Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Key from bedroom door

Options
  • 05-05-2015 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

i've just recently moved into house share. I asked the girl that is subletting the rooms for a key for the bedroom door, she said there is none, and that we dont need to lock our bedroom doors as nobody goes into each others rooms.
    i dont feel comfortable with this, it's not as if i have anything valuable in my room, or im not saying anyone will go into my room but i feel i should have a key to my room to lock my door when i am not there.
    I said to her ' i am going to get a key for my door' and she looked offended and said again that bedroom doors dont need to be locked as we dont go into each others rooms, she leaves her bedroom door wide open all the time, but that's up to her.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,416 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Damnbant wrote: »
    i've just recently moved into house share. I asked the girl that is subletting the rooms for a key for the bedroom door, she said there is none, and that we dont need to lock our bedroom doors as nobody goes into each others rooms.
    i dont feel comfortable with this, it's not as if i have anything valuable in my room, or im not saying anyone will go into my room but i feel i should have a key to my room to lock my door when i am not there.
    I said to her ' i am going to get a key for my door' and she looked offended and said again that bedroom doors dont need to be locked as we dont go into each others rooms, she leaves her bedroom door wide open all the time, but that's up to her.

You may want to make sure that you are not in breech of the Fire Safety regulations by doing so. A locked bedroom door could constitute an obstacle for easy means of escape in the case of a fire.

Maybe look into the chubb type locks that you twisted, so theres no chance of the key going mission, or the chances are that you dont have to go fumbling for a key at 4am in the morning while smoke is building up and fire is spreading throughout the dwelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

That's something I would have sorted out before moving in personally, I wouldn't be keen on sharing a house with someone who insisted on locking their room all the time - I'd be worried about what they were hiding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭eoferrall

have a look at the brand, ie union etc and go to a hardware shop. they should have a set and you can try them in the door until you find the one that locks. then take note of the code and the shop will cut it for you.

just make sure you are not causing massive issues with the locking of the door, whilst it is good to be able to - I've never done it when living with others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

if its a standard lock you should be able to buy a key in a hardware store, a place I was renting had basta locks and the number was on it, so I was just able to go to the hardware store and buy the key I wanted and it fitted fine. completely understand you wanting to lock your room - doesn't mean your hiding anything. when I was renting in the past I didn't always lock my door but if I was going out somewhere and leaving cash in the room I would have locked it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

In fairness, if you went asking this in the way your posts suggest I think you might have offended your housemate. No offence but I picked up a hint of an accusatory tone in your post.

I live in a houseshare. None of the rooms are locked. We are respectful of eachother and so we don't see the need for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

While I almost never locked my door in any houseshare I was in, I always liked to have the option. You may trust your housemates, but if what if someone has a party while you're away, the house is full of randomers and your room is unlocked? I came back (from a weekend at home) to one place I was living to find that one of my flatmates had let some mates of theirs sleep in my room while I was away. I was pretty unimpressed with the invasion of my privacy, etc.

Having the option of locking your room is always nice if you're going to be away. But I never felt the need to lock it if I was just heading out to work or whatever. If you really need to lock your door against your housemates, then....maybe you need new housemates. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    While I almost never locked my door in any houseshare I was in, I always liked to have the option. You may trust your housemates, but if what if someone has a party while you're away, the house is full of randomers and your room is unlocked? I came back (from a weekend at home) to one place I was living to find that one of my flatmates had let some mates of theirs sleep in my room while I was away. I was pretty unimpressed with the invasion of my privacy, etc.

Having the option of locking your room is always nice if you're going to be away. But I never felt the need to lock it if I was just heading out to work or whatever. If you really need to lock your door against your housemates, then....maybe you need new housemates. :)

I remember once in a house share I had gone to new York and was due back early on the sat morn (which flatmates knew) and I came back wrecked and dying to get into bed to sleep and got to my room and some randomer passed out drunk asleep in my bed, flatmate had party the night before and let someone kip in my bed, I was fuming, think this is when I went and got key and then anytime I went away or home for the weekend after that I locked it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

inner room locks are relatively cheap so you can replace the whole unit instead of faffing around finding keys for it.

