Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UCL Semi Final First Leg: FC Barcelona vs FC Bayern München RTE 2, SS5,SS1 K/O 19.45

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

For what? Yes he goes down in the box, there's contact but not enough for a penalty. Not a penalty but also not a dive, there's an in between you know.

Anyway I don't care, Barcelona are back baby!

An absolutely blatant dive or for even getting in the refs face after he got the yellow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Once again pep won the possession game.

53% 47%

Rte lads clearly haven't watch Barca all season. That's the way they play.

I'd imagine most have him on ignore at this stage

Good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

A Henry Shefflin nod again by Eamon beat that in cringeyness AndersonIsGod!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Turtwig wrote: »
    Bayern only had one decent scoring chance all game. One!

Barcelona had quite a few. Deserved win and maybe 3 was one goal too many. But the win was utterly deserved Bayern had the ball and did little with it.

Bayern were missing what makes them special, Robben and Ribbery's pace. they did well with some of their first team players missing. Barca deserved it but they were playing a team missing their two first choice attackers and one of their top defenders too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Do the soccer regulars here ever get tired of this nonsense?

I'm far more excited in person than I'm showing here. I can hardly put into words what that game, what that performance means to every Barcelona fan around the world. Anything I say is simply insignificant in comparison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Madonna is a highly overrated artist definitely. :)

Maradona did everything Zidane could do, and more, at supersonic speed.

You're thinking of Super Mario ;-)

Two different players, would definitely have Zizou up there.

No. We accept it and love it.

Fairy nuff

The guys moaning about Andersonsisgod is much worse than his posts imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

ERG89 wrote: »
    A Henry Shefflin nod again by Eamon beat that in cringeyness AndersonIsGod!!!

Nods to the perennial favourites Ruby Walsh and BOD too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

kfallon wrote: »
    An absolutely blatant dive or for even getting in the refs face after he got the yellow!

There was as much contact as the one Alves got booked for on Lewandowski at the start of the 2nd half.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

I'm far more excited in person than I'm showing here. I can hardly put into words what that game, what that performance means to every Barcelona fan around the world. Anything I say is simply insignificant in comparison.

I thought you were a Chelsea fan??

Messi wouldn't cut it in Galway for Rag Week never mind the races.
    I think Eamon is AndersonIsGod tbh

Waiting for Giles with the 'moral courage' now

Bohrio wrote: »
    Although this might happen, they were beaten playing the football they like to practice. I wouldnt be disappointed if I was a bayern supporter. They did their best and they still have the 2nd leg... :S

I don't know, I don't think many would be happy and I say the board won't be happy either, they bought him in over a manager who won them the treble cause they expected European Football domination for years but he's made them worse rather then better on the European front, they are still winning domestic titles but they are way ahead of everyone else in that league. I think they give him another year and if he doesn't win the CL then I think they let him go.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Deserved win for Barca, Bayern looked suspect at the back throughout the game, just took a while for Barca to finally take their chances. Still in awe of Messi's goals.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Looper007 wrote: »
    But that's always been Peps way, go all out attack. He's not a Sir Alex, he's a good coach who had some of the best players to pick from at Barca. While at Bayern I doubt he get troubled in the German league but in Europe he's been outsmarted twice in the CL in the last two years. He's no Plan B.

Pep did tonight what no top manager would ever do and went man for man at the back. He had to change this inside 20 mins because his team were about to be annihilated. His players' experience saw them as far as they did. If Steve McClaren was manager of Bayern and started with those tactics tonight he'd be absolutely slaughtered.

Pep is overrated. He managed a great Barca team with all time greats all over the pitch. He took over a super Bayern team. He has tactically cost his team two years in a row. His hand was a little forced tonight by injury but his starting tactics were naive, if not downright arrogant tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

But that's always been Peps way, go all out attack. He's not a Sir Alex, he's a good coach who had some of the best players to pick from at Barca. While at Bayern I doubt he get troubled in the German league but in Europe he's been outsmarted twice in the CL in the last two years. He's no Plan B.

Yep, the naivety may go away with age, he's gotten done in twice in the semis with Bayern as you say, with the same tactics. He needs to learn to be more adaptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I switched off. But did he mention Tony McCoy and Brian Cody?

Bayern were missing what makes them special, Robben and Ribbery's pace. they did well with some of their first team players missing. Barca deserved it but they were playing a team missing their two first choice attackers and one of their top defenders too.

Agreed to an extent.
    I don't think Bayern have been special since pep took over. I think pep is one of the greatest visionaries ever.

However once Messi scored Bayern needed to shut up shop.

Hold onto the one goal deficit. Stall the momentum.

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »

Not yet. No mention of Guile yet either

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Messi is just an absolute pleasure to watch. But that aside, a very good Munich team were made look very ordinary tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Maradonna overrated.

