Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

power ups and projectiles

I genuinely cannot understand what these could possibly add to the game.

There's one path to redemption for Tony Hawks, and it's to go back to basics - take what worked in THPS3, and make more of it. Air tricks, grabs, flips and grinds, reverts and manuals. No frills, no whistles, no projectiles. As someone who always encourages innovation and experimentation, it pains me to say that, but there's a perfect formula there that could be easily brought back after a generation's rest.

Alas since the developers of this couldn't get THPS HD right - which was effectively a free slam dunk - I'm not confident they'll pull of a whole new fifth entry (and using THPS as the title sets expectations high). Here's hoping for a pleasant surprise, but can't shake that skepticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Was excited.

Saw it was being developed by Robomodo, the same lads who made Tony Hawk Ride, Tony Hawk Shred and the Tony Hawk HD remake. All of them were ****e.

No longer excited.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Seems like a perfect example of a developer listening to it's fans, and than ignoring everything that they said.

Projectiles? Seriously :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd give the devs a pass for Ride and Shred, because let's be fair they were about as doomed to failure as a project could be given their very concepts.

HD on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Skate 4 to be announced at E3, or leaked early.

I actually enjoyed THPS HD. Muscle memory all came back, only thing I didn't like was no skater vids when you aced everything.

I believe this is the last Tony Hawk game in that ludicrous deal Activision made. I'm hoping hard it's at least good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

THPS 3 in my opinion was the best tony hawks game (great soundtrack as well), never liked the THUG games and hearing the projectiles thing is disappointing but I'll wait and see how it plays out.

rizzla wrote: »
    Skate 4 to be announced at E3, or leaked early.

I actually enjoyed THPS HD. Muscle memory all came back, only thing I didn't like was no skater vids when you aced everything.

I believe this is the last Tony Hawk game in that ludicrous deal Activision made. I'm hoping hard it's at least good.

Black Box went under about 2 years ago unfortunately, so if it is announced it will be developed by a different team :(

Not sure what the situation with the rights is, very likely EA owns them.

Seem to recall a kickstarter for it a while ago though , not sure what happened with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Series began a downward curve after THPS 2 that was tolerable by THUG and a complete disaster by THUG 2, cannot say I"m particularly excited about this and I was a HUGE THPS fan. Seems like it should just be taken out back and have a bullet put in the back of it's head. Even the screen shots look like cr@p.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

2 is probably the closest to my heart, the revert mechanic in 3 added a lot but the levels just weren't as interesting IMO.

they should try and keep it as close to 2 and 3 as possible, none of this getting off the board and running and climbing wankery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Sunk countless hours into number 2.

Knew the game inside out, loved it.

Pity this looks like it won't be a return to glory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I haven't played HD, but was a huge fan of the series in general. What went wrong on that title? Also, how could something go wrong there?

With Pro Skater 5 here, I think even the title says that their going old school with it. It hasn't been a Pro Skater line since near the start of PS2's era. This is an all or nothing attempt for the franchise, I reckon. Could be amazing. Sometimes back to basics is the best way to go. Look at Mortal Kombat, for example. Their reboot went back to 2D and built a solid game from there, these guys could do the same by returning to the classic format. However, will theat format hold up now? Gaming's moved on a fair amount since the Pro Skater days and people demand a lot more from their games now.

Also if it doesn't have that "Whipppeeeeew!" sound when you beat a mission, I'm out!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

http://theridechannel.com/news/2015/08/tony-hawk-pro-skater-5-screenshots

Looks very 2008.

Also...
    Playable characters will include professional skateboarders Nyjah Huston, Riley Hawk, Aaron "Jaws" Homoki, Ishod Wair, Leticia Bufoni, Chris Cole, David Gonzalez, Andrew Reynolds, Lizzie Armanto,

Who?! I'm sure they're the famous skaters nowadays but they could at least tempt the older players with some nostalgia in the form of Mullen or Bam Margera.

Does not look like value for money at €60 or whatever, looks pretty average graphics wise and I have no faith of them making the gameplay better without being gimmicky

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I'm really liking the new art design, good idea from the team. I really doubt it will be 60 quid, well I fecking hope anyway! Wouldn't mind it as a half price psn game. The 20 players going around the same level could b e a laugh.

Pity EA won't pull their finger out and announce Skate 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Played all of them up to Project 8. The series got pretty bad from THUG 2, and American Wasteland was bloody awful.

I think the series is kind of dead to be honest. We've all put ridiculous hours into it, I think any more games is flogging a dead horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Played all of them up to Project 8. The series got pretty bad from THUG 2, and American Wasteland was bloody awful.

I think the series is kind of dead to be honest. We've all put ridiculous hours into it, I think any more games is flogging a dead horse.

I agree with you about the series slumping from THUG 2 onwards, but I think if they can get a THPS right by going back to basics theres definitely a place for it. Something like the original THUG would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

The trailer they released a few months ago looked pretty rough, not holdding out too much hope for this. I like that they're going back to the roots but I played Pro Skater 3 on an emulator a few weeks ago and, to be honest, I think that satisfied the urge. Probably will suffice next time it arises as well from now on. Hoping I'm wrong but I'd say I'd only pick the new one up if I saw it for super cheap or it was part of GWG!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Pumped hours into the first couple of these. Have fond memories of being sick one weekend and getting every single video tape on 1, and 2 was one of the first games I got on the PS 2. Both had amazing soundtracks.

T.H.U.G was enjoyable and added a new dimension with the storyline. Last one I played was American wasteland and probably put about an hour into it in total. Think the first couple just came out at the right time with skateboarding being popular with kids and jackass/viva la bam being on tv they benefited from it. I think even if this one was as good as 1 or 2 it would be nowhere near as popular.

^ also my fave song in THPS 1, overall the soundtrack in the 2nd was way better though. Series had jumped the shark after THUG

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yep.

You by Bad Religion,
    Blood Brothers by Papa Roach and When Worlds Collide are the stand out ones from 2 for me.

And T.H.U.G has Armageddon by Alkaline Trio.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    And T.H.U.G has Armageddon by Alkaline Trio.

I got engaged on stage with those guys :D

Cormac... wrote: »
    I got engaged on stage with those guys :D

Did you really? That's a great tune!

colmulhall wrote: »
    Did you really? That's a great tune!

Yup, 2 years ago, best day ever :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It needs a 7.8 gig day one patch, which is nearly twice as big as the game itself.

Xenji wrote: »
    It needs a 7.8 gig day one patch, which is nearly twice as big as the game itself.

That's mental. Can't believe this is 60 quid on psn store. Definitely waiting for a sale and that's only is user reviews are any good.

Xenji wrote: »

Really? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Reviewers on got their copies today, another bad sign.

Eurogamer reckon it is a terrible glitchy mess even with the patch.

Jaysus EA, announce Skate 4 already!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Jaysus EA, announce Skate 4 already!
    It's been 5 years since Skate 3 :eek: :(

Advertisement