I never used to lock my door either except when going away. Always a good option to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

I would never live with somebody I consider a close personal friend if there wasn't a lock for my bedroom door. My stuff is my stuff. I'd also be furious if someone slept in my room when I was away. People here freaking out about not wanting to share with someone who doesn't want to leave their bedroom door open... What the hell business is it of yours what's in their room?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

I meant to say I would never live with anybody but a close personal friend without being able to lock the door

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

That's something I would have sorted out before moving in personally, I wouldn't be keen on sharing a house with someone who insisted on locking their room all the time - I'd be worried about what they were hiding.

I wouldn't be keen on sharing a house with someone who insisted on me leaving my room unlocked all the time - I'd be worried about their motives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

MadDog76 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be keen on sharing a house with someone who insisted on me leaving my room unlocked all the time - I'd be worried about their motives.

To be fair, I don't think she INSISTED that the room be unlocked, (now that WOULD be weird!!) just that there was no real need to lock it in the first place as they all respected each other's personal space. It would be common in many house shares for people NOT to lock their rooms. I can see why she said that in response to the OP's original request for a key, but I'd still like the option to be able to lock it in case I was heading away for any length of time, or had valuables in there in the event of a party.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

first thing i look for is the key to lock the door. if i go out to the shop or bar i lock my door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    To be fair, I don't think she INSISTED that the room be unlocked, (now that WOULD be weird!!) just that there was no real need to lock it in the first place as they all respected each other's personal space. It would be common in many house shares for people NOT to lock their rooms. I can see why she said that in response to the OP's original request for a key, but I'd still like the option to be able to lock it in case I was heading away for any length of time, or had valuables in there in the event of a party.

I think she made it clear enough .........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Similar to above. I used to not lock my door until one night one of the lads had a party. That was grand I was drinking with them and out we went. One of the people I didn't know got obliterated drunk and had to be taken home. We got in about 2 hours later. Mr. Drunk had gotten into a fight on the way home and was bleeding from his face. Onto my pillows. I woke him up absolutely fuming and he immediately vomited all over the bed. I had to sleep on the floor. So from now on I don't give a ****e what any housemate says, I lock my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,720 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If it's a Basta lock or similar brand just get a screwdriver and take the lock out and down to your local locksmiths with it, new keys only a few euro. With Basta there's around 20 or so possible keys so no point in buying keys to try, just bring the lock and buy the keys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

If people want to lock their door, let them, as long as it's not blocking access or whatever.

It's a house share not a commune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Satori Rae

I would deffo have a lock on my door, to many times drunk people invited into the dorm where I stayed or even people who lived in the dorm would try go into the wrong room to sleep, or you would have strange men trying to get in and try chance doors to see if any where open.

Feck that as long as you have easy access to get in and out in case of fire do get a lock.
    Offended or not least you will be safe and so will your privacy and things.

I think some of you may have had a problem with choosing housemates poorly. What the hell kind of plonker lets a drunk mate sleep in a housemates bed!

Re what business of mine it is what you do in your room. Simple answer: I don't care. But I don't want to live with you if you're paranoid about what you're doing.

I think some of you may have had a problem with choosing housemates poorly. What the hell kind of plonker lets a drunk mate sleep in a housemates bed!

Re what business of mine it is what you do in your room. Simple answer: I don't care. But I don't want to live with you if you're paranoid about what you're doing.

Unfortunately you don't always get to choose who you live with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

It's as easy for others to simply conflate your concern with nosiness/control as it is for you to seemingly conflate their privacy with paranoia.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

I've lived with someone I didn't trust, or trust her "friends"...
    One night, I was sick in bed, and she arrived back with them, and my light was off, and I heard someone come up the stairs, open my door, turn on the light, and started going true my stuff, "looking for a scissors" (my backside!). They didn't realize I was there.
    well hell broke loose, and the next day I went straight to woodies to get the keys to my bedroom and storage room.

