Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year choices..HELP

• 05-05-2015 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My subjects for 5th year are
    Maths
    English
    Irish
    Spanish
    Music
    Biology
    And I think Geography

I'm really undecided whether to do geography or not and could really do with some advice. Is geography a good subject to take?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I do Biology and Geography. Both subjects are very factual, and if you can learn names, diagrams and functions - then you'd do fine.

They both contain very compact and broad courses, with a lot of material to learn. Geography follows a very similar structure to JC History in my opinion. You write down the facts in a logical order, and explain them/relate them to the question. There is a lot of writing to do for the geography exam, so make sure you can think fast.

I'm enjoying geography, as it all relates to the world we live in now. Although, I know plenty of people who hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Consonata

Only take music if you can play an instrument to a substantial level if you are after points. 50% practical means a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 ShaneCliff

Biology is a difficult course, that being said I love it and am hoping to go study it further in September. You need to know your definitions for everything really well, your teacher must be able to summarise the book well or you will struggle desperately to get the course finished before the LC. It's easy enough to get high grades as every year is just constant repetition. It's all down to you doing exam papers, exam papers, exam papers... That's the key.
    I don't do Geo or Music, so I can't comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Cian1997

In 5th year at the moment and currently do geography. In my experience I find it to be similar to history as in a lot of it is learning long essays off. Has some interesting parts to the course and it doesn't seem to be a difficult subjetpct to do decent in unlike physics chemistry etc

Advertisement