Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy PC parts onlinr?

Options
  • 05-05-2015 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46,108 ✭✭✭✭

My young lad is getting a friend to build him a gaming pc and has a list of what he needs. In order to keep costs as low as possible we want to shop around for the best prices.

I know we can check places like Amazon, Dabs, PC World etc but where do you guys shop or where would you recommend?

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Hardwareversand.de after running the parts through geizhals.de for a discount.

Do you want to post the build for review?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

overclockers.co.uk can have some decent deals. Amazon too. It's good to shop around but if you want to just order from one place then it's hard to beat hardwareversand.de + geizhals.de. You'll need to do some additional searching on here for the full process. Can't hurt to ask the friend to post the components up here, we can give feedback on them and suggest some saving tips if cost is an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,108 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thanks guys. I'll post up a list a bit later when he gets in from college.

after running the parts through geizhals.de for a discount.
    How does that work regarding a discount?

Xenoronin wrote: »
    You'll need to do some additional searching on here for the full process.
    Im lost on this part Im afraid.

Sorry lads, but Im new to all this and not very tech savvy :o

I don't know to be honest, affiliate sites or something I believe? Knocks 5 euro or so off every part is all I care about :o

You simply search the part you want e.g. i5 4460, and click the link. Then you scroll down the page until you see the red 'hardwareversand' button, which links you back to hwvs. You then click add the basket and voilà. Back to geizhals for your next part.

• Advertisement

I don't know to be honest, affiliate sites or something I believe? Knocks 5 euro or so off every part is all I care about :o

You simply search the part you want e.g. i5 4460, and click the link. Then you scroll down the page until you see the red 'hardwareversand' button, which links you back to hwvs. You then click add the basket and voilà. Back to geizhals for your next part.
    Do you have to sign up to geizhals first and then get a promo code emailed to you or is it a case of just linking through their site and a discount is automatically applied when checking out on the hardwareversand site?

Also is it a percentage discount or a fixed €5 on orders over €100 for example?

No sign up or anything needs, just click straight through their website

I don't know how its calculated, different on different items. if you were getting only 1 item, you can get the discount, but it varies from item to item.

Only way to know how much you'll save is type every item you're getting through.

Right, this is the list but he still has to choose a case. Any comments would be most welcome.

AMD FX-8370 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor
    MSI 970 GAMING ATX AM3+ Motherboard
    Crucial Ballistix 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    XFX Radeon R9 280X 3GB Double Dissipation Video Card
    EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer

I think the budget is about 750 - 800

If its purely for gaming, an Intel build would be better, no need for a 750w in any case, I'm running a 280x of a 400w PSU.

I'll scout the parts now and see what's what, don't know many AMD boards off the top of my head.

This should be good enough. The SSD isn't really necessary (but damn if it isn't after using one). Could probably get a cheaper graphics card for gaming at 1080p to be honest... no real need to go over 200. The R9 270X would be a good choice. Two 4gb ddr3 RAM is better than one 8gb if you make use of duel-channel.

No need to even think about overclocking. It's something you mess around with when you have money to potentially burn. None of this went through geizhals.de so you can expect more savings on this price... also if you google vouchers for hardwareversand you should get a 10 or 20euro off.

• Advertisement

If its purely for gaming, an Intel build would be better, no need for a 750w in any case, I'm running a 280x of a 400w PSU.
    Mostly gaming but I think he will use it for a bit of college work also - MS office or the likes. A lower power supply would be music to my ears as I'm guessing the electric bills would be that little bit cheaper :D

I'll scout the parts now and see what's what, don't know many AMD boards off the top of my head.
    Much appreciated

Xenoronin wrote: »
    This should be good enough. The SSD isn't really necessary (but damn if it isn't after using one). Could probably get a cheaper graphics card for gaming at 1080p to be honest... no real need to go over 200. The R9 270X would be a good choice. Two 4gb ddr3 RAM is better than one 8gb if you make use of duel-channel.

No need to even think about overclocking. It's something you mess around with when you have money to potentially burn. None of this went through geizhals.de so you can expect more savings on this price... also if you google vouchers for hardwareversand you should get a 10 or 20euro off.
    I think he mentioned something about leaving out some hard drive or other so as to keep costs down. Thanks very much for the other points mentioned.

I must get him to have a look at this thread as he just asked me to check for recommendations for the best place to buy the items.

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box|€€ 180
    ASRock H97 Pro4, Socket 1150 ATX|€€ 84
    8GB Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9|€€ 53
    Nanoxia DeepSilence DS 3 Dark Black without power supply|€€ 69
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb / s|€€ 52
    XFX Radeon R9 280X Double Dissipation Edition with MANTLE and Gaming Evolved client, 3GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, 2x mini DisplayPort|€€ 236
    Thermaltake Hamburg 530W|€€ 47
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€737

Very similar to build above mine, better case, cheaper PSU, a 280X which I'd prefer but that's just me, lots of nVidia fanboys about too. I haven't a SSD either but add a Crucial BX100 if you want to spare €90 for a 250gb.

