Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC for around €1300.

Options
  • 05-05-2015 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

1. What is your budget?

€1300

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?

Gaming & Game Development with Unity. Current build is a few years old and doesn't cut it anymore with some newer titles I play like Rust.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?

No.

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?

No. Going to donate my old PC to my mother.

5. Do you need a monitor?

No.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?

No.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?

Yes.

8. How can you pay?

Visa Debit, or Bank Transfer

9. When are you purchasing?

Within the next few weeks.

I was looking at getting an AMD FX-8 8350 8 core processor, with an R9 270x 4GB graphics card, with 16 gigs of 2133mhz DDR3 ram. There's a build on overclockers here: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-022-OG&groupid=43&catid=2475&subcat=2489 - which falls generally within my 1300 budget, when upgrading to the required components. Although, I think if I put it together myself, I can probably save myself a few quid and maybe get more bang for my buck.

It's been quite a few years since I've built a PC, so I'm not overly comfortable with installing a water-based cooling system. Has been just straight forward vanilla builds in the past.

Suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i7 4790k 360
    Z97 Mb ASRock Pro4 maybe, 95
    16gb crucial ballistic sport 118
    500w PSU 60
    R9 290 290
    Crucial bx100 90
    WD Blue 1tb 55
    Nanoxia DS3 65
    Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 30

Made some changes as I was going along but its under €1200. Can add links later

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Any thoughts on other motherboard options? I was thinking about going for the GTX 970 instead of the R9 290.

Also, thoughts on liquid cooling instead of the Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212? Reviews on it look very good though, I have to say.

What resolution are you gaming at and will you be planning to upgrade to 4k on this build?

1080p for the moment, with intent to moving up to 1440p. No plans to upgrade to 4K at any point.

• Advertisement

R9 290 and 970 are tit for tat at 1440p, with the 290 being €60 or so cheaper. Your choice there.

Motherboard is overkill, no reason to go above€100 for your needs. The Pro4 above gives same functionality for a single card set up. Others are fine obviously, Gigabyte Z97P D3 is €85, another contender. You can't see inside the Nanoxia if you're worried about colour coding or whatever.

After that, build is fine, I know nothing about water cooling, but the Nanoxia is a cool case so won't be needed unless you're doing serious over clocking.

Don't know about game development so a 970 might be a better choice there.

500w PSU is fine with either card, no need in a 650w.

Everything else is fine.

If you're building yourself then type the parts through geizhals.de to get a discount on everything.

Advertisement