Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proudest gaming achievement

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I only did it once I think, but I cleared Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting on the Snes on level 7 (the hardest setting) without losing a round. You get a special ending for doing so, which is, to be frank, simply not worth it!

Oh, & the obligatory getting all 96 exits in Super Mario World is up there too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

J. Marston wrote: »
    Getting the Big Boss emblem on MGS4.

The criteria for getting it are....

- Complete on The Boss extreme difficulty.
    - Use no continues.
    - Use no health items
    - Kill no enemies, including bosses.
    - No alert phases.
    - No special items (stealth, bandana)
    - Complete the game in less than 5 hours.

The motorbike sequence may have done some lasting psychological damage....

ya I don't understand how you got through the motorbike scene without needing any health items. That's insane. Well played!

I think I avoided killing any bosses the time I played it too.

Well played

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,228 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Icaras wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that was me that helped you! A lazy day turned into battle Saturday. Very satisfying kill.

Ah so it was, I couldn't for the life of me remember who it was when I posted earlier. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Raidleading the first ragnaros kill for our guild in molten core (WoW) about ten years or so ago (back when it was top tier content) - pep talk and strategy took about 20 minutes, spent weeks before that trying to kill him and months trying to get to him

By Fire be PURGED!

Pretty proud of that achievement :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Getting the Salty title in World of Warcraft - part of which requires you to win the fishing tournament, which means if my recollection is right, only 12 people on a server per year even had a hope of getting the achievement, and that's before you account for people winning multiple tournaments. You also had to catch seasonal fish, which means it takes you a year of play to earn the title in addition to having to win a tournament.

I was happy to be known in raids as Salty Cheesebread. Not long after that my WoW life was basically complete and I decided to log off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Inventive User Name

Felt like an amazing achievement winning the pokemon league on gameboy colour.
    I'd have to think about, but the first one that came into my head was fighting Doctor Octopus at his fusion reactor in the warehouse, in Spiderman 2 on PS2. I'm not even sure if that's recognised as being a difficult level or game, but it took me ages!!

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Beating Temco Wold Cup 90 "Euro League" in my local arcade Hot Shots. Fell off the stool in celebration! A very fond memory

Joining the JG 77 Squadron in IL2 Sturmovik, they had various induction's for new members into the squadron. The final induction was one on one dogfight with the squadrons top ace Jean-Pierre(JP) the so called JP test. It was squads equivalent to the Kobayashi Maru. On one ever passed. I picked the ME 109 G6/AS which had a better rate of climb, he went for the Yak-3 which was more maneuverable, both planes where roughly even in speed. It was boom n' zoom vs turn n' burn. I had developed a not very realistic bait and stall tactic where after a head to head confrontation I would go into a climb rather than turn after my opponent, allowing my opponent get behind me, my pursuer would then follow me into a completely vertical climb at range, I counted on both planes stalling at roughly the same time, then opening the flaps, inducing a dive, then hammer the throttle to recover, coming down on top of my opponent who often wasn't out of his own stall yet. A risky strategy as it did give my opponents a reasonable chance of landing a few rounds during the climb. JP wasn't as easily baited and would end his climb just before he would stall and when I came down after him he was too agile to hit.
    We both had several modest chances to shoot each other down, JP scoring a few hits with his light machine gun, but they did no damage. In the end I ran out of fuel after an hour long dogfight (my plane had a smaller fuel tank than his). Keeping with the online game etiquette JP let me land unmolested. Afterwards he was highly complementary of my flying skills as where the spectating squad members. Very satisfying.

Beating "Mexico" number three ranked American faction player in Company of Heroes, he pulled out his internet connection to prevent the loss to a relatively low ranked player affecting his high rank. It worked for him and the next day he made it to number one. However the game auto records every match so I posted up a replay of the match on gamesreplay.org exposing the drop hack for all the world to see, despite his feeble attempts at an excuse he got dogs load of abuse thrown at him on the forums and in game chat rooms as a result, some COH fan site even did an article on it!

Taking one game of four off Ryan Heart in Super Street Fighter 4 AE 2012, when I was drunk in Cannes last year!

Beating X-Com Enemy Within on classic ironman, something according to the Steam achievement stats state that only 1.7% of players managed to achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,362 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Finishing the training course level 8 in X-Wing as a young lad. That was rough, seriously intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Getting the S-Licence on Gran Turismo 3 back in the day....and then doing it all again for my mate who had the game....gave me his memory card for me to save it on for him.

Not anything especially difficult, but one I enjoyed and we were both happy with...was doing the Rock Band 1 endless setlist.
    Basically had to play all 58 songs without stopping.
    His missus was away for the weekend, so we started at 9pm ...bottle of vodka and some beers, and powered our way through until the early hours of the morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭The Domonator

Earning a platinum trophy for Socom Confrontation on the PS3, took me 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Beating Riven after about a feckin' year, back in the days before gamefaqs etc. I even kept a little notebook in which I scribbled notes and clues as I went, which is probably still in a box somewhere in my parents' attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Not quite sure tbh. On console, whether it was managing to beat the White Angel driver in Ridge Racer Revolution, beating Yiazmat in FFXII (over 50 million hp, took over 2 hours for that one fight), clearing everything on Phantom Mode in Wipeout 2097 (as mentioned by the OP) or at one time setting a world record in Gran Turismo 2 (fastest speed obtained on test track)...hard to judge.

