Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for games like...

Options
  • 05-05-2015 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

I've been looking through my games and finding it hard to decide on something to play. Nothing is really appealing to me right now. I'm slogging through LEGO Batman 3 and it is not really clicking like past LEGO games.

I've been thinking about what games I've really enjoyed over the last year or so and I can see a similarity between them.

Shovel Knight
    Steamworld Dig
    Guacamelee
    Rogue Legacy

Have there been any other games like these that I've missed recently? I've got most platforms to choose from apart from Xbox One and PC.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Battleblock Theater is a great one you should check out.

Have you considered forking out on some Wii or Wii U 2D platformers (like say Donkey Kong or Super Mario Brothers Wii U)

Rayman Legends and Origins are really great too

Or if it's more the retro vibe, go but a SNES for the likes of Aladdin, B.O.B, Sunset Riders, Plok etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Cormac... wrote: »
    Battleblock Theater is a great one you should check out.

Have you considered forking out on some Wii or Wii U 2D platformers (like say Donkey Kong or Super Mario Brothers Wii U)

Rayman Legends and Origins are really great too

Or if it's more the retro vibe, go but a SNES for the likes of Aladdin, B.O.B, Sunset Riders, Plok etc etc

I've never heard of Battleblock Theatre, I must check it out.

It's not really a retro aesthetic that I'm looking for just some solid 2D platforming action. I've played most of the obvious ones on the Wii and WiiU.

There is one I'm holding back on, Batman The Brave and the Bold. Just waiting on my son to get a little older so we can do it co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Look up Elliot Quest on the Wii U.

Check out some trailers/'lets play' videos.

I've never heard of Battleblock Theatre, I must check it out.

It's not really a retro aesthetic that I'm looking for just some solid 2D platforming action. I've played most of the obvious ones on the Wii and WiiU.

There is one I'm holding back on, Batman The Brave and the Bold. Just waiting on my son to get a little older so we can do it co-op.

In that case I think BBT and the 2 Recent Rayman games would be your best bet, I own them all and found them solid in all ways and pretty good value for money, especially for couch-co-op

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Dragons Crown on the PS3 or Vita would be right up your street and, if you like that, check the rest of Vanillaware's back catalogue, Odin Sphere on the PS2 for example.
    Try the Megaman games from the various online stores too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,644 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Have you tried the Binding of Isaac: Rebirth? Sounds right down your road.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Dragons Crown on the PS3 or Vita would be right up your street and, if you like that, check the rest of Vanillaware's back catalogue, Odin Sphere on the PS2 for example.
    Try the Megaman games from the various online stores too.

I'm not sure about Dragons Crown. I've seen some clips of it but the art style has always put me off it. Just looking at some of the character art I'd be embarrassed if my wife was watching me play it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm not sure about Dragons Crown. I've seen some clips of it but the art style has always put me off it. Just looking at some of the character art I'd be embarrassed if my wife was watching me play it.

Well, there is that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

I haven't played it myself (probably because it is still in early access) but Broforce looks like it could be a good 2d sidescroller.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

One that immediately jumps out is Ori and The blind forest, on 360 check out Dust: an Elysian Tale and Super Meat Boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Play it on the Vita in a dark room......

In all seriousness though it's a pretty great game defiantly worth a look.

I second some of the other suggestions too like the 2D Mario and DK games on Wii or Wii U.

I thought the 2D Mario game on Wii U was severely underrated.

Nothing amazingly new but just so so polished both in terms of graphical presentation and gameplay.

One that immediately jumps out is Ori and The blind forest, on 360 check out Dust: an Elysian Tale and Super Meat Boy.

Yeah Ori looks really good but I don't have an Xbox One. When I do get one I'll pick up Ori.

I played Dust: An Elysian Tale for a while but it didn't really click with me. And you're right about Super Meat Boy, great game. Tough too.

Edit: Never mind

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cormac... wrote: »
    Ori is on 360 too

Sometime later this year it will be, no fixed date yet.

Child of Light is worth a look OP, though just be warned the combat is turn based so if that's not your thing steer clear.

Braid and Limbo are simply sublime and essential, frankly if you haven't played them by now you should probably give away your consoles and do some crosswords instead!
    Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are two more fantastic titles.
    If you want to go old school, Klonoa on the PS1 is a stunning game and might be available via PSN.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Rayman Origins and Rayman Legends are two more fantastic titles.

I think the two Rayman games look absolutely gorgeous but I don't like the way they play. There is something about the jumping that isn't accurate or responsive enough. For me it is closer to Little Big Planet (although still way better) than a 2D Mario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Trine and Trine 2 are really good platformers in my opinion. Trine 2 probably just breaches my top ten games of all time. Trine 3 just came out but I haven't had the time to investigate it yet. Also mark of the ninja is worth a mention, although it is more stealth than a platformer.

sarumite wrote: »
    Trine and Trine 2 are really good platformers in my opinion. Trine 2 probably just breaches my top ten games of all time. Trine 3 just came out but I haven't had the time to investigate it yet. Also mark of the ninja is worth a mention, although it is more stealth than a platformer.

Yep, Trine 2 was pretty good. I played it on PS4 thanks to PS+. I read that Trine 3 is a 3D platformer now which will mix things up considerably.

Advertisement