Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Area Thread

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

clonshanny wrote: »
    I hope to stay in Renvyle, Connemara for a week this summer and was wondering if there are any rivers or lakes close by where I could do an hour of Flyfishing the odd evening? I dont want to be paying a fortune or driving too far for a bit of wild brown trout fishing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just have a look at google maps, It's Connemara Plenty of wee lakes to explore! Just have a look if your not allowed to fish it, Some lakes Will have a sign.. looking at google maps there seems to be alot of lakes, Then again Try and ask a Tackle shop or even if your staying in a b&b or a hotel You could get some info, There's Kylemore For salmon, and its free till the First salmon is caught!

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I hope to stay in Renvyle, Connemara for a week this summer and was wondering if there are any rivers or lakes close by where I could do an hour of Flyfishing the odd evening? I dont want to be paying a fortune or driving too far for a bit of wild brown trout fishing.

The hotel in Renvyle has a stocked lake with fish to 5lbs. Clifden Anglers control fishing on a lot of lakes in the area - permits are very reasonable. Call into Stanley's shop in Clifden for info, maps and permits. John there is great for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Caribs

Loads of duck fly around this afternoon on Corrib in the Oughterard Bay area. Had planned to go out and try some buzzer fishing in the light winds so was giving that a go for a while with no success. Then saw fish taking fly off the surface so changed to small black duck fly type patterns but couldn't stir a thing. Was my first day out this season and was great to get out after a long winter.

Good to see all the fish I left out on the lake last year are still there, was plenty of fish around me but couldn't tempt any to take - next time..!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ClifdenAngler

Theres plenty lakes around here you could fish depending on where you're staying let, the amount of waters around here is unbelievable and the fish they hold are twice as good. Getting permits for the loughs in renvyle maybe difficult. Tully lake is a great lake to fish and you probably won't need a permit. Try flies like green peter, connemara black, sooty olive, the standard lough patterns. Tight lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ClifdenAngler

Yea I do remember that river but it's been I'd say 6 years ago that I've last fished it, still good? It's a pity there isn't any updates on it, what the permit now? Have you caught any sea trout in it yet?

Aw it's still a brilliant river huge runs of grilsce with the odd big salmon, there's not many seatrout being caught although there not unheard of, you'll get a permit off Stanleys and he'll sort you out with a few flies too, the falls can work well on the worm during a flood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Went into stanleys alright, It looks like everyone just bunches up at the falls? have you fish above the falls with the fly?

Advertisement