The mind really boggles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

"Neuer aint gonna break Messi's heart, nobody is"
    "Messi never dives" - fúck off!!
    "He had the courage"
    "He didn't score the fifth goal in a 5-0 win"
    "These guys (Giles and Brady) were great players in stadiums were you needed to win games"
    "One person with the balls that took responsibility, a sign of a man"

bla bla bla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Still not convinced lahm in midfield makes bayern any better either considering it considerably weakens their right hand side.

Love the RTE lads. Eamonn is in poetry mode

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Messi the boss yet again. Marvelous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

To those who wanted Enrique gone, thinking he was just a puppet and a fraud; those who thought he was alienating Messi, who thought Enrique should be sacked earlier in the season; those who questioned putting Messi on the right...

Honestly, what do you have to say now?

Some posters wrote absolute nonsense earlier this season. What do you say now?

Yep, the naivety may go away with age, he's gotten done in twice in the semis with Bayern as you say, with the same tactics. He needs to learn to be more adaptable.

The question is can he be. was he just a very lucky man to have a team with Messi, Xavi and Iniesta and other top players and he could get them to out pass any team in the world or will he eventually bring in a plan b. I don't see him ever changing and I think whoever he manages that's the style and he hope his players will get him over the line.

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    Some posters wrote absolute nonsense earlier this season. What do you say now?

They'll probably say that hindsight is 20-20. :)

All I hope is that it is not an El Clasico CL final.

That could be a nightmare to watch in terms of play acting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Turn your phone off Eamo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

klose wrote: »
    Still not convinced lahm in midfield makes bayern any better either considering it considerably weakens their right hand side.

Have to agree. Lahm is a 'world class' RB and just a 'class' midfielder.

Juve Barca final lets have it.

Messi the boss yet again. Marvelous.

If they win the CL this year it be down to him, they wouldn't have won tonight if it wasn't for him. No word can describe him, plus he's a team player and that's why I always put him over Ronaldo.

But still I can't love Barcelona, their dealings off the field and other things just leave a soar taste in my mouth. But Messi is just out of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Women's WC starts the same night, prob watch that tbh, rather watch women than a bunch of sissies rolling around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Boateng dropped like one of those fainting goats:

PortlyUnconsciousGoldenretriever.gif

fainting-goat-o.gif

I still think Madrid will do over Juventus at home. Madrid were off the boil last night.

I think it be a El Classico final and expect some of the most shady behaviour for sure.

Did Dunphy just say Munich last won it (CL) in 2010?

Or Barca?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If they win the CL this year it be down to him, they wouldn't have won tonight if it wasn't for him. No word can describe him, plus he's a team player and that's why I always put him over Ronaldo.

But still I can't love Barcelona, their dealings off the field and other things just leave a soar taste in my mouth. But Messi is just out of this world.

Even barca under Pep were the same. With all the talent they looked out of ideas when messi wasn't playing. But there's no shame in having to rely on the best player of all time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Do the soccer regulars here ever get tired of this nonsense?
    martyos121 wrote: »
    Nah, his "ignored-by" list is longer than Messi's list of goals.

And yet, for all the people "ignoring" him, here you all are talking about him in glorious HD Internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Trilla wrote: »

Or Barca?

Barca.......I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

kfallon wrote: »
    There's 2 of them in your lifetime.....

It's a bit late for me to go and see Maradona play. Him and Messi the two standout players in my lifetime.

Even barca under Pep were the same. With all the talent they looked out of ideas when messi wasn't playing. But there's no shame in having to rely on the best player of all time

Its worrying if he got injured what would they do without him, I doubt Suarez or Neymar would have broke down a Stubborn Bayern tonight. Everything was going through Messi. The reason Barca are on for a treble is down to the little man, even Jose and his Chelsea defence would find it hard to stop him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

It's a bit late for me to go and see Maradona play. Him and Messi the two standout players in my lifetime.

Not too late to see Maradona in his prime. Go to one of his parties, you'll see him work his magic once again between a field of white lines. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Henry just there...

father_ted_gif.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

martyos121 wrote: »
    Not too late to see Maradona in his prime. Go to one of his parties, you'll see him work his magic once again between a field of white lines. :pac:

He has lost none of his speed anyway

Boateng dropped like one of those fainting goats

How did Pep leave him in on, he was awful all night to be fair

Can someone explain how one set of possession stats is

53% 47% in favor of Bayern.

And the other is.

Barcelona 52% Bayern 48%

Which one is time based and which one is percentage of game total passes?

Rinky Dink Boxing and Lichtenstein...Eamon is turning up the gears like Messi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Trilla wrote: »

Or Barca?

Whichever he said both are wrong.

Apparently Busquets had a poor game tonight according to Dunphy. I honestly think he watches different games to me. I thought Busquets was absolutely immense again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement