Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Area Thread

• 06-05-2015 12:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭

In an effort to make information accessible as easily as possible ahead of (hopefully) better weather and some serious fishing starting in earnest, it has been decided to try out some area specific threads.

This thread is designed to hold discussion of Connacht waters be they lakes, canals, rivers etc. The aim is to have this thread, and the other area threads be the go to place for updated information on spots around the country.

Most won't want to share too much information about certain areas which is entirely understandable and what the aim of these threads will be is more so to provide practical information "Is this lake still fishable?","Have the access rights to this river changed?", "Any sign of X fly?". And so on.

Feel free to use these threads to post reports on recent trips to waters within the region too, the more pro tips the better .

Of course, usual forum charter rules apply.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Anyone know if the Dunkellin river is open this year? It was closed late last year in order to restock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Dunkellin is closed again this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Are the mayfly up on Lough Corrib yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

I herd they where... Any news on mayfly in any for the rivers? Not been up to local river in a week, But hopefully from a trout perspective we'l have a good bit of dry weather as the river is awful high atm..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭decdon

So on which side does lough Ree posts go on.....!!!!!
    This therad or the Leinster one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

decdon wrote: »
    So on which side does lough Ree posts go on.....!!!!!
    This therad or the Leinster one?

Same problem as Sheelin...there's more of the lake in Leinster and it sits in two Leinster provinces enough to put it into the Leinster thread? Unless there's any objections :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭sniper83

Any fish on the clare yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

plan on fishing lower corrib this week end..... i will update with any results good or bad. any one heard anything... lol loads of questions ion this thread no answers yet....:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Corrib fishing well. Plenty caught today in Oughterard competition despite torrential rain and wind. I fished for a couple of hours yesterday evening and had 3 fish for about 6lbs (all released). Lads dapping in boat beside me were cleaning up. Not sure how lower lake is fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Mayfly are definitely up in the Oughterard area and fish are taking them on the surface but there are still plenty of Olives hatching too.

I was fishing yesterday and was dapping mostly. Caught one small fish and missed quite a few others. Heard similar reports of fish stripping the flies without being hooked but also plenty of fish being caught too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭rpmcmurphy

Anyone on lough arrow yet? Any fly up?

Took home my first keeper of the year from Corrib last night. Was stuffed full of what looked like hog louse, fresh water shrimp or something like that and some Mayfly. Was surprised it appeared to still be feeding off the bottom with so many mayfly about but it obviously looked up at some point to take my flies.

Caribs wrote: »
    Took home my first keeper of the year from Corrib last night. Was stuffed full of what looked like hog louse, fresh water shrimp or something like that and some Mayfly. Was surprised it appeared to still be feeding off the bottom with so many mayfly about but it obviously looked up at some point to take my flies.

It's Asellus, and not the first report I've heard of that recently. Might be why we're not seeing too many fish at the surface... and why the buzzer men have been doing so well.

Zzippy wrote: »
    It's Asellus, and not the first report I've heard of that recently. Might be why we're not seeing too many fish at the surface... and why the buzzer men have been doing so well.

Thanks Zzippy - are the Asellus purely on the bottom or do they swim up in the layers?

Stick close to the bottom as far as I know

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

Okay ... fished lower corrib today.. saw one natural mayfly on lake.. lol... big wave through channels. Fished team of two Partridge wet mayflys on fluorocarbon. Caught three fish to approx 5lbs.. kept one.. no sign of any fly life on water... only saw one other boat on lower lake.

Any sign of flies on the Clare?

Okay ... fished lower corrib today.. saw one natural mayfly on lake.. lol... big wave through channels. Fished team of two Partridge wet mayflys on fluorocarbon. Caught three fish to approx 5lbs.. kept one.. no sign of any fly life on water... only saw one other boat on lower lake.

The lower lakes doesn't really get a big mayfly hatch - mayflies like sandy/silt bottom, while the lower lake is dominated by weedy bottom and gets big hatches of olives and buzzers. Glad you got a few anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 251 ✭✭patspost

Mayfly up on the mask since friday.

Mask fishing good on Sat, lot of fish about, mostly small but nice to bend the rod.
    Lot of boats out near saints on sat
    Good to see fisheries inspector checking fish sizes for those that kept a fish or too.
    Caught 1 on Dap with artificial may fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ClifdenAngler

Any salmon in the connemara rivers yet?

• Advertisement

Sure are from the last few weeks, But nothing now because of the mini drought were having, We need some rain to create a flood then we should be in!.. Delphi was doing ok, Hopefully We'l get a decent flood!

Great to here,catch or just see?

Great to here,catch or just see?

I don't get what your saying there! If your saying did I catch anything no but I've few friends that did fish a while go on some of the Connemara rivers, but if your saying about going now fishing don't it's a waste of money but like there's a tiny chance of getting a fish..

I don't get what your saying there! If your saying did I catch anything no but I've few friends that did fish a while go on some of the Connemara rivers, but if your saying about going now fishing don't it's a waste of money but like there's a tiny chance of getting a fish..
    Sorry I have problems with spelling :') I meant to say Great to hear, did you catch any or see them rising :) just to clear things up :) yeah I was talking to a man today in the tackle shop and he got 3 salmon on lough inagh a few weeks back after a down pour so ill wait for a bit of rain no doubt we'll get some soon anyway 😂

Zzippy wrote: »
    Stick close to the bottom as far as I know

@Zippy, took home a fish yesterday caught in Oughterard Bay area. Checked the stomach contents and was stuffed with the Asellus again. Couldn't see any sign of anything else it was feeding on. Came to a dry daddy long legs so obviously looked up at least once but was surprised to see it as stuffed as it was.

Spring salmon starting to make the move in clifden area seen a few at the bridge today about 11 id say big huge things ill be digging worms tomorrow!

Spring salmon starting to make the move in clifden area seen a few at the bridge today about 11 id say big huge things ill be digging worms tomorrow!

Where did you see them Delphi? I herd that the Connemara fisherys are getting rain so that's pretty good, the grilse are starting to make a run now! Hopefully we'l get a nice bit a rain over the weekend

Where did you see them Delphi? I herd that the Connemara fisherys are getting rain so that's pretty good, the grilse are starting to make a run now! Hopefully we'l get a nice bit a rain over the weekend

I seen them at the waterloo bridge just before clifden the river would be the Owen glin. I got a 9lb 8oz salmon the next day :)

I seen them at the waterloo bridge just before clifden the river would be the Owen glin. I got a 9lb 8oz salmon the next day :)

Yea I do remember that river but it's been I'd say 6 years ago that I've last fished it, still good? It's a pity there isn't any updates on it, what the permit now? Have you caught any sea trout in it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 clonshanny

I hope to stay in Renvyle, Connemara for a week this summer and was wondering if there are any rivers or lakes close by where I could do an hour of Flyfishing the odd evening? I dont want to be paying a fortune or driving too far for a bit of wild brown trout fishing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement