Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proudest gaming achievement

Options
  • 06-05-2015 8:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,389 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not talking about these artificial 'achievements' that most games now have to boost your 'gamerscore'

I'm talking about things you set out to do in a game that were hard and when you finally managed to do it, you felt an enormous sense of achievement

Simple things like winning the championship in WipEout 2097 in phantom class, or beating all the extreme tracks in Trials Evolution, or taking a division 3 team to win the Champions league in Championship manager (without cheating)

For me, recently, my biggest sense of achievement in a game has come from Kerbal Space Program. There have been a few 'Oh Yeah!' moments but the best has to be my first rescue mission to recover one of my guys who had gotten stranded on the mun (Moon)

If you've never played KSP before, it's a sandbox space simulation game where you design your own rockets and then fly them to explore a fictional solar system. It has a steep learning curve and back then, it had no in game tutorials worth speaking of so it was a case of learn by trying, exploding, trying again, failing and trying again.

One of the early targets when you start playing is to successfully land on 'the Mun' and return back home safely. This is easier said than done, especially when you're only learning the game.

My first 'successful' 'landing' on 'The mun' ended with the lander toppling over and breaking, leaving poor Jebediah Kerman stranded.

I decided there and then, that I had to go back and get him, It was a nerve racking journey because I didn't know about the quicksave/quickload function back then, but somehow, I managed to land near(ish) to where Jebediah was stranded and he could walk to the rescue ship. I strapped him to a chair bolted onto the outside of the command module and we took off for home..

It's an awesome feeling to splash down safely on Kerbin knowing that the Kerbal Space Agency leaves no man behind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Hmm, I don't really have specifics more re-occurring instances that really get the heart pounding.

In Killer Instinct, your opponent is on a nearly full life bar and your in the danger zone. Yet you manage to win and the fecker doesn't rage quit.

Going from the back of the pack in a racing game and making it into first on the last lap.

But probably the greatest would be my daughter picking up the controller and wanting to play with me when she could barely crawl. Damn proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Smile achievement on Geometry Wars 2. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Probably completing the Water temple without the Blue Tunic in Ocarina 3D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

My reply to this question still hasn't changed. - From Gears of War 3

my top gaming memory of all time was being the last man standing in the final round of Insane mode horde against a lambent berzerker on the map "academy", I was cornered at the top of the steps area and managed to get the kill with the last shot left in my torque bow. the cheering through my headset was deafening. we actually got a top 10 in the world score for that game, which was quickly knocked way down the ranks as the Insane Horde group from the epic games forum started tackling it regularly.

otherwise, I'd been playing through dark souls and was dreading the much talked about fight with Smough and Ornstien.
    In an amazing bit of luck - and probably because I was a little Over levelled by the time I got to them, I managed to defeat them on my first try, without summoning.
    I will concede that I had seen a youtube video of them being beaten before, but thats a bit like saying that I saw a guy playing a guitar solo, so I should find it easy.
    Actually, completing Dark Souls full stop, gives me a bit of pride. A truly magnificent game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

not putting my controller through the telly when playing Dark Souls

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was late getting the Artorias DLC for Dark Souls so I played it for the first time on NG++ which meant some of the bosses were insanely difficult. Taking down Kalameet with another boardsie and a random german guy we summoned a few times after about ten tries was my most epic memory of any souls game. Manus was extremely difficult too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I suppose qualifying for a professional league in CSS. Also winning a game of dota 1 by a millisecond, our base had 1hp when we won...and it was at a LAN final. :)
    Both teams stood up cheering as we both thought we won, we had to go look at the replay and could see one base was destroyed right before the other, the attack that would destroy my base was midair when we won. Have a screenshot somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Becoming a Onebro in Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, I'm on the way in Bloodborne and Demon Souls :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Clearing the water dungeon in Ocarina of Time (N64)...without the water tunic. That was a bitch, and even worse when i got the tunic later that day.

Or the final of a CS Source tournament in college, after killing half my team with a badly thrown grenade, i went on and killed the rest of their team, and the last guy with a single pistol shot to the head in Office. Was a brilliant moment for me, as he was way better than i was, and got the jump on me. I just got stupidly lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Tetris Level 9 High 5. 10 year old me was well chuffed.

120 stars in Mario 64 before internet guides ruined everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Getting a 25 killsteak to get a nuke in MW2. I waited for that moment for so long that when I got it, I cried.

Was the biggest achievement for me really since I'm horribly shít at FPS game

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Becoming a Onebro in Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2, I'm on the way in Bloodborne and Demon Souls :(

What's a onebro?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Ps1 my very first game and gaining disc 1 lionheart on FF8 :P

had to farm all the ingredients for that sword ^_^

What's a onebro?

Beat the game at Level 1

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Beat the game at Level 1

Wow how did you manage that ?

My greatest achievement would probably be when I beat melfice from grandia 2, he was some ****er to beat.

Also grinding for materials for zidanes ultimate sword in ff9 , took me ages to do and also beating the final boss in one go :D:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

When I was young, getting the invincibility cheat I'm GoldenEye.

Just the other day, in Eve Online killing a cloaky, nullified tengu <3000m from a gate, and realising that the guy flying it had dropped 17 billion isk worth of loot. We were shocked, 5hen laughter, then fear as we got the loot to a trade hub. Made a billion is each.

will post others when I have the time.

Wow how did you manage that ?

Near Zen levels of focus and control.

My Ghost-Clean Hands (Don't get seen, don't kill anyone) run on the hardest difficulty in Dishonoured is up there too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Near Zen levels of focus and control.

My Ghost-Clean Hands (Don't get seen, don't kill anyone) run on the hardest difficulty in Dishonoured is up there too

some serious patience there dude, fair play to you. I've often tried for achievements like that but often got shafted by enemy AI seeing me through walls or some such nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Managing to keep the Dodo airborne for more than a minute in GTA3.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Getting the Big Boss emblem on MGS4.

The criteria for getting it are....

- Complete on The Boss extreme difficulty.
    - Use no continues.
    - Use no health items
    - Kill no enemies, including bosses.
    - No alert phases.
    - No special items (stealth, bandana)
    - Complete the game in less than 5 hours.

The motorbike sequence may have done some lasting psychological damage....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Hard to think of one of the top of my head, but clearing all raid content in World of Warcraft:WotLK shortly after hitting level 80. There was 3 raids and we even did the "hard" version of the Obsidian Sanctum by keeping 3 lesser bosses alive while you kill the main boss, wowowowowwww

Quit the game shortly after since i had nothing to do :rolleyes:

Same situation with the Star Wars MMO. A new raid was released in a patch and we cleared it on the highest difficulty within 1 or 2 weeks of release. Then i quit :rolleyes: I suppose its more of a team effort than my own personal achievement, but **** it. I was the highest DPS, constantly in my WoW guild, and the main tank in my SWTOR guild so you're damn right it was all me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Getting passed the Under Water level Teenage Mutant Ninja on the C64.

Completing Dark Souls for the first time and then completing it as an SL1.

Completing XCOM Enemy Unknown on Classic Ironman.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,783 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Would have to be when I got to play EA Sports UFC in front of about 4000 people in the O2 arena for the UFC Dublin event last Summer, thanks to Boards and EA. Andy Friedlander (Octagon Announcer for Europe) introduced myself and fellow Boardsie Mr. Blobby up on stage as "2 of Irelands best gamers.." :pac: and we had to play a fight between McGregor & Bruce Lee on a huge screen right in front of some UFC legends in the front row.

Then EA gave us tickets to the fight the following night, 10 rows from the Octagon. Epic seeing as I couldn't get any tix when they went on sale (sold out in minutes).

One of the best weekends of my life and it was all thanks to my love of Gaming.

PS. Dav, if you happen to be reading this and need someone to head over to Vegas for the title fight in July, I spose I could make myself available :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Sheehy's wrecked the thread with his "real life" sh!t€ :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

J. Marston wrote: »
    Getting the Big Boss emblem on MGS4.

The criteria for getting it are....

- Complete on The Boss extreme difficulty.
    - Use no continues.
    - Use no health items
    - Kill no enemies, including bosses.
    - No alert phases.
    - No special items (stealth, bandana)
    - Complete the game in less than 5 hours.

The motorbike sequence may have done some lasting psychological damage....

Never a dark souls or demon souls guy but that MGS achievement is incredible!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Playing a Quake World Clan Arena against Clan Giblets at Quakapalooza in 1998 and single handedly bringing my team from 4-0 down to 4 all and missing out the win by a single rocket hit ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Icaras

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I was late getting the Artorias DLC for Dark Souls so I played it for the first time on NG++ which meant some of the bosses were insanely difficult. Taking down Kalameet with another boardsie and a random german guy we summoned a few times after about ten tries was my most epic memory of any souls game. Manus was extremely difficult too.

I'm pretty sure that was me that helped you! A lazy day turned into battle Saturday. Very satisfying kill.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Competing at WCG. Man I had such a lock of hair back then.

That and organizing LANs. Lot of work involved and feels good when you have a room full of 100's of like-minded people enjoying what they love.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

The 1st time killing Atheon and killing Crota in Destiny

*runs away*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭limitedIQ

Tetris Level 9 High 5. 10 year old me was well chuffed.

Getting a score of 9999993 in the arcade version of tetris. If you when over 9999999 your score reset to 0 so you had to survice long enough and then try to die at the right time. I was chuffed until someone got 9999997 which was never beat as long at the arcade was there. Ah what wasted youth :)

Advertisement