Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Mesa Source

• 05-05-2015 3:53pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Eh, I got sent this link and managed to watch about 15 seconds of the video before my work firewall blocked it.

It looked like it might be a promo for Half Life 3 - a scientist in Black Mesa is talking and then we see a soldier with what looked to me to be a Gauss Gun. I didn't get to see any more after that, perhaps someone else could talk a look...

http://www.bmrf.us/

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Some saying that it's for a remake of HL1. Bah.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The link won't load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It's an indie project that is recreating Half Life in the source engine. This announcement is probably about Part 2. They have nothing to do with Valve (though apparently have their blessing, otherwise the copyright doom hammer would have smote them long ago).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Seems to be overloaded. I had to refresh it a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

god damn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

After the vid the site redirects to Steam, where Black Mesa appears as an early access game

its going to be on source 2 just so you all know

anyone have a youtube link ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Can the mods change the title

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Can the mods change the title

Unhappily :(

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote:
    Unhappily

May I be the first to say I'm underwhelmed by this

Although it's a reskin of something I like it's not quite the carrot on a stick I was hopping for

But I remain confident that the project will be worth far more than , the initial, appraisal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I've played Black Mesa for free before, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's high quality work. So I went and bought it there. Well worth 20 quid.

Reskinned versions of the old multiplayer maps too.

fergus1001 wrote: »
    May I be the first to say I'm underwhelmed by this

Although it's a reskin of something I like it's not quite the carrot on a stick I was hopping for

But I remain confident that the project will be worth far more than , the initial, appraisal.

My understanding is that it's not just a reskin, they've essentially remade the game, and it closely follows the original, but is a new product. They've added puzzles and obstacles based on Source physics, for example, that were impossible in the HL1 engine.

• I've played Black Mesa for free before, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's high quality work. So I went and bought it there. Well worth 20 quid.

Reskinned versions of the old multiplayer maps too.

I read they have improved the models / sounds / weapons etc since the 2012 free release...

Can you confirm?

M!Ck^ wrote:
    I read they have improved the models / sounds / weapons etc since the 2012 free release...

M!Ck^ wrote:

It said on the page that they are importing to a "new engine" so this is a source 2 product

• fergus1001 wrote: »
    It said on the page that they are importing to a "new engine" so this is a source 2 product

Yes but I would like to know what has changed since they released this for free

M!Ck^ wrote:
    Yes but I would like to know what has changed since they released this for free

It's now the entire game instead of what ever they had done, plus the textures have been updated again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

its going to be on source 2 just so you all know
    Not seeing that written anywhere. They seem to be calling it a hybrid version of the Source Engine but maybe they are not allowed to talk about Source 2?

It's now the entire game instead of what ever they had done, plus the textures have been updated again

The Xen section is still not finished according to the write up, so it's not yet the entire game. Apparently they want to improve the Xen parts, not just remake them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Myrddin wrote: »
    The Xen section is still not finished according to the write up, so it's not yet the entire game. Apparently they want to improve the Xen parts, not just remake them

True. Apparently the current earth based single player maps have been touched up and new voice dialogue has been added in.

Has anyone tried the multiplayer maps? Many people playing on them?

I remember a time when Valve were threatening to torpedo the Black Mesa remake entirely so its great to see the game finally on Steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Can you confirm?

If I'm being honest, it does look sharper and better looking than my memory. That said, I don't have both versions side by side to compare, so I can't be 100% sure that it's not just my memory playing itself down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

tbh do we really need the Xen sections?

Skerries wrote:

Well .... It is a remake and .... people are paying for it... so yeah I'd imagine people would be pissed without it

OSI wrote: »
    I was under the impression the Xen sections were impossible/too-difficult to implement in the existing Source engine which is why the project was split in 2 and taking years while they waited for a solution.

Seems more a resource & quality thing no? They obviously need fundage to do the job they feel deserves to be done.
    Skerries wrote: »

I have to say, the Xen sections never bothered me. They felt really, weird, like you actually felt a long long way from where you were meant to be. To me it felt truly alien, so yeah, I'd love to see them redone tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I'm not saying getting rid of the Xen sections altogether but maybe get rid of all the stupid platform bits where you have to jump from one floating section to the next and concentrate on adding more fighting sections or puzzles

I really liked Xen and think they did a great job of making it seem like an utterly bizarre place that man was never meant to go.

Advertisement