Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Area Thread

• 06-05-2015 12:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭

In an effort to make information accessible as easily as possible ahead of (hopefully) better weather and some serious fishing starting in earnest, it has been decided to try out some area specific threads.

This thread is designed to hold discussion of Munster waters be they lakes, canals, rivers etc. The aim is to have this thread, and the other area threads be the go to place for updated information on spots around the country.

Most won't want to share too much information about certain areas which is entirely understandable and what the aim of these threads will be is more so to provide practical information "Is this lake still fishable?","Have the access rights to this river changed?", "Any sign of X fly?". And so on.

Feel free to use these threads to post reports on recent trips to waters within the region too, the more pro tips the better .

Of course, usual forum charter rules apply.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

There are some great sea trout bring taken on the bandon at the moment. Sea trout reported in a lot of rivers too. I suppose after the rain they may have moved on quickly. Nice to see them up relatively early too.

I have been out for bass on several occasions lately in Kerry, fishing soft plastics. Nothing much doing but I see on Facebook a 15lb bass taken in north Kerry. With the season closing next week I'll be concentrating on seatrout.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭huddlejonny

Been fishing the Lee for brownies the last few weeks. Mainly inniscarra graveyard, anglers rest & lee fields direction. Have to say it's been very quiet even by my standards.

I have mainly been using tackle shop worms which I have my suspicions about. Having only recently gotten back into fishing, I seem to recall far greater success with normal earthworms years ago. Maybe it's just me being rusty.

Alot of the trout that I have seen rising are very small compared to previous years. Even the salmon pools where you'd normally see the bigger fish jumping are quiet. Hopefully the better weather will bring some improvement.

I was speaking to a young lad above the bridge by the anglers rest who claimed his mate pulled 15 trout out of the river the day before using minnow. I was disgusted to hear that. The same young fella that I spoke to, was using minnow in the exact same spot which I thought was a bit stupid, considering the place was cleaned out the day before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I'm heading down to South Tipp today for a few days fishing, been looking forward to this for months. Myself and a few mates are also going to Dunhill Angling Centre tomorrow for a days fishing. Been there once before and had a lot of fun. There are some big rainbows in those lakes, hopefully I can bring one home with me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭ComfortKid

Blondie919 wrote:
    I'm heading down to South Tipp today for a few days fishing, been looking forward to this for months. Myself and a few mates are also going to Dunhill Angling Centre tomorrow for a days fishing. Been there once before and had a lot of fun. There are some big rainbows in those lakes, hopefully I can bring one home with me.

Where abouts in South Tipp did you go. Would love to know how the Suir is fishing now.

ComfortKid wrote: »
    Where abouts in South Tipp did you go. Would love to know how the Suir is fishing now.

I usually fish the Tar and Suir around Clogheen and Ardfinnan. This is my first time down there this year so don't know what it's like yet.

• Advertisement

Is there mayfly hatches around Tipperary or in Munster?

Was out this evening on a local spate river in south kerry for a seatrout. I could feel the water temperature (or lack thereof) through the waders. No fly life and not even a tiddler of a trout. We'll be another couple of weeks before silver is running our rivers me thinks

Does anyone know of any free trout lakes or rivers near Leap or Rosscarbery direction?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Anyone getting sea trout

popsy09 wrote: »
    Anyone getting sea trout

I was out last night on my local river. Fishing the first pool above the tide and not a thing showing. Thought some trout might have moved in with the high tide. Tried a second pool with a very good flow of water into it. Thought the extra oxygen might have them on the take....nothing doing. I have heard of reports of seatrout showing up but not a great deal. Weather has it up in the air at the moment me thinks.

• Advertisement

Well I know where there is loads but they are getting fished and poached by the locals I hope it rains soon to get them up river away from them

Last time I.was there now a few young brave boys were acting tough asking for a go of the Fly rod and threw stones into.the pool I nearly chuckled one of them but it's not worth the hassle like

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

I have been doing a wide variety of wild trout fishing.So far mostly I have been fly fishing for brown trout but tomorrow I am going to try for sea trout below the innishannon bridge and do you guys have any tips or experience below the bridge?I am going to try a selection of flies I have.

Here are the flies I might try:
    Bibio
    Various butchers
    Alexandra
    Black pennell
    Claret bumbles

I hve caught most I my brownies so far on mayfly imitations and a few on the bibio.

Tight Lines,
    MasDog1999

Was out last night and fished from 10pm - 11pm. Had intended to stay longer but got a phonecall to come home for something. In the hour I had 3 seatrout to 1lb and missed a few more. Excellent fishing. After the rain the trout were hopping off the flies. Had I not had to leave early, I would have been there until dawn!

SeaFields wrote: »
    Was out last night and fished from 10pm - 11pm. Had intended to stay longer but got a phonecall to come home for something. In the hour I had 3 seatrout to 1lb and missed a few more. Excellent fishing. After the rain the trout were hopping off the flies. Had I not had to leave early, I would have been there until dawn!

Ya I hooked at least 20 last night landed about 5 around the 1-2 lb bracket and a grisle about 3lb

I lost a nice one not sure was it a grisle but Was definitely about 4-5 lb

Great fun on the fly not so much fun when ya up early for work In the morning

Yeah, work the next morning aint great! Am definitely heading out few times this week tho. Fishing finally seems to be taking off.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WallysWorld

I'm wondering what's the story with flyfishing for trout on the Lee? I went out and walked the bank a bit from the angler's rest pub in carrigohane this afternoon, do I need a permit to fish for brown trout? What's the best method wet or dry and is the river wade able? Any advice would be appreciated as though I have a good bit of experience lake fishing I've never done much in the way of river fishing.

I'm wondering what's the story with flyfishing for trout on the Lee? I went out and walked the bank a bit from the angler's rest pub in carrigohane this afternoon, do I need a permit to fish for brown trout? What's the best method wet or dry and is the river wade able? Any advice would be appreciated as though I have a good bit of experience lake fishing I've never done much in the way of river fishing.

You don't need a permit for trout. And usually you don't get much stick from those people who think they own the river.

There's a fair stretch of the river around that area that's good for wading. Avoid the hellhole above the bridge on the bend though, that's extremely deep with strong currents. You can fish all that particular area from the bank.

Have caught trout on both wet and dry flies around there at various times. After 9-10pm is the best time usually. Just be warned that there are alot of small brownies in there and lots of perch too recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GRB

I'm hoping to do a day trip with a couple of buddies for some river or lake fishing and I am curious if there is somewhere that will rent us some gear. We'd be looking for casting gear, not fly fishing. Are there any clubs or tackle shops that rent equipment in the Cork/Mallow area?
    Thanks.

The last 4 times I have been fishing the Lee I have caught nothing but small Perch in various locations. The little b*stards are everywhere. Got a few on the fly first time out and changed to worms the other times.

They are becoming a real nuisance at the moment. Haven't caught a brownie in the last 3 weeks, its as if the Perch have taken over the Lee. I know they tend to travel in shoals but it was over a 4-5 mile stretch of river where I caught them.

Is there any particular reason for such large numbers or is this normal? I always remembering catching the odd one here and there but in times past it was mainly brown trout and eels that I used catch with earthworms.

Advertisement