Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripped dew claw :(

• 05-05-2015 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My three- year old lurcher Sadie has ripped her dew claw tonight when out running. It's still there, but hanging on by a thread.

We've rang the on-call vet, but is there anything we can do in the meantime while we are waiting for them to get back to us?

Sadie seems fine, but keeps trying to lick it. I am feeling quite queasy.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ouch!
    Some dew claws have a bone in them, some don't. I'm guessing that Sadie's doesn't.
    I'd be inclined to give it a gentle clean with some warm, salty water, place a clean, non-fluffy pad on it, and bandage it up just to keep it clean until you get to the vet. Don't try to pull at it or anything, let the vet do any rooting that needs to be done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭dobman88

DBB wrote: »
    Ouch!
    Some dew claws have a bone in them, some don't. I'm guessing that Sadie's doesn't.
    I'd be inclined to give it a gentle clean with some warm, salty water, place a clean, non-fluffy pad on it, and bandage it up just to keep it clean until you get to the vet. Don't try to pull at it or anything, let the vet do any rooting that needs to be done!

This.

Just keep it covered and her comfy and she'll be fine. Our retriever had one of his out a few months ago and it's a simple enough process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Is it front or back? I would bandage it too. I hate these new laws about removal of dewclaws. The back ones that have no bone are a nightmare for getting torn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

@Knine It was the front one. It was grim to be honest, flapping about.

Just back from the vets. The vet said that she ripped it off at the root, so he snipped it off, cleaned it up and gave her a shot of anti-biotics. Five days of antibiotics and hopefully she be ok. She's in grand form, but wasn't very impressed about a visit to the vets.

I beginning to suspect that she's on a suicide mission, losing count of the amount of times we've had to bring her to the vets! :)

Advertisement