Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway station/shopping centre

Options
  • 06-05-2015 1:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Could anyone please explain why there is no pedestrian walkway from the station to McDonagh Junction Shopping Centre? Surely it would make sense to link them up.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

madmaggie wrote: »
    Surely it would make sense to link them up.

I think you've answered your own question.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Could anyone please explain why there is no pedestrian walkway from the station to McDonagh Junction Shopping Centre? Surely it would make sense to link them up.

CIE don't exist to serve the best interests of their customers. It would make complete and utter sense and be great for the Shopping centre as well as boosting train services and serving travellers. But that would be joined up thinking...it should have been incorporated into the planning/design as it would have possibly reduced car travel to the Centre

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Great idea. Instead the planners are allowing that old station fall to pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Thanks for the replies, I was wondering if anyone knew if it was meant to happen and then was dropped due to the recession. My elderly uncle wanted to go by train to Kilkenny a while back, and it only became obvious to me then. Usually I drive to McDonagh Junction.

Another thing I thought was obvious, but not in existence, a shuttle bus from the station to The Parade, maybe out to the hospitals. Handy for tourists, and hospital users and visitors. Jaysus, if an eejit like me can think of this stuff, what are all the well paid, educated officials doing?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

To be fair the bus thing has been tried in the past.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Great idea. Instead the planners are allowing that old station fall to
    pieces.

I wonder who owns it. I am guessing it's CIE. I took a pic of it the other day. It really does have the potential to make a lovely little open air market area / small concert venue / beer garden / etc. if sympathetically restored.

Unfortunately though we don't have a particularly good record of being architecturally sympathetic in this city.:(

Sky King wrote: »
    I wonder who owns it. I am guessing it's CIE. I took a pic of it the other day. It really does have the potential to make a lovely little open air market area / small concert venue / beer garden / etc. if sympathetically restored.

Unfortunately though we don't have a particularly good record of being architecturally sympathetic in this city.:(
    I hadn't realised it was gone so bad. Such a shame. I still remember waiting there for the train that brought me to Dublin to start in college in Sept 1969 - all excited -in the tiniest miniskirt :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, I'm surprised it's fallen into such disrepair too. Madness!

John

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

inthehat wrote: »
    I hadn't realised it was gone so bad. Such a shame. I still remember waiting there for the train that brought me to Dublin to start in college in Sept 1969 - all excited -in the tiniest miniskirt :D.

Pic? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I see the tone of this thread has gone down in my absence.:D If the economy is picking up, perhaps something will be done with the older part of the station. I remember being freezing cold there back in the '80's while waiting for the train home from work.

I kinda remember a city bus in Kilkenny, but like the one in Carlow, it didn't survive. Given the number of tourists in the city, and two hospitals, I thought it might have a good chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I see the tone of this thread has gone down in my absence.:D If the economy is picking up, perhaps something will be done with the older part of the station. I remember being freezing cold there back in the '80's while waiting for the train home from work.

I kinda remember a city bus in Kilkenny, but like the one in Carlow, it didn't survive. Given the number of tourists in the city, and two hospitals, I thought it might have a good chance.

Kilkenny is very car dependent and public transport is just not part of the cities culture. There isn't a large working class or student population that would traditionally use buses more. It could exist, but I doubt profitably.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

Advertisement