Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rear extension and Converting She - Planning

Options
  • 05-05-2015 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hi,

I am thinking of extending my house to the rear which would be under the 40 sq/m allowance for planning. I was also thinking of doing up one of the sheds for a music studio and linking to the house. On the Planning websites it says it is fine to do a rear extension under 40 sq/m, and also it is fine to convert a garage/shed that is under 40 sq/m, anyone know if its allowable to do both? There is nothing to indicate that it cant be done but thought id see if anyone has any experience or advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hi,

I am thinking of extending my house to the rear which would be under the 40 sq/m allowance for planning. I was also thinking of doing up one of the sheds for a music studio and linking to the house. On the Planning websites it says it is fine to do a rear extension under 40 sq/m, and also it is fine to convert a garage/shed that is under 40 sq/m, anyone know if its allowable to do both? There is nothing to indicate that it cant be done but thought id see if anyone has any experience or advice.

Thanks.

Planning required for everything and most likely a long form of commencement notice with Assigned Certifier (depending on the outcome of the BCAR Review).

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

CLASS 1
    The extension of a house, by the
    construction
    or erection of an extension
    (including a conservatory) to the rear of
    the house or by the conversion for use as
    part of the house of any garage, store,
    shed or other similar structure attached to
    the rear or to the side of the house.

the first limitation

1. (a) Where the house has not been
    extended previously, the floor area of
    any such extension shall not exceed 40
    square metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 patrickwoodcock

Planning is not required for the extension. Just wondering about the shed. It's just going to be a music studio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Planning is not required for the extension. Just wondering about the shed. It's just going to be a music studio

Big assumption re the extension unless you have also assessed it against the article 9 restrictions on exemptions too rather than just the conditions/limitations.

its been explained above... do both and if above 40 s m and you require planning

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote:
    its been explained above... do both and if above 40 s m and you require planning

sydthebeat wrote:

Your quote of the regs with the first limitation only is far from the only consideration and it would be highly inappropriate to say if they are under 40sq m they are OK.

moleyv wrote: »
    Your quote of the regs with the first limitation only is far from the only consideration and it would be highly inappropriate to say if they are under 40sq m they are OK.

but i didnt say that??????????

dont draw conclusions that arent there

sydthebeat wrote:

sydthebeat wrote:
    dont draw conclusions that arent there

This could easily be interpreted that if both are under 40 (up to 80 total) no planning is required.

The shed conversion is probably a diff class anyway depending on the detail of what is proposed.

moleyv wrote: »
    This could easily be interpreted that if both are under 40 (up to 80 total) no planning is required.

The shed conversion is probably a diff class anyway depending on the detail of what is proposed.

i only ever outlined why the op would require planning permission

i never at any stage indicated why they wouldnt

and from what the OP has stated, the shed would require planning permission if they were to do both

I still think that post could have easily been mis interpreted but it has been spelt out clearly now.

OP it might be worth contacting your LA to ask if they would consider the music shed conversion as class 3, part 1. They likely wouldn't but worth a phonecall.

If they did you could maybe do both without planning. Although it would be recommended getting a Section 5 declaration to that effect. This would also be very useful if selling in the future.

A section 5 will give you a definite answer on if it is exempt or not. This would require dwgs and maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 patrickwoodcock

I don't see why the rear extension would need consideration from the LA as its within the permitted developments, both the shed and the extension are. I agree a section 5 wouldn't do any harm. I guess I'll bite the bullet and contact the LA to see if both are permitted at the same time.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this though. Appreciate it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Hi,

Thanks.
    not a shed and not exempt assuming other extension due to it connectivity

Advertisement