In an MMO (both of these being in Dark Age of Camelot): being amongst the first core group of players to raid a revamped zone that had some new and really tough types of dragon in there, and beating it all (a U.S. server), or on a Euro server years ago (with no command groups & chat available at that time, only zone broadcast and a patchy Roger Wilco to utilise), leading a PvP raid of 150+ people from Hibernia and taking every keep and tower in Albion in a couple of hours (led to a successful relic raid too, so a very successful night overall :)).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I cleared Wipeout on the PS in one during, while hammered at a very early Playstation party hosted by Gamesworld, later GameStop.
    I played a lot of the game but typically I player with a Negcon allowing analogue control of the player craft making the game a lot better, but on this night I only had the standard digital PS controller.
    Nevertheless, I went from the opening race through the championship leagues and cleared the whole thing, with more alcohol in my system thank I care to admit.
    Worse thing was no one watched me :(
    But I knew I had achieved it, no memory card though to record the feat and I never really returned to the game after that, with the much better Wipeout 2097 being released the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

In keeping with the wipeout theme. Having the top worldwide multiplayer race time in chenghou project, vineta k and ubermall in wipeout HD on ps3. Played a disturbing amount of that at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

At 14 going into gamesworld in waterford where they had Tekken 2 set up on a stand, beating the current champion (as we all dutifully lined up) and getting a 42 win streak before my mother pulled me out of the store. Great times.

Or when I was 13 and finally beat FF7 after almost 2 years of playing it on off and having no idea what I was doing for most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Ps2. scoring an albatros in tiger Woods 08
    ps3. Getting a moab in mw3.
    ps4. Nothing worth getting excited about.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

bugs wrote: »
    In keeping with the wipeout theme. Having the top worldwide multiplayer race time in chenghou project, vineta k and ubermall in wipeout HD on ps3. Played a disturbing amount of that at the time.

If you don't already, pick up Wipeout for the Vita and get the HD tracks and Fury tracks free if you have them on the PS3, very cool indeed
    And to complete my Wipeout love in contribution, I'm currently listening to PETROL by Orbital, from tge it album In Sides, and from the Wipeout soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If you don't already, pick up Wipeout for the Vita and get the HD tracks and Fury tracks free if you have them on the PS3, very cool indeed
    And to complete my Wipeout love in contribution, I'm currently listening to PETROL by Orbital, from tge it album In Sides, and from the Wipeout soundtrack.

Had hoped to play it on ps-tv, only to find it incompatible. To date the only wipeout I have yet to let consume my game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Erm...I threw a perfect game on Wii bowling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭moonlighting

After playing counter-strike for a number of years i got really good at it. Every online server i joined i usually had the highest score. I became so good at it I had to quit because people kept complaining that I was cheating/hacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CiaranW

Getting all achievements in all Mass Effect games!
    Not that difficult but annoying that I thought I completed Mass Effect One on the hardest difficulty only to realise it wasn't when doing the last mission so replayed the game again!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

100% complete in SMW2: Yoshi's Island (including all the bonus levels).

Speedruns in Sonic Rush.

Being part of the Irish fighting game community since 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Beating Ruby+Emerald weapon without a guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭racersedge

Finishing Operation: Flashpoint back in the day. Compared to most linear shooters, doing it in Flashpoint felt like a real achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Playing MarioKart 8 with 2 of my daughters (6 and 3). After finishing first, picked up the 3 year olds controller - she was still at the starting line - and beat the 6 year old. Now who's too old, huh? HUH????

I'm a great driver but an awful parent.
    Edit : Wait, I mean I beat her by racing the 3 year olds kart expertly and finishing 11th! I didn't hit her with the controller. Let's be clear!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Getting all the 'cheats' in Goldeneye on the N64. Facility level had to be done in under 2:05, took me a while the fecker!

Also getting Orchid's 48 combo on the Snes!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭lankz92

Hydro thunder on the 360, was a time trial on the second level, had to be completed in under a certain time to unlock a skin, spent 3 hours straight and got it, also got myself 10th on the world leaderboard, wasnt even a perfect run, missed a few checkpoints so probly could have knocked another 10sec off the time. Was happy being 10th tho, think it was since knocked back to near 100 when they added in new boats
    That game took over my like for a good 6 months, was very good at it. Try play it now and i suck lol

Nothing else major, had 120+ hours in ff7 when i was a kid, had just about everything in the game done, think i still have the saves somewer,

Probly other things i cant think of at the min

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Finishing my 1st text adventure, The Price of Magik, on the C64 back in 86. :D

Winning my 1st online race in Grand Prix Legends at Monza back in 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I spent a lot of time in the top 50 overall killers in Duke Nukem 3D's deathmatch scorebaords on XBLA. Also got into the top 25 scorers in one of DmC: Devil May Cry's levels on Xbox Live on Dante Must Die mode. I believe I was in the top 85 in a bunch of other levels too. They were some of my personal highlights. Those and ranking well in fighting game tournaments around the county.

As regards the articficial achievements for gamerscore that was mentioned in the original post, I love them! I fight my arse off to get some of them. I think they can really be fun when done right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

deathrider wrote: »
    As regards the articficial achievements for gamerscore that was mentioned in the original post, I love them! I fight my arse off to get some of them. I think they can really be fun when done right.

a little off topic but what does your gamerscore actually do? Is it just a bragging thing for your friends list?

Advertisement