Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French grammar help

• 05-05-2015 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

My teacher is awful and corrects everything i write incorrectly. For my document im writing about a play does it make sense at the end to say
    "Je trouve que j'ai grandi en confiance de le spectacle"
    I'm trying to say I gained confidence from doing the play/ the experience basically. Any tips would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shamrock883

Hi Emma,

To grow in confidence is an English idiom that doesn't really translate that well into French. The verb grandir normally means to grow up, you'd sometimes hear 'devenir plus' (to become more...) in French.
    Some possibilities:

Le spectacle m'a donné la confiance de découvrir ma 'vraie voix' (The show gave me the confidence to discover my "true voice")
    Grâce au spectacle, j'ai pris confiance en moi (Thanks to the show, I have gained confidence in myself (NB the â and not a. No such word in French as 'Grace'!))
    Après le spectacle, je suis devenu plus confiant (keep it simple!)

Bonne chance :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Is devenir not conjugated with etre in the passe compose?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Shamrock883

vamos! wrote: »
    Is devenir not conjugated with etre in the passe compose?
    Yep, whoops; avoir hits the keys faster than the brain can stop it! Thanks vamos :)

Advertisement