Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ISIS vs The IRA ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Reoil wrote: »
    I've never heard of an IRA member blowing themselves up for their cause...
    Any sort of pothole, ramp, etc = baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.
    The fight would have to take place in Ireland.
    The CIA would then become involved, and suddenly every ex-IRA member will be given guns and bombs from dear old Uncle Sam.
    They couldn't stop the IRA. Good always triumphs over evil.
    But neither side was good. Both sides were evil, fought dirty, killed civilians, and executed their own without a second thought.
    They shouldn't have been trying to stop us because they shouldn't have come here in the first place.
    They were invited over, and when they found that there wasn't anyone that could tell them to leave, they stayed.
    The British caused the Potato Famine.
    This is true. I do wonder how many Irish profited from it, however?
    If I ever get my hands on a time machine, a big ass gun and a vast quantity of bullets, I know where I'm going.
    You'll die when you get there, as the butterfly effect will mean you never get born.
    Doubt they would have the stomach for a fight among equals
    Only a fool fights a fair fight, for the other side fair equals they have the upper hand.
    Oh I'm sorry if you've never heard of the Black and Tans.

The very same people who went around burning people's houses down and killing people (and because your ageist, children too) who had nothing to do with the IRA. And they did it every time a little bit of resistance was shown to British rule.
    The IRA did this as well.
    The IRA fought for a Republic, they got it.
    The IRB fought for the Republic, and got it. The IRA got jack sh|t.
    The country belonged to the Irish and the English randomly came in.
    They were invited over.
    I find it ridiculous that when someone says "Northern Ireland" they're referring to a different country. UNITED IRELAND!
    Lets see. Different ruler, different laws, different currency. Yup, another country.
    but they did win against the BA. they killed more BA fighters then BA killed IRA. they stopped the BA slaughtering by force. that to me is a win
    And the IRA killed more of it's own than anyone else. Your point?
    I am about to rage. I cannot see how the British won. They are at wrong here.
    Right or wrong doesn't win. Whoever stays is generally the winner. The brits stayed.
    They had no right to come to Ireland and take it for themselves.
    They were invited over, saw nothing to oppose them, and stayed.
    The IRA fought for our republic, if they never did what they did we'd be surrounded by people with fruitcake accents and caaaas with yellow plates.
    The IRA you seem to like wasn't around then.
    ISIS, who effectively were born out of the Taliban, were freedom fighters. Also weren't the IRA pushing their strict religious Catholic beliefs?
    Pretty sure ISIS came about from one of Saddams spymasters?
    I know several guys who served in NI and they hated the loyalists as much as they hated the IRA. In fact, they just hated Northern Ireland in general.
    Both sides were terrorists. Although some loyalists may have gotten arms from British Intelligence, I doubt it was nothing more than a means to an end for a short term plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

https://www.irelandcalling.ie/history-norman-and-british-invasion
    In 1166, the new High King of Ireland, Rory O’Connor, ousted Dermot MacMurrough as the King of Leinster.

MacMurrough asked Henry II of England for permission to recruit Norman knights to help reclaim his throne. The permission was granted and Norman troops landed in 1167.

After his reinstatement, MacMurrough arranged for his daughter Aiofe to marry the Norman Richard de Clare, Earl of Pembroke – more commonly known as Strongbow.

This alarmed Henry who feared that Strongbow would become too powerful. To prevent this he invaded Ireland in 1171 in order to suppress the country and establish his rule.

After a successful campaign, Henry awarded his newly won Irish territories to his son John, under the title Lord of Ireland.

It was the beginning of nearly 900 years of British rule in Ireland.
    Invited in, never left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

ISIS, who effectively were born out of the Taliban, were freedom fighters. Also weren't the IRA pushing their strict religious Catholic beliefs?

Wtf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    What, all of them? I largely agree with your post but this part isn't true.

Just most of them

LordSutch wrote: »
    Thing is though, you can't really compare a professional sophisticated world class army, to an embedded terrorist movement who hide among the community like ticks! I also doubt that such a professional army would be unto knives as say ISIS or the IRA.

These would be the people who ran torture camps in Kenya where womens breasts were ripped open, men dragged behind jeeps till dead etc, torture in Cyprus, Aden etc, all to maintain racist Imperialist regimes.....?

• Advertisement

Never once have I seen ye disagree with a sweeping generalisation as regards Republicans. Yet.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

If you were found guilty in a Kangaroo court, you could expect to be sentenced to strict Catholicism for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

If ISIS v IRA ended in a draw would there be a shoot-out to decide the winner ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

ISIS v IRA is like Barcelona V Shelbourne Ladies.
    IRA wouldn't have a snowflakes chance in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

'Loyalist paramilitaries' I should have said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

I can't believe an actual serious debate is taking place about such nonsense.

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

the_syco wrote: »
    Invited in, never left.

Just like they were invited into Australia, India, New Zealand, Pakistan, Yemen, America etc etc?

I can't believe an actual serious debate is taking place about such nonsense.

