Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onward Travel Mexico?

Options
  • 05-05-2015 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Myself and my girlfriend are going travelling through Central and South America for a couple of months in June. Have most of our route etc. planned but we are finding it awkward to book something to show that we'll be leaving Mexico. We're flying into Mexico City but we've been told that we'll need proof of onward travel. Has anybody any experience of booking a bus out of Mexico to Belize?? I tried the ADO website but it won't let me book a journey. We'd be willing to take a water taxi too as long as we know we're booking through a reputable company.

Thanks for any advice on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tuff1

Kevcol wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Myself and my girlfriend are going travelling through Central and South America for a couple of months in June. Have most of our route etc. planned but we are finding it awkward to book something to show that we'll be leaving Mexico. We're flying into Mexico City but we've been told that we'll need proof of onward travel. Has anybody any experience of booking a bus out of Mexico to Belize?? I tried the ADO website but it won't let me book a journey. We'd be willing to take a water taxi too as long as we know we're booking through a reputable company.

Thanks for any advice on this

Have you heard this from somebody who's been there, or just from the Mexican Immigration information? A surprising amount of countries officially require proof of onward travel, but its (very) rarely enforced!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

It was trailfindera that recommended we book something to show that we'll be travelling onwards but they didn't give any specific ideas. One thing they said is to book a dummy flight and then cancel and get a refund but I'm not risking that in case we don't get the money back

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭tuff1

You'd be very unlucky to be asked for proof of onward travel at immigration, like I say plenty of countries say you need it, but I've never heard of someone actually being pulled for it.

If you want to play it safe then I would say a refundable plane ticket is the way to go alright. Most good airlines will do them, it'll be called a FlexiMax ticket or something similar. Make sure to read the fine print with it as to refunds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

I've seen lads get turned away trying to leave Nicaragua, they ended up buying a bus ticket at the side of the road. Usually ticket available online for around 30 dollars to leave a country in CA. Try searching for shuttle buses. I find paying the extra cost for the shuttle buses worth it over chicken buses for border hopping as the driver collects all the passports of the passengers, skips the queue and sometimes the process takes 5 mins instead of 2 or 3 hours.

If your not thinking of using the ticket just try and search for the towns either side of the border to cut cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kevcol

Hadn't tried looking up shuttle buses before this, thanks a mill. Was able to book one from San Cristobal to Guatemala. That's another job done, cheers for that :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement