Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proudest gaming achievement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

CiaranW wrote: »
    Getting all achievements in all Mass Effect games!
    Not that difficult but annoying that I thought I completed Mass Effect One on the hardest difficulty only to realise it wasn't when doing the last mission so replayed the game again!

Beating ME 1 requires more patience than I have. Everything takes about half an hour to kill.

My proudest achievement was beating the Krogan Battlemaster (when you recruit Liara) on Insanity. I'd say it took a hundred tries.

Beating the whole game that way would take at least 4000 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

a little off topic but what does your gamerscore actually do? Is it just a bragging thing for your friends list?

It doesn't really do anything. It can definitely be seen as just good old fashioned bragging rights, but personally I see it more as a challenge. If a game has a set of achievements that I think I can complete, then I'll aim for them. It often adds longitivity onto a game that I've already completed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Den14

Completing Super Meat Boy main stages on the Xbox 360.
    It was so difficult and frustrating at times but I eventually beat the game through sheer persistence and twitch muscle memory. It felt amazing to complete it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Joy joy feelings when I cleared Silent Hill 2 and Super Metroid, they were pretty amazing games.

I might also suggest that, in keeping with the thread title but not quite perhaps what the OP was after, one of my most profound and proudest moments in this hobby we call gaming was importing my Vectrex from the Isle of Mann.
    It's an incredible machine, nothing else at home is quite like it, unless you are a oscilloscope collector (Neeeerd!)

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Tea-a-Maria

Getting a perfect on Jumping Jack Flash with the divas in Elite Beat Agents. I played that game far too much during college..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

The year 2000:

I actually caught/registered all 151 Pokemon on Pokemon Yellow.
    It took me two years and deals that would have left Neville Chamberlain blue, but I did it

Lessons Learned:

Bullying is always a solution, if you haven't tried it.
    A link cable trade is more sweaty and tension than bomb defusment.
    Using the cloning cheat of depositing a pokemon in a pc and then switching off when it "saving do not turn off power" will produce unlimited bargaining power.

Step 2: Realisation

You just gave everyone a Mew that your friend specifically told you would be our little secret, everyone at school has one now because you used cloning and now you still have dozens of entries to go. You lost your bargaining power.

Finding two more Eevees in your primary school of 30 will be harder than finding political character in an Italian politician.

Step 3: Desperation

You're a whore
    You traded a Mewtwo for a Poliwrath and you will never live it down

Buys an incredibly worthwhile :pac: Gameboy Printer, Celadon City. 151 Pokemon. Master. James Cameron Adamatium picks up his 12 Oscars.

Unintended consequences of your work:

Children now face off on the playground with 6v6 armies of Level 100 Mews

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Adamantium wrote: »
    The year 2000:

I actually caught/registered all 151 Pokemon on Pokemon Yellow.
    It took me two years and deals that would have left Neville Chamberlain blue, but I did it

I did this too on Blue, was also prob back in 2000.
    I carved stars and stuff into the back of the cartridge so I'd recognise my copy if I lost it.
    Then my brother lent it to a friend, and he started a 'NEW' game which overwrote my save...and I wen't f*cking mental to say the least.
    I wasn't able to convince my parents of the importance of my saved game....and how much it broke my heart that my brother had done such a thing.

"Your gameboy still works right ? "
    "Yeah mam...but that's not the point...it's..."
    "And the game...it's not broken is it ?...you can still play it"
    "Yeah...I can still play it but...my game...is gone..it's"
    "I don't get it...what's the problem ?"
    "I KNOW YOU DON'T GET IT....I KNOW YOU DON'T ....I'M GONNA KILL MY BROTHER....I'M GONNA KILL HIM"

The conversation went something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I finished the last mission in Driver without using any cheats. It's the one where you're driving a limo with the President in the back through San Fransisco with kamikaze cars flying at you from all angles.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CiaranW

Gbear wrote: »
    Beating ME 1 requires more patience than I have. Everything takes about half an hour to kill.

My proudest achievement was beating the Krogan Battlemaster (when you recruit Liara) on Insanity. I'd say it took a hundred tries.

Beating the whole game that way would take at least 4000 years.

Would you schtop!
    That was so tough, the way to do it, is make sure you keep him in the air as much as possible with biotics, died so many times there!
    A lot of hiding in cover.
    Mass Effect 3 was probably the easiest of them all on Insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭deadybai

Completing the mission 'Wrong Side of the Tracks' on GTA San Andreas. Took me absolutely ages as a young fella and even when I completed it, it was down to luck. I actually thought the game was glitched which made it impossible for the lads on the train to die as they were clearly getting shot. Then when you failed you had to listen to 'ALL WE HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE DAMN TRAIN CJ!', but you also had to drive the whole length of the tracks each time back to Big Smokes house.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

Not my proudest achievement but I used to beat Crash Team Racing to 101%, got bored and would replay again to 101%, just because, must have done about 5 times

I've never enjoyed a game so much. Better than Mario Kart.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,705 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

CiaranW wrote: »
    Would you schtop!
    That was so tough, the way to do it, is make sure you keep him in the air as much as possible with biotics, died so many times there!
    A lot of hiding in cover.
    Mass Effect 3 was probably the easiest of them all on Insanity.
    I beat ME3 on Insanity (Soldier), then went back to make sure I'd actually ticked that difficulty level! :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I beat ME3 on Insanity (Soldier), then went back to make sure I'd actually ticked that difficulty level! :pac:

I have probably finished that game about 7 times!
    I still love it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

2 isn't too bad either.