Considering they actually made that "Taleban vs IRA" programme in the states and similar nonsense, I'm surprised you're surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Nodin wrote: »
    I'm surprised you're surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭con___manx1

The IRA got a bomb in the same building as a former priminister . doubt issis would have the brains t carry out an attack like that. I don't support the IRA but if they had of blown that iron lady up I would have been happy

• Site Banned Posts: 217 ✭✭Father Ted Crilly

Come on, Ireland is so much better than England. England is full of weirdos. Must I mention Jimmy Savile? Too late.

The IRA got a bomb in the same building as a former priminister . doubt issis would have the brains t carry out an attack like that. I don't support the IRA but if they had of blown that iron lady up I would have been happy

So would large numbers of British people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Come on, Ireland is so much better than England. England is full of weirdos. Must I mention Jimmy Savile? Too late.
    Troll somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Whatever you say......Father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

My shower a' bastards can beat up your shower a' bastards. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I would hope the IRA!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Theres an estimated number of between 50,000-250,000 ISIS fighters. Theres somewhere between 1,000-10,000 IRA members.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

All of the countries of the world should join together and when another country starts some mad religious army like ISIS we should all annihilate them. It would work the same way as the death penalty in America. It would be the best way to prevent terrorism.
    I have an ever better solution but I don't want to be seen as sadistic so I'll leave it for when I become president of the world.

I am sick of hearing about "ISIS this, ISIS that." Sometimes I wonder what the hell is wrong with people.

They already have one of them armies & it's called NATO & it's a prime reason why ISIS exists.

The best way to prevent terrorism is to stop invading other peoples countries & stop oppressing people, then the oppressed won't feel the need to rebel. But preventing terrorism isn't a very high priority for the worlds most powerful governments for all the reasons Chmosky mentions.

England certainly isn't full of weirdo's. It was brave Englishmen like Ken Livingstone & Tony Benn who risked their lives & talked to the leadership of the Republican movement to help bring about a just solution to the conflict that everyone could live with. Sinn Fein definitely wouldn't be the political force they are now without the help of the left in Britain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Its not a comparison you could really make.As regards firepower the ra wouldn't stand a chance,but if the odds were evened in both numbers and weaponry,the IRA would destroy them.The thing is,any Ira vol on active service is a trained,disciplined and experienced soldier,ISIS on the other hand swell the ranks with terrified teenagers that will shoot all around themselves if a seagull drops a sh1te nearby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Its not a comparison you could really make.As regards firepower the ra wouldn't stand a chance,but if the odds were evened in both numbers and weaponry,the IRA would destroy them.The thing is,any Ira vol on active service is a trained,disciplined and experienced soldier,ISIS on the other hand swell the ranks with terrified teenagers that will shoot all around themselves if a seagull drops a sh1te nearby
    It's hard for me to say this but the average dissident republican isn't as fúcked in the head as the average jihadist.

The Northern Irish guys would be like "nope, fúck this ****" when the crucifixions start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭RomanKnows

I'd always recommend a book called The Lost Revolution: The Story of the Official IRA and the Workers Party by Brian Hanley and Scott Millar when trying to objectively analyse what lead to the creation of the provisional IRA.

Its been criticised by Eoin Harris and Gerry Adams as being revisionist. So I'd recommend it to all of us who are non-partisan to any blinding ideology involved in the 'Troubles'.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Troll somewhere else.

Don't accuse other posters of trolling, report them and posts you've an issue with

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

I am 1000000000000.34203% sure that we should have a United Ireland. Some Northerners say they're British. I say, **** off home then.

A United Ireland would definitely reduce the amount of violence caused by the IRA. I find it ridiculous to say that. We shouldn't need to have phrases like "United Ireland". Those Brits ruined the country.

You haven't a fcking clue have you?......ever given thought to the fact that northern Ireland is now a separate entity to both the republic and the UK?

It's a separate country in evolution ATM, you must be about 20 yrs old or just a thick tbh.....

Anyways, this is after hours. So bend right over and suck your own ball's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭GaryTLynch

Fr. Ted Crilly,
    Could you please summarise the events that led to the outbreak of the Troubles, the war that ensued and the eventual signing of the Good Friday Agreement (as YOU see it).

This should be good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

We can all agree that England is messed up. They attack you then promise to leave you alone if you give them part of your country.

The British are evil. The IRA fought for a Republic, they got it. It doesn't make any sense. They weren't playing a game of chess. They were fighting over a country. The country belonged to the Irish and the English randomly came in. I find it ridiculous that when someone says "Northern Ireland" they're referring to a different country. UNITED IRELAND!

Are you for fcking real?have you no concept of why the civil war happened?
    You really are a cnut(stupid,thick,dopey)take you're pick.idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Are you for fcking real?have you no concept of why the civil war happened?
    You really are a cnut(stupid,thick,dopey)take you're pick.idiot.

.....and people in glass houses shouldn't through stones. The Civil War was fought over the oath of allegiance and the South's status as a dominion rather than a republic. It wasn't about Northern Ireland.

northern Ireland is now a separate entity to both the republic and the UK?

Northern Ireland is part of the UK. The official name of our near neighbours is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Scotland and Wales also have their own parliaments and are also still part of the UK

You haven't a fcking clue have you?......ever given thought to the fact that northern Ireland is now a separate entity to both the republic and the UK?

