Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The random stuff thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

I'm not sure who you worked with, but have you any idea how many reps SSN has been through?

I can only speak for ourselves. Our guy was perfectly happy to do business with them, not something that can be universally said.

Do you want to elaborate?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Stone Brewing's dream of revolutionising German beer is over. They've sold the Berlin brewery to BrewDog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

Whiplash appears to have moved breweries

DiaXgbG.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Didn't they have a falling out with the last brewery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Didn't they have a falling out with the last brewery?

That's one way to put it.

They were turfed out of Larkin's because their brewer was being a d*ckhead was the more accurate description.

As an aside, same Brewer when he left his last job they released a beer called Miami J. Google Miami J and see what it's used to fix :pac:

Whiplash are bringing the Copenhagen Beer Celebration model of festival to Dublin. Mansion House, 13th July, two sessions, €70, all you can drink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Sounds like a challenge :cool:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

BeerNut wrote: »
    Whiplash are bringing the Copenhagen Beer Celebration model of festival to Dublin. Mansion House, 13th July, two sessions, €70, all you can drink.

Thats gonna be messy....

I'll be avoiding that like the plague anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭s3rtvdbwfj81ch

I'll be avoiding that like the plague anyway.

aw diddums did the bwad man no bwad things

aw diddums did the bwad man no bwad things

I'll be avoiding it because it will be full of drunk eejits who think they have to "get their money's worth" within 90 minutes of either session opening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

I'll be avoiding it because it will be full of drunk eejits who think they have to "get their money's worth" within 90 minutes of either session opening.

I'd really like to go but its fair pricey for 4 hours drinking. That's about 4 drinks for me in normal circumstances. I could definitely see myself being one of those drunk eejits trying to get my money's worth :D

Theres so many breweries who'll be at it that aren't usually available at Irish festivals obviously, but how many could you really manage to sample in 4 hours If having 1/3's, say??

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    I'd really like to go but its fair pricey for 4 hours drinking. That's about 4 drinks for me in normal circumstances. I could definitely see myself being one of those drunk eejits trying to get my money's worth :D

Theres so many breweries who'll be at it that aren't usually available at Irish festivals obviously, but how many could you really manage to sample in 4 hours If having 1/3's, say??

There'll be lads downing 25cl measures of high abv DIPAs and barrel aged stouts every 15-20 minutes trying to tick as many off Untappd as possible. Messy, messy, messy.

There'll be lads downing 25cl measures of high abv DIPAs and barrel aged stouts every 15-20 minutes trying to tick as many off Untappd as possible.
    When you don't pay per beer there's no need to drink the whole glass (and I doubt the serves will be as large as 25cl or third-pints). If maximum ticking is the goal, you sip, tick and drainpour. I saw several people doing this at Beavertown Extravaganza.

BeerNut wrote: »
    When you don't pay per beer there's no need to drink the whole glass (and I doubt the serves will be as large as 25cl or third-pints). If maximum ticking is the goal, you sip, tick and drainpour. I saw several people doing this at Beavertown Extravaganza.

You have more faith in recreational alcoholics than I do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Could you tag team with someone else and go halves on ticket? What's to stop Person A going for afternoon and Person B on same ticket going in evening?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Could you tag team with someone else and go halves on ticket? What's to stop Person A going for afternoon and Person B on same ticket going in evening?

Two diff tickets I thought. 70 per session, no?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Yep. I mean obvs, roight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

hetuzozaho wrote: »

Yikes... you are right. My mistake - thought it was that price for an all weekend ticket.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Might fly back if they need any volunteers. Wonder what the pours and numbers are. Cloudwater one was the best I've done. Hop city in 2 weeks. The format is the best imo.

• Advertisement

RasTa wrote: »
    volunteers
    Tough one to manage when there's only two sessions on one day. You probably don't want people who drank their way through session one getting behind the bar for session two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where's the licence coming from for the temp extension? That'll decide whether I want to go :pac:

L1011 wrote: »
    Where's the licence coming from for the temp extension? That'll decide whether I want to go :pac:

the Republic doesn't work like the North. It's not a licence transferred from a public house, it's the mansion house's own licence used to facilitate the event.

The Mansion House hasn't got a pub licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Dellboy54

The Mansion House hasn't got a pub licence.

