Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing a module and still going onto second year?

• 06-05-2015 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm in tourism and languages in Cathal Brugha and Aungier, pretty much guarantee'd to fail one of my tourism modules, but it was only a semester long module as opposed to a year long one like my language ones were. If I fail the repeats of this tourism module can I go on to second year and still repeat the exam again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Hi, I'm in tourism and languages in Cathal Brugha and Aungier, pretty much guarantee'd to fail one of my tourism modules, but it was only a semester long module as opposed to a year long one like my language ones were. If I fail the repeats of this tourism module can I go on to second year and still repeat the exam again?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    No

Woah too much info man chill out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know it's possible in some ITs for some courses. You'd really have to ask the people in the college themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Woah too much info man chill out

He answered the question - what else do you need to know.
    spurious wrote: »
    I know it's possible in some ITs for some courses. You'd really have to ask the people in the college themselves.

DIT do not allow this - you repeat the year again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

There's a guy in my year (second year), who's repeating a few modules he failed in first year, so it is possible.
    And they're single long semester modules.

I reckon it'd come down to the individual school, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 fieldsmedal23

Years ago, "pass by compensation" allowed students who were at the borderline of a pass (35% +) to "compensate" for the failure if a combination of other modules had a sufficiently high mark. However, certain courses could override this general rule at the time, and stipulate a minimum of 40%, so it really depended on the course concerned.

The course I used to study no longer allows compensation, but I managed to pass a module by compensation about 35 years ago using this method. AFAIK, it depends solely on your course. Some allow it, some don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

A 12 year old could go on boards and respond with a singular 'no'. Normally expect a little more to go along with it, ie. like every other response. And I'm getting conflicting answers too. So that 'no' was useless.
    There's a guy in my year (second year), who's repeating a few modules he failed in first year, so it is possible.
    And they're single long semester modules.

I reckon it'd come down to the individual school, OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭themissymoo

People who failed in my course last year met individually with the head of the school and discussed their options (basically repeat the year and pay full fees or take a gap year and repeat the exam this year). You can repeat the exam in August and if you fail that, maybe meet with the head of the school. Better start saving though as it was about €100 or so for repeats last year.

Advertisement