It's a separate country in evolution ATM, you must be about 20 yrs old or just a thick tbh.....

Anyways, this is after hours. So bend right over and suck your own ball's.

Wow, you actually managed to talk more sh!te than the person your quoting. I didn't think that was possible because the first quote was so mad.

GaryTLynch wrote: »
    Fr. Ted Crilly,
    Could you please summarise the events that led to the outbreak of the Troubles, the war that ensued and the eventual signing of the Good Friday Agreement (as YOU see it).

This should be good.

Starting with "dem Brits was allus evil" and right up to "Warrington was for de Black an Tans".

.....and people in glass houses shouldn't through stones. The Civil War was fought over the oath of allegiance and the South's status as a dominion rather than a republic. It wasn't about Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland is part of the UK. The official name of our near neighbours is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Scotland and Wales also have their own parliaments and are also still part of the UK

As f*cked up as the North is atleast they don't have to live with the never ending nightmare of being governed by Fine Gail & Finna Fail your whole existence, it's worse than be being governed by Tories

• Advertisement

Starting with "dem Brits was allus evil" and right up to "Warrington was for de Black an Tans".

It started with a kiss.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

when it comes to institutional child abuse Ireland wins hands down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

AnnaStezia wrote: »
    If ISIS v IRA ended in a draw would there be a shoot-out to decide the winner ?

The victors of that shoot out should then have to fight 'Boko Haram' in the hot African jungle to decide the 'ultimate bas ass terrorists'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Too soon :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

The victors of that shoot out should then have to fight 'Boko Haram' in the hot African jungle to decide the 'ultimate bas ass terrorists'.

Yeah jungles of Nigeria? where the British killed and murdered thousands to establish a colony and gut Nigeria of its natural resources ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Can we not all just agree that it is OK for our preferred group to be mass murderers, because everybody's doing it? Where's the harm?

smurgen wrote: »
    Yeah jungles of Nigeria? where the British killed and murdered thousands to establish a colony and gut Nigeria of its natural resources ?

You might well put a questionmark after your waffle, anyway (what the British did or didn't do, a hundred years ago is neither here nor there) in this fight to the death between Boko Harm and the winner of the ISIS Vs PIRA Terror match. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

How did it end up like this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭LDN_Irish

As f*cked up as the North is atleast they don't have to live with the never ending nightmare of being governed by Fine Gail & Finna Fail your whole existence, it's worse than be being governed by Tories

I take FF/FG for eternity over the DUP. They are right up there with the most bonkers parties in Europe. They make UKIP look centrist.

smurgen wrote: »

Yep, Where all those immigrants come from who get free houses, taxis and an endless supply of pushchairs to leave at bus stops.

You might well put a questionmark after your waffle, anyway (what the British did or didn't do, a hundred years ago is neither here nor there) in this fight to the death between Boko Harm and the winner of the ISIS Vs PIRA Terror match. :D

The 1950's are not 100 years ago, unless I've been buying out of date calendars lately.

The 1950's are not 100 years ago, unless I've been buying out of date calendars lately.

Aren't we supposed to be moving on Nodin?

Oh yeah, that's only when it comes to Gerry's past activities. otherwise it's a good bit of deflection for when the IRA are getting a bit of a bashing.

Aren't we supposed to be moving on Nodin?

Oh yeah, that's only when it comes to Gerry's past activities. otherwise it's a good bit of deflection for when the IRA are getting a bit of a bashing.

There's moving on, and there's saying something happened "centuries ago" when it was happening midway through the 20th century. When I refer to Gerry as Adams of the Clan McAdams, hero of the 11th century cattle raid of the lower falls road, you can get onto me.

There's moving on, and there's saying something happened "centuries ago" when it was happening midway through the 20th century. When I refer to Gerry as Adams of the Clan McAdams, hero of the 11th century cattle raid of the lower falls road, you can get onto me.

Now that 'the bearded one' has been introduced into the ISIS Vs IRA face off, let's discuss his contribution to such a confrontation. No doubt Adams would not be directly involved in the fracas seeing as he was never in the PIRA, therefore he probably wouldn't have the slightest idea how to point and fire a Kalashnikov, so maybe a role as book keeper or negotiator might suit him better? Failing that, what about him being a double agent in ISIS? With that lovely old beard of his, I guess he could blend right into either ISIS or the Taliban for a spell.

Not sure Adams would blend into the ranks of Book Harem very convincingly though.

Now that 'the bearded one' has been introduced into the ISIS Vs IRA face off, let's discuss his contribution to such a confrontation. No doubt Adams would not be directly involved in the fracas seeing as he was never in the PIRA, therefore he probably wouldn't have the slightest idea how to point and fire a Kalashnikov, so maybe a role as book keeper or negotiator might suit him better? Failing that, what about him being a double agent in ISIS? With that lovely old beard of his, I guess he could blend right into either ISIS or the Taliban for a spell.

Not sure Adams would blend into the ranks of Book Harem very convincingly though.

Neither would James Bond.

Having links with the Palestinians and ANC means many things might be accomplished, though as you point out The Bearded One himself would not obviously be directly involved.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement