Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much for basic service

• 05-05-2015 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Just looking to get breaks tightened,gears cables tightened,oiled up just basic stuff for a bike I'm selling.maybe new tape on handlebars just to brighten it up(bloody white tape).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

A small bit of Googling and some YouTube videos will have you at DIY status. All you mention is easily done for free and in about an hour or so resulting in a higher margin!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,257 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

about €30 to €40; this would give a decent idea of what you can expect:

http://www.cyclezone.ie/#!services/c56p

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭willdill

crosstownk wrote: »
    A small bit of Googling and some YouTube videos will have you at DIY status. All you mention is easily done for free and in about an hour or so resulting in a higher margin!

Ha ha I tried to adjust some gears before and kinda made a bit of a mess of them.maybe I should give it another go and see how I get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

willdill wrote: »
    Ha ha I tried to adjust some gears before and kinda made a bit of a mess of them.maybe I should give it another go and see how I get on

I used this video to help me do the following:

degrease and lube chain
    clean cassette and chainset
    index gears
    adjust brakes
    ... This is pretty much what a bike shop will charge you 25-40 quid for .

http://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/tag/1-hour-tune-up/

Also replaced the chain handy enough. Youd be surprised how much you can do yourself with a bit od time and patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭willdill

jon1981 wrote: »
    I used this video to help me do the following:

degrease and lube chain
    clean cassette and chainset
    index gears
    adjust brakes
    ... This is pretty much what a bike shop will charge you 25-40 quid for .

http://www.globalcyclingnetwork.com/tag/1-hour-tune-up/

Also replaced the chain handy enough. Youd be surprised how much you can do yourself with a bit od time and patience.

Cheers for that Jon will have a look and try these vide much appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

willdill wrote: »

I found it was one of those things that was very time consuming first time, though youtube helps a lot. If you don't mind getting your hand dirty, quite rewarding to do and learn, and then easy for the next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

smacl wrote: »
    I found it was one of those things that was very time consuming first time, though youtube helps a lot. If you don't mind getting your hand dirty, quite rewarding to do and learn, and then easy for the next time.

Yeah I agree, you have to put probably so much more time in first time round that it probably would be more economical to leave into to a bike shop. However, persevere, I now do a service in a quarter of the time. A bike stand is a saviour and a must for doing most tune up activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If a person is not mechanically minded etc it is probably better and wiser to get a knowledgable person to fixed or adjust the brakes or at least be taught how to do it at the start.

While it was OK to use "trial and error" and treat bike maintainance as a learning experience when roads were quieter it is much more dangerous now as speeds are higher and traffic denser.

Advertisement