Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any point in keeping an Xbox 360?

Options
  • 05-05-2015 1:07pm

I have an Xbox 360 that I've had for a few years now and a few months ago I bought a PS4, leaving the other console essentially sat there gathering dust.

So what I'm wondering is whether there's any point in me keeping it? I'm debating giving it to charity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭thebag89

I often thought about getting rid of my one but I know if i did I'd regret it almost instantly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm rarely convinced getting rid of a console is a good idea unless its successor is fully backwards compatible - one never knows when the need / want to revisit a game will arise. With the 360, the selection of Cave shooters alone will mean I'll be holding on to the console.

Obviously can't begrudge something being donated to charity, though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Any console can be used as a foot stool. That is why I have an XBOX under my PC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, keep the console. While all the good games will probably eventually be ported over the the XOne, it's always good to have the option of going back and playing some of the classics. I always regretted selling my N64 back in the day.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I use my 360 to prop up books in my bookcase.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,293 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I'd hold on to it, free games each month have been pretty decent the last while and MS are still actively working with the console what with a fairly big OS update happening and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I was gonna say keep it you never know. But then I saw you were thinking about giving it to charity. You should definitely do that. It could sit there gathering dust in your possession for a maybe but giving it to charity it will definitely be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭recyclops

i use mine for sky go and its flawless for that so itll be kept

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

rizzla wrote: »
    I was gonna say keep it you never know. But then I saw you were thinking about giving it to charity. You should definitely do that. It could sit there gathering dust in your possession for a maybe but giving it to charity it will definitely be used.

Or resold.

Nice idea though in theory.

Keep it would be my advice due to the regret you will feel at some point.

Lob it in the attic and forget about it for now if it's in the way.

I have an N64, PS2, 360,Wii U and now PS4 under the telly and use them all from time to time.

Currently playing through Dishonored from the free games with gold stuff.

Played Mario Kart on Wii U the other night.

And play Destiny on PS4 somewhat regularly.

N64 and PS2 don't get the same level of use but Tekken 5 or Lylat Wars will always keep me coming back to those two systems along with a few other greats that haven't been and probably won't get ported to the new consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I wouldnt sell it either, at the very least its a perfectly good sky go / netflix / dvd player. Funnily enough, I've found that I'm spending more time on mine lately than on my xbox one, theres still a lot of incredible games that I haven't played popping up for cheap or on games with gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

I was going to say you are mad to get rid of it until I seen that you are giving it to charity, nice gesture.

But... I'd personally keep it. It's one of the greatest consoles ever made with an amazing catalogue. You never know in the future if you have kids or something they may like to see how games were back in the day.

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

I think you can trade in your Xbox 360 for an Xbox One. And possibly without paying a cent for the upgrade but I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I can't say much for 360 but I'm glad I keep my PS3 around. Most of the best PS4 games are just PS3 games remastered. The only PS exclusive game I care about is Yakuza 5 and that's coming to PS3 and not PS4.

So... yeah it's probably worth keeping a 360 if it's got the same situation going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,470 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I have recently picked up a lot of older games that I wanted to play for buttons so I am going through them now on my PS3
    I have just finished Resistance 3 and am now playing The Last of Us and then Dragon's Dogma after

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭thegame983

I like to call it my Shadow Complex Machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Moved to the Xbox forum

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

I still have a years gold left so am still downloading some free games every month, although the HDD is pretty much full.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

360 is my music games console now, has been for a few years, I'd never get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭grumpynerd

I have an Xbox 360 that I've had for a few years now and a few months ago I bought a PS4, leaving the other console essentially sat there gathering dust.

So what I'm wondering is whether there's any point in me keeping it? I'm debating giving it to charity.

Im charity. Would love a second hand 360

I still have a years gold left so am still downloading some free games every month, although the HDD is pretty much full.

You've no excuse with the last update..... well the beta at least lets you use a 2TB drive to put things on, think it was pushed to all last week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

You've no excuse with the last update..... well the beta at least lets you use a 2TB drive to put things on, think it was pushed to all last week.

Yeah heard that was coming just didn't know when. So it's capable of doing it now? Will any HDD work? Probably gonna get a cheap small passport sized 500GB for it I'd say then plug it in the bag and conceal it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

And technically you can add two 2TB drives to the Xbox 360 to have up to 4TB of extra space.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

If you're sick of the games you have on it and nothing else interests you (probably impossible) then fair enough. The internet is full of people who sold their PS360 to fund a new one then started bitching that they can't play their old games. :rolleyes:

The charity thing is really nice though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

actually had thought of selling my xbox 360 the other day, but decided not too in the end, the amount of games still out for it, number of people still playing online, Games for Gold and the actual amount of money you would get for selling it, will be playing with it for a while yet.

not a whole lot of decent options for trade-ins either, which i never understood, MS should do a scrapage scheme, would boost their Xbox numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Stillhouette

I couldn't sell my 360. There will always be a time when I want to fire it up for some reason or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭DanC90

It's well worth keeping for a second room like the bedroom or a guest room, with Netflix/Sky/YouTube/TV3 & RTE players on there you have plenty of TV options along with using it as a DVD player too.. Then obviously the games when your not in the humor of any of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I would give it to charity. A number of years ago I gave a huge amount of my consoles to the childrens ward in Crumlin hospital. I gave a first gen Nintendo, Snes, Megadrive, Dreamcast, Gamecube, N64 and PS1 with whatever games I had left.

The children in there will use them FAR more than I ever would now and they were just sitting in the attic. I also sold my PS2, Wii, Xbox and 360 as I no longer used them and again they were just gathering dust in the attic.

I have my Xbox One now and it really is the only console I need, it does everything and with more and more games being offered over the coming month via backward play, I can still play some of the classics.

Yes, you could keep your 360 but are you really going to get the use out of it? The answer is, most likely not.

Like many of the guys in this thread, I kept ALL of my consoles in the attic, thinking, "ah sure I will play Duck hunt again someday etc" but in reality, you rarely or never do.

Up to you OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

thegame983 wrote: »
    I like to call it my Shadow Complex Machine
    Not any more. Shadow Complex is available as a Backwards Compatible title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Normally drop consoles etc down to crumlin children's hospital.

• Advertisement
Advertisement