This lad would beg to differ :D

https://www.thejournal.ie/nial-ring-pints-dry-4505940-Feb2019/

He lives there, that's just a gaff party!

Pretty sure Fire has one

Pretty sure Fire has one

Not unless it's got one so recently it's not on Revenues lists.

They ain't selling beer

RasTa wrote: »
    They ain't selling beer

Fairly certain that that excuse doesn't wash including precedent from when it was attempted. Sale or supply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

The Big Romance can apply for an Occasional Licence to cover the Mansion House.

I'm not sure one is needed though, as beer isn't being sold. It's possible to go the route private clubs do... the ticket buys membership, and only members get given beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I'm sure they have it under control anyway :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I was at a Heineken event there with no paid bar so there's definitely some licence allowing these kind of events.

Giving away booze entirely and effectively charging for it via a back door are different things. The latter needs a licence no matter how innovative you think you are; and I'd be fairly certain they have one arranged anyway.

What type of license though? If this place isn't a pub

same kind of thing as was needed for the RDS for the festivals there, the pub across the road extended it's licence into the hall for that event afaik.

same kind of thing as was needed for the RDS for the festivals there, the pub across the road extended it's licence into the hall for that event afaik.
    No, the RDS has its own licence as a stadium. The arrangement with Madigan's must have been purely a commercial one.

The Septemberfest in Phoenix Park which ran in 2008 and 2009 used a licence extension from The Porterhouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Lads, do yous reckon that beer festival thingy will be on in Weston airport this year? It was a great day last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

emo72 wrote: »
    Lads, do yous reckon that beer festival thingy will be on in Weston airport this year? It was a great day last year.

It was organised by Brewdog, so possibly not if they have their own bar up and running. It would really depend on numbers I suppose.

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »

No, the Brewdog employee that was the brainchild of has since left the company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Well that sucks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

That's one way to put it.

They were turfed out of Larkin's because their brewer was being a d*ckhead was the more accurate description.

As an aside, same Brewer when he left his last job they released a beer called Miami J. Google Miami J and see what it's used to fix :pac:

Sounds to me like being turfed out was the actual ddckhead move in this scenario but ok

snowblind wrote: »
    Sounds to me like being turfed out was the actual ddckhead move in this scenario but ok

Not really. When you are such a d*ck to the staff at the premisis you are a guest in and force the owners to kick you out, it's definirely you that's the di*khead, not the team of people who tried to accomodate you for months until they eventually snapped. But sure look everyone's out of line except my boy Alejandro.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Not really. When you are such a d*ck to the staff at the premisis you are a guest in and force the owners to kick you out, it's definirely you that's the di*khead, not the team of people who tried to accomodate you for months until they eventually snapped. But sure look everyone's out of line except my boy Alejandro.
    Those are pretty harsh claims. I guess that is one side of the story. Calling people dccheads online over private discussions is a bit questionable stuff. Very unlikely that he “forced” them to kick them out, what does that even mean? Jeopardizing your own business due to intentionally getting kicked out, doesn’t sound very convincing to me?

Larkins own beers would not be on the level they are without that guy. They could def use some similar help with branding...

Boston Beer Company (Sam Adams) and Dogfish Head have just announced they are to merge.

https://www.brewbound.com/news/boston-beer-company-and-dogfish-head-agree-to-merge-in-300-million-deal

• Advertisement

If anyone's at a loose end in Dublin this evening, there are still free tickets for this tasting event in Temple Bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Finally made it to the Underdog on Dame St last night. Great bar...Sound bar man and a deadly selection of beers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

RonanC wrote: »
    Whiplash appears to have moved breweries

DiaXgbG.jpg

And they've moved again.

hyBTPRw.jpg

Anyone know anywhere in Santiago de Compostela or Vigo? Over for the week between the two, Google is extra useless here - doesn't even have half the buses so don't expect it has all the bars

Anyone know anywhere in Santiago de Compostela or Vigo? Over for the week between the two, Google is extra useless here - doesn't even have half the buses so don't expect it has all the bars

I find in those sort of places Untappd can be a great help. Search for nearby checkins and see if people have tagged the bars they're drinking in.

Few places to be found by searching on the Untappd website too. See here.

• Advertisement
Advertisement