It's tricky early on but once you get a nice spread of powers, the Viper Sniper Rifle or the Mattock it becomes a doddle as well.

ME1 is just a nightmare throughout. You can dog it but you have to be insanely conservative and chip away for about half an hour because everyone spams Immunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

FIFA 10 was when I first notched up the difficulty to 'World Class' and turned off all the assisted settings. It took me the best part of a year to get the hang of the manual controls. I was quite proud of that because I spent all of that time getting walloped around the pitch and only scoring the odd goal. I could never understand how people put 100 hours into something like Elder Scrolls, but I must have put double that time into FIFA 10, and only managed a couple of dozen goals for all of my sweat and tears. It's such a bittersweet memory though, because just as I was getting the hang of it FIFA started to get rubbish again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,583 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

deadybai wrote: »
    Completing the mission 'Wrong Side of the Tracks' on GTA San Andreas. Took me absolutely ages as a young fella and even when I completed it, it was down to luck. I actually thought the game was glitched which made it impossible for the lads on the train to die as they were clearly getting shot. Then when you failed you had to listen to 'ALL WE HAD TO DO WAS FOLLOW THE DAMN TRAIN CJ!', but you also had to drive the whole length of the tracks each time back to Big Smokes house.

I fecking hated that level.
    Such a pain in the backside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Never understood the problems people had with that train mission in SA. Think i cleared it on my first attempt. Zero's missions were the worst in SA especially the one where you have to shoot the vans with the RC plane while only having limited fuel. It had to be timed perfectly. I'd destroy all the vans only to run out of fuel a few metres short of the finish point. Got it in the end though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Back in the day of the original WRC rally games they had a comp where they give you a code and you had to do your best time on 3 stages that this code loaded up! Your time then gave you a code to put on the website. I was 2nd or 3rd in Ireland for it but there was only a prize for 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Beating Alma in ninja gaiden. Spent months trying to do it, gave up for a couple of weeks before going back to it and eventually beating her. It felt so much like an end game victory that I never played on after it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

When I first started playing Rust back in late 2013 I was just playing solo. I had set up my first base in a nice corner of the map where I'd be out of sight of all the raiders.........or so I thought.

Second night in I had a fairly large raid team outside my door, ready to hack my measly wooden door down with pickaxes and loot everything I had. In a panicked frenzy I managed to retrieve my only handgun and slipped out a door to the back of the base.

Getting the jump on them (4 players) I managed to take them all out. I was an absolute noob at this stage so I really surprised myself. Ended up joining the raiders too once we got talking after it. Have to say though, when you first start playing that game the sense of vulnerability is truly terrifying!

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    2 isn't too bad either.

It's tricky early on but once you get a nice spread of powers, the Viper Sniper Rifle or the Mattock it becomes a doddle as well.

ME1 is just a nightmare throughout. You can dog it but you have to be insanely conservative and chip away for about half an hour because everyone spams Immunity.

Mass Effect 2 on Insanity against the boss on the Collector ship (Reaper IFF mission) and a constant spawn of collectors took me the best part of 5-6 hours to get by, it was so difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think was in Dead Sace 1 or 2, I had no ammo going up against a brute, so was a combination of stasis and melee. took a while but eventually did it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Finishing the original Guild wars with my guild. It wasn't really an achievement, however I had 5 other people whom we did every instance together. There was a sense of community to go through the whole campaign together.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Had just walked into a pub in Sligo and saw they had consoles hooked up to TVs for some reason.

Noticed there was a big crowd around one TV where they had the SNES Street Fighter 2, there was one guy who was beating everyone.

I would've left to go to the bar to order my 1st pint but his complete cockiness and that shít-eating grin everytime he won a round was just begging to be wiped off his face, I couldn't resist.

I grab the controller to play him next, he looks me up and down, laughs to himself and then puts his controller behind his back to show off how good he was.

I win the 1st Round with a Perfect!

His smug smile disappears and he brings the controller round front and tries to play properly, while the crowd around us are laughing.

I destroy him in the 2nd Round with just 2 hits taken, crowd goes nuts and heckles him mercilessly while he stormed off like a sour child, he just dropped the controller to the ground like a dickhead and left.