Don't chance it. Thankfully my money and expensive/important items were hidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Damnbant

just reading all your replies now. It is a basta lock so easy enough to get in woodies.

regarding the 'fire hazard'....I would only be locking my door if i was going out i wouldnt be locking it when i am in the house.
    I am not saying that i dont trust them but what if i was out and as a few of you have said, if they had guests over, i dont want all my personal belongings easily accesible to strangers.
    it's not as if i have 1k under my pillow or anything, but all my personal belongings...my personal space ...peace of mind knowing my stuff is safe. At least if anything did go missing out of my room i cannot blame anyone but know that i must have misplaced it myself.
    Yes my housemate did seem offended but I feel if i want a lock on my bedroom door I am well entitled

Satori Rae wrote: »
    Unfortunately you don't always get to choose who you live with.

One of the nice things about being an adult is that you do get to choose!

I would never, ever, move into a house share where I did not choose it and meet all the housemates beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

In fairness, if you went asking this in the way your posts suggest I think you might have offended your housemate. No offence but I picked up a hint of an accusatory tone in your post.

I live in a houseshare. None of the rooms are locked. We are respectful of eachother and so we don't see the need for it.

Apart from fire safety I think its reasonable enough...

House share..
    mates over for weekend "ah shur Mary's gone home ye can use her bed."
    Mates over late night drinking.... "ahhh sorry wrong room".

What if you want to leave valuables there whilst out... laptop/ipad/headphones/jewelery.. youll probably say uuuuu should just carry all valuables at all times but this is impossible say if you want to go on night out etc.. plus... mates of other tennants come over and something goes missing.

It happens, ... grand if you want your housemate to be a mate but thats not always possible.

Avoids problems in the long run. If other housemates get in a huff then thats their problem that they can't go into your room whenever they want.. I dont see how it affects other housemates either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

you say you don't care but then in the last sentence it does bother you!

Read the posts about the drunken mate experiences. Its all well and good to claim from the outset to a newbie that "oh we're not like that in this house" but does the newbiew know that for certain. Then theres mates of mates!!

Been there, had the apologies ...but yet had to do the sanitising myself after. Simple solution, lock door.

Check with landlord first OP once you go disassembling things... other housemates might be too happy to report ya if things go bad before moving out time with deposit/bills etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

If it's a Basta lock or similar brand just get a screwdriver and take the lock out and down to your local locksmiths with it, new keys only a few euro. With Basta there's around 20 or so possible keys so no point in buying keys to try, just bring the lock and buy the keys.
    Most places that sell keys for this type of lock have a full set that they supply (with or without a deposit) for you to bring home to ID the number of the key you need!;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I would never, ever, move into a house share where I did not choose it and meet all the housemates beforehand.

Meeting somebody tells you very little beyond personal initial judgement.
    Like it or not when people move in with strangers they are just that, strangers, this is why I live with a cat and not other people. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I'm sorry but that is such a condescending post. Just because someone is an adult does not necessarily mean they have the option of choice. You do not know people's personal circumstances only that of your own!

Me, I live with a friend, I don't lock my door but if I had to move in with people I don't know I'd be locking my door!

• Advertisement

No you don't always have a choice when I went to college I had to stay in a building that held around 60 other people we had on campus security however drunk people managed to sneak in from other parts of the campus or from of campus, there was also a sexual assault and murder in the woods behind our building.

I also had 2 attempted beaks ins while I was trying to sleep in my room on campus.

Also many people can only afford to rent rooms and do not have the luxury to interview everyone who will be staying with them, my partner rented a double room with en-suite in a house with all bills included in rent that held 10 other people (some he knew some he didn't as they where on all different courses or where new to the area). He could not pre interview everyone as some only rented there for a week until they got there own place. And not everyone has time for that.

Also rent was high in the area and he found such a good place to stay and he was trying to save money he couldn't afford to move, he only had one issue with one of the guys who tried to get into his room while we where asleep in bed.

But yes your post seems very condescending just bear in mind everyone is different!

Advertisement