Mine also has geizhals discount for reference, but the links won't work properly, you'll have to redo them yourself. Either build is fine anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

ticle No. HV20I546DE
    Intel Core i5-4460 in-a-Box
    ready for dispatch

180,89 €

180,89 €
    Article No. HV20MI48DE
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9
    ready for dispatch

53,53 €

53,53 €
    Article No. HV13W1CBDE
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's
    ready for dispatch

54,05 €

54,05 €
    Article No. HVR501SBDE
    be quiet! SYSTEM POWER 7 500W - bulk -
    ready for dispatch

58,74 €

58,74 €
    Article No. HV1140MVDE
    MSI H97 PC Mate, Sockel 1150, ATX
    ready for dispatch

78,01 €

78,01 €
    Article No. HV1038MSDE
    MSI R9 280X GAMING 3G mit MANTLE und Gaming Evolved Client, 3GB DDR5
    ready for dispatch

233,07 €

233,07 €
    Article No. HV203E41DE
    Antec One, ATX, ohne Netzteil
    available

45,83 €

45,83 €
    Article No. HV12CZSLDE
    Crucial SSD 120GB BX100
    ready for dispatch

61,89 €

61,89 €
    notice basket

Clear your basket

Factoring amounts at a glance
    amount 766,01 € + Shipping costs + 6,99 € = credit amount 773,00 €

The Intel chip uses less power,

If he wants tell him to drop the ssd and stick a gtx 970 in there. Uses less power and he be gaming on ultra.

Thanks DS, thats very helpful and much appreciated. :)

Sorry for bothering you guys but its just that neither myself or the son know much about these things.

Kinda impressed at how similar we all got it :L

Nearly missed your post there SterlingArcher as I was typing a reply.

Good detailed listing and again thanks a million. All that makes life a lot easier.

muffler wrote: »
    Nearly missed your post there SterlingArcher as I was typing a reply.

Good detailed listing and again thanks a million. All that makes life a lot easier.

Personally

Get the nanoxia case in digitals build,. Its cool and above all quiet. Which is good for you, as last thing you want is to hear it running. Should still be under 800.

Sorry to bother you guys again but is there any great difference between this graphics card and the ones previously mentioned? Its a good bit cheaper and to an amateur like myself it looks good but Im only guessing really.

• Advertisement

Bit of a difference, wouldn't pick a VTX card anyways. If he's looking to cut a few euro get the 960 Xenorin(?) mentioned, wouldn't recommend lower for the budget.

A 280 would be grand, but for €20 more a 960 is worth the upgrade

Xenorornrninrornrorin

Guys, just a quick question on ordering from that German site. Is there any bother with customs and / or the extra VAT rate? Amazon for example add 2% extra VAT when delivering to here and I see that the German VAT rate is 18% so is there anything extra added at ordering stage or do you just take a chance that the customs wont intercept the order?

I've been pricing around a couple of places for the dearer elements of the build and if its any help to anyone else I was able to get this graphics card from Amazon for €214.32 which was a wee saving. In fairness that was delivered to a friends address in N.I. so I saved the 2% in the VAT rate. It was £151.93 when I ordered it but it has gone up a bit since.

I use this website to get email alerts when the Amazon prices drop.

Not worth it, same price as MSI 960 which is a better card.

The price listed is what you pay AFAIK, don't think there's a VAT change.

There isn't any customs because its from inside the EU.

Not worth it, same price as MSI 960 which is a better card.
    Eh? This is the same card that you listed earlier in the thread and at a dearer price :confused:

That's a 280, I listed 280X, which is the next card up

That's a 280, I listed 280X, which is the next card up
    Well I have it now so is there any great difference in them?

10-15% maybe. Depends how tight you are for budget but generally there are better places to make cuts than the GPU

10-15% maybe. Depends how tight you are for budget but generally there are better places to make cuts than the GPU
    I was just querying the performance of both cards. Is that what you were saying would be a 10-15% difference or was that in relation to the price?

Id appreciate any other suggestions you may have for cutting back a wee bit on other components so as to stick within the budget. As I said the graphics card is bought now but the young lad is trying to keep as close to €700 as possible.

• Advertisement

Thats straight performance, worth it for the price difference but you won't miss it for now anyways.

Budgets are supposed to go up not down :pac: The Antec One in Sterlings build instead of the Nanoxia DS3 should bring it down another 25, along with the 280 should have it about 690 if I'm right?

Advertisement