I give the controller to someone else and headed for a pint. Got a pat on the back from people because he was apparently hogging the SNES for ages which was pissing them off.

Felt glorious :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭Azza

Two other additions for me.

Beating Sin: Episode 1 Emergance.
    The game had a dynamic difficulty level that adjusted the difficulty based on health, ammo and speed of completition of hidden check points. It was bugged at first, if you back tracked over one of the hidden check points it would check the time again, which could be as a little as a few seconds, which resulted in the game jacking the difficulty up to extreme levels. I remember having for the most part of my playthough having 1-5% life and quick saving after ever enemy I killed. I eventually beat the game. Was only afterwards I read about the glitch, I just thought it was normal. They fixed the issue in a patch, but the glitch was so infamous they started selling T-Shirts saying I beat Sin before the patch.

Another reasonable achivement, was beating Far Cry 1 on realistic difficulty. Difficult game, that involved insane amounts of quick saving. Even the developers said barely anyone finished the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Azza wrote: »

Another reasonable achivement, was beating Far Cry 1 on realistic difficulty. Difficult game, that involved insane amounts of quick saving. Even the developers said barely anyone finished the game.

got as far as the end game baddy and just couldn't beat him :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Had just walked into a pub in Sligo and saw they had consoles hooked up to TVs for some reason.

Noticed there was a big crowd around one TV where they had the SNES Street Fighter 2, there was one guy who was beating everyone.

I would've left to go to the bar to order my 1st pint but his complete cockiness and that shít-eating grin everytime he won a round was just begging to be wiped off his face, I couldn't resist.

I grab the controller to play him next, he looks me up and down, laughs to himself and then puts his controller behind his back to show off how good he was.

I win the 1st Round with a Perfect!

His smug smile disappears and he brings the controller round front and tries to play properly, while the crowd around us are laughing.

I destroy him in the 2nd Round with just 2 hits taken, crowd goes nuts and heckles him mercilessly while he stormed off like a sour child, he just dropped the controller to the ground like a dickhead and left.

I give the controller to someone else and headed for a pint. Got a pat on the back from people because he was apparently hogging the SNES for ages which was pissing them off.

Felt glorious :pac:

I knew I read this story before, had to search, but found it..4 years ago.
    But back then you said it was an XBOX..though that's surely a mistake...as you did say SF2 in the post too:P

Duggy747 wrote: »
    • I completed Time Crisis 2 on 1 credit and with 2 health bars left on a boat over to England.
      Nobody was around to see it :(

• Hada 25 winning streak on Mortal Kombat 3 at a house party and retired undefeated............I was banned from the SNES for the rest of the night :pac:

Walked into a nite-club in Sligo where they had an Xbox hooked up to a TV. Some smarmy git had a 30-odd winning streak on Street Fighter 2 and had that shìt-eating grin on his face.

I picked up the controller, he gave me a cocky look and put the controller behind his back...............I kicked the shìt out of him in the first round so he puts the controller in front of him again, meaning business...............I get a perfect on the 2nd round, cue crowd cheering, I laugh at the not-so-cocky shìt now, give the controller to a randomer beside me and go back to my drink :pac: I had ended his reign of terror.

The thread is very similar to this, for anyone interested

Your greatest moment in gaming
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70407721#post70407721

Note : I'm not Rain Man or can't remember every post I've ever read here over the years :P, this obviously just created a very visual image in my mind that stuck obviously :) ...so good story from that point of view ! :)

Finishing F-Zero X on Master difficulty on the N64.

It was so hard to finish 1st in any race that it was imperative to kill as many rivals as possible per race. I had to kill at least 5 opponents per race regardless to get the extra life so I could restart if it didn't go favourably. The score boards would be so messed up towards the end as a completely different set of racers would finish top 5 each time, I'd be lucky to be included amongst them.

Finishing F-Zero X on Master difficulty on the N64.

It was so hard to finish 1st in any race that it was imperative to kill as many rivals as possible per race. I had to kill at least 5 opponents per race regardless to get the extra life so I could restart if it didn't go favourably. The score boards would be so messed up towards the end as a completely different set of racers would finish top 5 each time, I'd be lucky to be included amongst them.

Wow, that's pretty damn impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

jamo2oo9 wrote: »
    Getting a 25 killsteak to get a nuke in MW2. I waited for that moment for so long that when I got it, I cried.

Was the biggest achievement for me really since I'm horribly shít at FPS game

I only got one nuke and I nearly cried too. It was on highrise and I was so close to getting killed so many times when my attack helicopter got that magical 25th kill. I don't think I played mw2 after that, my mission was accomplished..

But my greatest achievement was getting the gold chocobo on FF7. I was young and there was no Internet telling me how to do it, just a list I had written down from another friend who got it from a magazine. Thinking about it now I wonder how I had the patience to breed, race, hope for the best and repeat countless times. These days I'm sure you could buy one from PS Store but back then it was all grinding..

Advertisement