlets/black shorts which are sponsored by Brooks. I can say hand on heart that anyone in the 4 Hour group yesterday had absolutely no issue in regards who and where their pacers were at all times.
    In Dublin the flags are needed as the groups are much bigger its not a fair comparison. 14,000 runners as apposed to 900

I agree that a lot of little things where wrong with this event, but why not comment on what is good about it.

The kids run in UL the day before never ever gets mentioned. It's brilliant and even in the pouring rain on Saturday their enthusiasm to par take is brilliant. Also there is a donation made back to the nationals schools based on the number of runners from each school.

The course is accurate, the mile markers where in the right spot. There was plenty of water some stations had issues with the speed of delivery but no one died of thirst.

Chip timing worked and results where available pretty quickly after the event.

The only issue I have with this race is them cones especially the ankle high ones on the Rosebrien Road, they are a trip hazard. Spent the day yesterday warning people about them.

FWIW we got the same Wart Cream in our DCM 2014 Goodie Bags.

I am not knocking every aspect of it Ger and fair play for pacing but I am sorry if you are putting yourself out there as an event then run it right and look the part. It wouldn't cost a lot to purchase pacers flags and you would have them to use annually rather than looking like something that was put together at the last minute on Halloween. Brooks , The Irish Times and Barringtons are sponsors and the race gets well supported so invest a little and give back a lot.

And another thing did those running the event know that the runners in that gear were pacers, what happens if the Marathon gets more entrants next year, this Irish attitude of ah sure it's grand sickens me.

Agreed the Kids event is brilliant and it gets all the small ones buzzing and my own kids have done it and will do it again. But this is itself not without problems. I saw one asshole dad push a child out of his way so he could drag his own kid quicker. It is great to see so many kids but on the same day and location as the registration it's a cluster **** of immense proportions.

Again to reiterate it's not all bad but if the same instances occur again next year I think people's enthusiasm for getting ripped off will wane. Lets be honest it isn't exactly cheap either. Newcastle has the Great North Run , Ballycotton has the 10 mile and so on, so to mention my point again if you are going to do something do one thing right and make it extra special. But don't continue to frustrate people and take their money and give very very little back.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Limerick500

Konarider wrote: »
    I am not knocking every aspect of it Ger and fair play for pacing but I am sorry if you are putting yourself out there as an event then run it right and look the part. It wouldn't cost a lot to purchase pacers flags and you would have them to use annually rather than looking like something that was put together at the last minute on Halloween. Brooks , The Irish Times and Barringtons are sponsors and the race gets well supported so invest a little and give back a lot.

And another thing did those running the event know that the runners in that gear were pacers, what happens if the Marathon gets more entrants next year, this Irish attitude of ah sure it's grand sickens me.

Agreed the Kids event is brilliant and it gets all the small ones buzzing and my own kids have done it and will do it again. But this is itself not without problems. I saw one asshole dad push a child out of his way so he could drag his own kid quicker. It is great to see so many kids but on the same day and location as the registration it's a cluster **** of immense proportions.

Again to reiterate it's not all bad but if the same instances occur again next year I think people's enthusiasm for getting ripped off will wane. Lets be honest it isn't exactly cheap either. Newcastle has the Great North Run , Ballycotton has the 10 mile and so on, so to mention my point again if you are going to do something do one thing right and make it extra special. But don't continue to frustrate people and take their money and give very very little back.

Is it a coincidence that you are all noticing the lack of preparedness by the organisers and the fact that this year contract was awarded to cheapest tender Galway based event management company Grooveyard? Why not to a local company with invested interests in Limerick and seeing an event run well? The wart cream in pack is laughable

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Is it a coincidence that you are all noticing the lack of preparedness by the organisers and the fact that this year contract was awarded to cheapest tender Galway based event management company Grooveyard? Why not to a local company with invested interests in Limerick and seeing an event run well? The wart cream in pack is laughable

I didn't know Grooveyard ran this years Great Limerick Run. AFAIK it's been ran by the same guy since its inception. I thought Grooveyard ran the Riverfest this year.

I didn't know Grooveyard ran this years Great Limerick Run. AFAIK it's been ran by the same guy since its inception. I thought Grooveyard ran the Riverfest this year.

Were they not over the run too? My mistake I thought they ran both things. So they were just the festival......no excuse then if the same crowd have been organising the Run every year. It's the only thing now drawing in people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

Did the Half. Arrived pretty late (5:50 i'd say) for registration and of course all the small, medium and large tshirts were gone. Only XL and Kids left. Spoke to one of the registration volunteers and they said they had an extra 1000 tshirts in all sizes yet they were still "sold out". Basically, people are pinching them so folks cant really bitch too much as every 3rd or 4th punter is taking an extra tshirt. I have enough tshirts so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Didnt get a bag or wart cream either.

I must admit its not a cheap half marathon but aside from an errant driver getting in my way a little i thought it was mostly fine. The start was a balls tho. Why have that 90 degree right immediately at the start?

One marshall in the city as i was turning left to go towards the river wasnt quite awake enough and the guy ahead of me nearly went the wrong way. By the time the marshall woke up again and pointed the athlete the right way i made up the 15 yard gap he had on me and overtook him. Great for me, less great for him. Athletes are supposed to know the course though so i dont see this as a major issue either.

I thought there were plenty of bananas, apples, water and bars at the finish but i did see a punter that didnt look like an athlete perusing the tables for food.

As regards the medals, i got a marathon one for some reason. If anyone here that did the full marathon and didnt get a medal wants it, theyre more than welcome to it. I can post it or meet them somewhere. I was just doing the race as training rather than a goal race so not having a medal to commemorate than training session doesnt bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭carsfan

I find it hard to believe a 1000 shirts were stolen at the expo!
    The odd one maybe here and there but even when it was very busy would have been noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭gilleek2

carsfan wrote: »
    The odd one maybe here and there but even when it was very busy would have been noticed.

Per size! Thats what he told me. I'm neither saying he was right nor wrong just relaying what he said. Dont shoot the messenger s'il vous plait.

Easy enough to see tshirts going missing (whether its in those numbers is another story) when there's a herd of people registering at the same time. People try on tshirts cos they're unsure of size and just take two to be sure. "Sure nobody will miss them".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Were they not over the run too? My mistake I thought they ran both things. So they were just the festival......no excuse then if the same crowd have been organising the Run every year. It's the only thing now drawing in people.

No GLR is run by a different company, nothing to do with the festival.
    carsfan wrote: »

Don't think this is likely at all. The hall was never that packed and there is an army of volunteers and a table between participants and T-shirts.

What astonishes me is the lack of training in the medal enclosure. Your race number is colour coded for the race that you are doing. It should be very simple to identify anyone crossing the line as to 6mile / half or full. Give one medal accordingly and that is it. Pass the medal table and forgot yours? Tough this craic of passing a medal out to the kids and going back for another is not on. No wonder they ran out of medals.

Let the kids do the race at UL and earn their own medal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

AKW wrote: »
    Tough this craic of passing a medal out to the kids and going back for another is not on. No wonder they ran out of medals.

Let the kids do the race at UL and earn their own medal.

agreed. Picked my little one out of the crowd at the corner of O'Connell Street. she ran the last 400m with me. over the line, handed a medal. put it on her, kept walking.

in fairness to one of the medal girls, she saw me with none on and ran up the street after me. was trying to hand me another one when i told her the little one had it. thanks her but kept gong

we left with one medal. this is the third year she has run up o'connell street with me. There is one medal for each race in our house.

if people want to give their kid their medal, then don;t take a second for themselves. and if you have more than one kid, and it's not fair to give it to one and not the other, then the solution isn't to take 2/3

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TheGreenMile

Konarider wrote:
    The Pacers had kids Balloons

The balloon shop must have been out of adult balloons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

I did the half

Pros:
    Accurate course
    Well marshalled
    Good water stations
    Good finishing chute, ample fruit, drinks and oat bars
    Nice TShirt

Negatives:
    Price
    Expo - lack of info
    Goody bag - I personally don't care but would prefer an empty bag than that crap, I suspect they are paid, a form of direct marketing.
    Didn't see many mile markers

And finally my total decline in fitness over the last two years!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kookiebrew

Why not just post out a pack to everyone who enters, leave an option for shirt size when registering, use different colour numbers for each race WITH name on,it's not too difficult to have say blue ribbon medal for blue coded number, my number got wet and for the last few miles I was called dermot damien david...everything but Darren,was funny though and did make me smile, I'm sure most people entering had done so a few months before the race, could have all that sent out and not have to worry about people collecting their packs at the expo..

Good points for me were the crowds cheering us on esp final few miles when I needed it, the marshals who did a great job, the massage I got after the race was a life saver, can't believe nobody has thanked them yet, the two guards out of all that was there who actually cheered me and gave a bit of a pep, rest were miserable as sin, best part was actually finishing my first marathon in my home town, a memory I will never forget.

Bad points were the course did seem to be all over the place, bollards were a disaster, too much car traffic in certain places one nearly hit me out in castletroy at an intersection, tried to pull out as I was passing,expo was crap, don't see the point in it,trying to park out there was a total nightmare,the mix up with the medals was another disaster even though I got mine I'm sure people running for the first time and didn't get one would be well peed off...

Will I do it again...most definate... But you would think after hosting it for this number of yrs they would be ironing out all the small little probs... I wasn't with any of the Pacers but all I've read was great things so I think they deserve a mention too

kookiebrew wrote: »
    Why not just post out a pack to everyone who enters, leave an option for shirt size when registering, use different colour numbers for each race WITH name on,it's not too difficult to have say blue ribbon medal for blue coded number, my number got wet and for the last few miles I was called dermot damien david...everything but Darren,was funny though and did make me smile, I'm sure most people entering had done so a few months before the race, could have all that sent out and not have to worry about people collecting their packs at the expo..

Good points for me were the crowds cheering us on esp final few miles when I needed it, the marshals who did a great job, the massage I got after the race was a life saver, can't believe nobody has thanked them yet, the two guards out of all that was there who actually cheered me and gave a bit of a pep, rest were miserable as sin, best part was actually finishing my first marathon in my home town, a memory I will never forget.

Bad points were the course did seem to be all over the place, bollards were a disaster, too much car traffic in certain places one nearly hit me out in castletroy at an intersection, tried to pull out as I was passing,expo was crap, don't see the point in it,trying to park out there was a total nightmare,the mix up with the medals was another disaster even though I got mine I'm sure people running for the first time and didn't get one would be well peed off...

Will I do it again...most definate... But you would think after hosting it for this number of yrs they would be ironing out all the small little probs... I wasn't with any of the Pacers but all I've read was great things so I think they deserve a mention too

Out of interest how much was it to register to run in the marathon? I'm an obvious couch potato here!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

Thinking of doing this next year. How did people find the course? It looks like it rolling all the way but sometimes the profile on the websites dont tell the true story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement