Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

DL1000 vs. DL650

• 05-05-2015 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭

Thinking of changing later in the year (want ABS and a proper lazy-****er touring bike with screen, and full license opens up more possibilities). Would also want to be getting from a dealer with FSH, since test rides are still a no-no in most places.

Has anyone been on both the V-strom 650 and 1000 and can comment on which would be better? I'm reading funny reports that some lads prefer the 650 despite the smaller displacement (It's easy to assume "bigger is better" but having had two ~600cc bikes with worlds of difference, I know better now).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,087 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I cant comment on the 1000 as ive never been on one. But having had my 650 since last year i can attest that it is a pleasure to drive.

From what i can gather on this debate, (it seems to have been going on for a long time) The majority appear to say that the 650 is a nice overall ride. And that the only reason most would recommend the 1000 over the 650 is if you require 2 up riding for long journeys (the power obviously being for the additional weight)

I cant speak highly enough of the 650 though i love mine, imported from the UK because it was looked after well.

Would advise joining up on vstrom.co.uk its the largest club over this side of the atlantic and great source of knowledge.

I have owned both, swapped K3 1000->K4 650.

650 Pros:
    Smoother (no fueling issues) at low revs and less snatchy throttle
    Corners better due to lighter weight
    Better on juice by about 10/20 percent
    No design fault in clutch basket (chudder)

1000 Pros:
    Power
    Smoother at motorway speeds

If you spend lots of time on motorways or carry pillion or panniers go for 1000. For any other riding I'd get a 650. The bigger bike can be a real pain on twisty R roads as you are constantly avoiding vibey zone between 3 and 3.5 k rpm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Just to throw out there. All low down issues with the 1000 is easily fixed by installing a TRE. Very easy to install and completely eliminates all low down rev issues. Transforms the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Cheers!

Aye, it's mainly for added weight -- I'm up around the 120kg mark by myself, and I can barely squeeze 120kph out of the Diversion at the moment, and there's a bit of motorway on the commute. Having things be a bit smoother at motorway speeds and ABS is all I'm sorely missing from the current bike.

The likes of this yoke is what I'd be looking at: http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-v-strom-dl1000/9184200?offset=4 -- or some equivalent. A Tiger or something similar would probably do as well if I wanted to drop a little more cash (and I'm leary of doing that as I've never dropped a bike, so I'd rather my first was on something more modest :-))

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Cheers!

Aye, it's mainly for added weight -- I'm up around the 120kg mark by myself, and I can barely squeeze 120kph out of the Diversion at the moment, and there's a bit of motorway on the commute. Having things be a bit smoother at motorway speeds and ABS is all I'm sorely missing from the current bike.

The likes of this yoke is what I'd be looking at: http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-v-strom-dl1000/9184200?offset=4 -- or some equivalent. A Tiger or something similar would probably do as well if I wanted to drop a little more cash (and I'm leary of doing that as I've never dropped a bike, so I'd rather my first was on something more modest :-))

Nip down to Andys bike in Kildare and have a look at my old DL1000 man. There is no better kitted out vstrom out there.

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »
    Just to throw out there. All low down issues with the 1000 is easily fixed by installing a TRE. Very easy to install and completely eliminates all low down rev issues. Transforms the bike.

It helped alright but didn't fully fix the issues (for me). That being said my bike was K3, i.e. 2003 model. The later models are supposed to be better. I had the bike for about 8 years so can't be that bad anyway ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Cheers!

120kph should be easy on your bike the top speed is around 200 kph. Can't imagine the 650 being the answer so you should look at the 1000. Still think you should be getting more than 120 out of it though.

I agree. It sounds like its restricted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

It's possible. I might get it looked at. I'd imagine top speed is obtainable with a lad half my size on it. And some of it may be a combination of me being a big jessie with the speed and liking new things :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

It's possible. I might get it looked at. I'd imagine top speed is obtainable with a lad half my size on it. And some of it may be a combination of me being a big jessie with the speed and liking new things :-)

It's an IL4, wring it's neck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

goodlad wrote: »

Gotta agree there...a cheap easy to fit TRE eliminated all issues on my old Vstrom Thou....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,369 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Weight affects acceleration, not top speed
    Top speed is aerodynamic drag vs. available power. Most restricted bikes top out at 90-100mph depending on aerodynamics, but take a long time to get there, so at normal motorway speeds you would have very little acceleration.

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement