Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice wanted on belt change please, Fiat ducato 2.8jtd

Options
  • 05-05-2015 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Not sure whether I should put this in the main motors or the DIY forum, please feel free to move it if necessary.

My father in law phoned me this morning from the south-east of France. He's touring around in a 2004 motor-home with the Fiat Ducato 2.8 Jtd engine and is in a spot of bother. There is a far bit of noise coming from the belts or the water pump area. He is up in the mountains and pulled into a small garage where a local mechanic sprayed something on one of the belts (he thinks) and the noise stopped. There was a fair bit of a language barrier but the guy seemed to think it wasn't too big a problem. There is only approx 30,000 miles on the engine and the timing belt was changed at 24,000 in 2011 but the or water pump weren't. After driving onwards and over the border into Italy, the noise is back again as loud as the first time. Engine is not overheating and battery is charging as normal.

He is going to go to a garage tomorrow but asked me to try and find out what the rough cost of getting the V-ribbed belts changed might be or if anyone had any thoughts on what he might need to get done. I suppose Italy isn't a bad place to be with a broken down Fiat but he doesn't want to be taken advantage of either which can happen if you're stranded abroad. He has about 2 months of driving to go so is nervous of damaging something if he doesn't sort it.

Any advice, ideas or experience anyone has had with these belts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Should probably replace it, might as well. Usually slipping because its old. Saying that it could be years before it snaps but not something you want to happen abroad. I couldn't say without seeing it if it has weeks or years left. Sounds like his altenator/drive/auxilary/fan belt is slipping btw. It has many names! Water pumps are run off the timing belt which is tooted so never slips. That mechanic probably just sprayed water or something on the belt. Stops them slipping for a bit. Might just need to be tightened but the belts are only about 30 euro and a hours labour so not more than a 100 euro note all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The DIY forum is if you intend to do it yourself. This is a motor home so goes in that forum :)

This thread has some info on cost here in RoI, god know what it costs in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Interslice wrote: »
    Should probably replace it, might as well. Usually slipping because its old. Saying that it could be years before it snaps but not something you want to happen abroad. I couldn't say without seeing it if it has weeks or years left. Sounds like his altenator/drive/auxilary/fan belt is slipping btw. It has many names! Water pumps are run off the timing belt which is tooted so never slips. That mechanic probably just sprayed water or something on the belt. Stops them slipping for a bit. Might just need to be tightened but the belts are only about 30 euro and a hours labour so not more than a 100 euro note all in.

Thanks for the reply. From what I could see online, there seems to be 2 auxiliary belts on that engine. One of them goes around the crankshaft, water pump and alternator and the second belt goes around the crankshaft and Air Conditioning pump. Got that info from this diagram here. http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/drive-belts/contitech-6pk995d1_g542_a0316PK995D1.html

I don't understand how that kit is so expensive though. The belts themselves are only about 10-15.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Thanks for the reply. From what I could see online, there seems to be 2 auxiliary belts on that engine. One of them goes around the crankshaft, water pump and alternator and the second belt goes around the crankshaft and Air Conditioning pump. Got that info from this diagram here. http://www.mister-auto.ie/en/drive-belts/contitech-6pk995d1_g542_a0316PK995D1.html

I don't understand how that kit is so expensive though. The belts themselves are only about 10-15.

Thats an odd setup. That kit's expensive because it comes with a new pulley. Maybe the pulleys give hassle.

The big question is then is there a grinding type noise coming from the water pump or altenator bearing or is it just the belt sqeeking away as its slipping. Sounds like the later if your man up the mountains fixed it with water.

I'd get the belt changed no bother, but wouldn't change a perfectly working water pump in a foreign country as a 'while your at it you might as well kinda thing' just in case it starts leaking or something after.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

could be the waterpump :

Fiat DUCATO 2007 water pump failure at 34000Km only four years old

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

He is up in the mountains and pulled into a small garage where a local mechanic sprayed something on one of the belts (he thinks) and the noise stopped.

Problem diagnosed or coincidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

If its got aircon it could be the aircon clutch kicking it and the aircon belt slipping which explains intermittant noise.
    3000 miles a year means an awful lot of standing around leads to rusty pulleys alternators and bearings rusty pulley acts like sandpaper of the belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Thanks for the suggestions which I am relaying to him. They're in a campsite in Italy balming out in 25 degree heat so I don't have much sympathy for them!! From reading other forums the water pumps on those don't generally give trouble although the one linked to above was definitely wrecked after very low miles. The engine didn't overheat at any stage in the drive from Cork all the way across France up into the Alps and that was towing a trailer and Smart Car as well. That would lead me to think that the pump is working ok but maybe the belt is slipping a bit.

@Moodrater - it does have air conditioning which is nearly always on - especially in the warmer climates. I hadn't thought of that. I'll mention it and see if there is any change if it is on/off. They're going to enjoy the sun for a few days before heading off somewhere bigger where he can find a Fiat garage.

Advertisement