Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy PC parts onlinr?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,034 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Finally getting round to ordering some more parts for the young lad. But just a quick question on something else if any of you can help with.

Where's the best place to buy a copy of windows? I assume it will be windows 8.1 thats required.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Download links on the right, message the guy asking for a key and wait for him to get back to you

http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/2zmufy/hwindows_788181_noffice_20102013all_other/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Xenoronin wrote: »
    The SSD isn't really necessary (but damn if it isn't after using one).
    The 120GB will fit Windows7, BF4 and all it's DLCs, and a few apps.

BF4 is better on an SSD, as level load times are a lot less, imo.

Just ordering from that German site and the delivery cost shot up from €5.99 in the basket to €11.99 at checkout and the only option to pay is by PayPal which adds an addition €16.14 to the cost.

Do you guys have to pay this or am I doing something wrong?

Oh, one other thing - any recommendations for a reasonable cheap monitor. Thanks

• Advertisement

German shipping is €7, EU is €12 so you're good there, and PayPal adds 3% with them

BenQ 2450 is €120 or so

German shipping is €7, EU is €12 so you're good there, and PayPal adds 3% with them

BenQ 2450 is €120 or so

Thanks very much, just wondering if there's any place you would recommend getting the monitor from? Will root through a few websites myself later this evening.

Massive thanks also to everyone who has posted in this thread, I appreciate all the help given. :)

Hwvs sell it, I'd say Amazon do too.

Check dabs, elara, PC world and the usual haunts if you'd like to buy Irish

Download links on the right, message the guy asking for a key and wait for him to get back to you

http://www.reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap/comments/2zmufy/hwindows_788181_noffice_20102013all_other/

I sent this man a message last week and I still haven't received a reply.

Would you recommend any other places for a copy of Windows?

Oh by the way, that German crowd where I ordered most of the parts are acting the bollix. The motherboard was listed as being available within 2-3 days but just got an e-mail today (7 days after ordering) stating that they still don't know when it will be available.

I ordered a case which was shown as being in stock, and now they tell me that they don't have it and they won't have it again and to pick a different one.

I'm thinking of replying to their email and asking them if any of the order at all has been shipped, as I'm seriously considering cancelling the whole thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

muffler wrote: »
    Oh by the way, that German crowd where I ordered most of the parts are acting the bollix. The motherboard was listed as being available within 2-3 days but just got an e-mail today (7 days after ordering) stating that they still don't know when it will be available.

I ordered a case which was shown as being in stock, and now they tell me that they don't have it and they won't have it again and to pick a different one.

I'm thinking of replying to their email and asking them if any of the order at all has been shipped, as I'm seriously considering cancelling the whole thing.

None of it will have been shipped. They only ship it all at once when everything is in stock.

Ant695 wrote: »
    None of it will have been shipped. They only ship it all at once when everything is in stock.
    Thanks for that.

I just replied to their email giving them a piece of my mind and also asked them to confirm if any part of the order had been shipped yet. Based on your post above I expect them to say no....thats if they reply at all.

I have screengrabs of the full order for 5 different items before it was confirmed / paid so I was more than happy to express my disappointment knowing that they cant argue with me at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sucr

Gonna order a new GPU from amazon UK tomorrow, would have been a nice bit cheaper to have ordered the same card from hardwareverstand but they lack payment methods. Hopefully their free delivery policy applies to Ireland.

Sucr wrote: »
    Gonna order a new GPU from amazon UK tomorrow, would have been a nice bit cheaper to have ordered the same card from hardwareverstand but they lack payment methods. Hopefully their free delivery policy applies to Ireland.

If you want free delivery to ireland use parcel motel. Otherwise it will be quite steep and often with electronic items they won't ship direct anyways.

The cost of a GPU will certainly qualify the order for free delivery from Amazon. However 2 things to watch out for...

1. Amazon deliver most items here (free if over £25) but their marketplace sellers may not do the same and could charge quite a bit for delivery. Some of the marketplace sellers wont deliver here but that will show up on the order page. If the order is "fulfilled by Amazon" then the same terms apply for free delivery.

2. The order will cost an additional 2% extra to make up the difference between the VAT rates.

So if you use parcel motel you have to work out whether thats cheaper or if its cheaper to pay an additional 2% in the sterling charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Sucr

Checked it out, its free delivery to my door, I noticed a slight difference between the basket price and the payment confirmation price, guessing it was the 2% vat thing you mentioned, sly of them not to point that out though!

Good to know. Didn't realise the free delivery applied to Ireland as well.

Just a wee bump on this. As I posted earlier I never heard back from yer man. Any other places that you know of or could recommend?

Just a wee bump on this. As I posted earlier I never heard back from yer man. Any other places that you know of or could recommend?

That's the only spot that does this afaik, have you tried other sellers there?

Im cancelling the order with those shower of numpties in Germany. Emailed them on Monday, faxed them on Tuesday and not as much as dicky bird since. I dont know how you guys get on with them but I certainly could never recommend them.

Anyhow I'm back to one of my very first questions in this thread. Apart from hardwareversand.de what other retailers can you recommend?

Many thanks

• Advertisement

That's the only spot that does this afaik, have you tried other sellers there?
    Would they be trustworthy?

Amazon are generally fairly good, you should be able to come close to reasonably close to the budget with them. If not I'll try help you bring it down another bit.

There's a seller called s5ean that someone had luck with this week. I'm sure most would be fine there, I used Mrjeffy for my keys which is why I link him, nothing special about him but that I had a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Im cancelling the order with those shower of numpties in Germany. Emailed them on Monday, faxed them on Tuesday and not as much as dicky bird since. I dont know how you guys get on with them but I certainly could never recommend them.

I'm very lucky i made my first order with them when I did a few weeks ago as it all seems to be gone tits up a week or so after. I don't think I'll be bothering with them again when I get my GPU which is a pity

Amazon are generally fairly good, you should be able to come close to reasonably close to the budget with them. If not I'll try help you bring it down another bit.
    The exchange rate at the moment is a real shocker. Basically whatever the UK price is on any item you can add 50% on top of that to get the Euro price. I have ordered a few bits and bobs from Amazon already including the graphics card and the RAM but I'll post up a screen grab of the remaining parts that were ordered from the German site but are still outstanding. I would really, really appreciate any help with this now as the young lad has sorta gone over his budget...on paper anyhow.

There's a seller called s5ean that someone had luck with this week. I'm sure most would be fine there, I used Mrjeffy for my keys which is why I link him, nothing special about him but that I had a link.
    Thanks. I'll have a root around there again and see who takes Paypal as it looks to be the safest bet.

Post it up there with the remaining budget and what it currently stands at anyways

This is the remainder of the build which was in the order that I have now cancelled. It was kicking in at a final price of €565.31 but we are trying to save a bit now if its possible.

http://imgur.com/9Y8cdGG

So far we have this

RAM
    DVD writer
    Mouse
    Graphics card
    Also got a 21.5" monitor but havent a link handy for that

Where did the 8370 come from?

Changing it to an i3 4160, with the PC Mate boar SterlingArcher listed should drop over €100

Drop PSU to a 450w to knock off €30-40

Can go for a cheaper case like a BitFenix to save another €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

This is the remainder of the build which was in the order that I have now cancelled. It was kicking in at a final price of €565.31 but we are trying to save a bit now if its possible.

http://imgur.com/9Y8cdGG

So far we have this

RAM
    DVD writer
    Mouse
    Graphics card
    Also got a 21.5" monitor but havent a link handy for that
    You could try pixmania also. Tbh your damned either way, strong sterling with the UK suppliers means they are more expensive, and delays with freight from the continent with the others (I'm presuming this is partially responsible for the problems with hwsd at the moment) due to the strike and illegals trying to get onto trucks etc.

Where did the 8370 come from?
    That was a mate of his who said it was much better than the intel one. But Im sure he will be happy enough to change now as the budget is over-stretched.

Changing it to an i3 4160, with the PC Mate boar SterlingArcher listed should drop over €100
    I'll get him to look at that again, thanks. The highlighted part I dont understand???

Drop PSU to a 450w to knock off €30-40
    His mate told him that it would need 750w min to power the graphics card. No idea if thats right or wrong.

Can go for a cheaper case like a BitFenix to save another €50.
    He's not fussy about the case. Any type would do so long as it holds the various parts. If I google "BitFenix" would that be enough to find it or are there different types/sizes of cases or what would you recommend?

• Advertisement

His mate is wrong, Intel for gaming builds 9 times out of 10. The i5 that was recommended would be better if it fits the budget.

In SterlingArchers post on page two he lists a PC Mate motherboard, I don't know the exact model number of it but it's there.

750w for a cheap-ass PSU, any 450w Corsair or BeQuiet won't have any struggles with this build.

Again, I don't know the exact models for BitFenix cases, search them on Amazon and have a look at a few at the price range! Antec One is another case for that budget that's good.

Advertisement