Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proudest gaming achievement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

5star02707 wrote: »
    Ps1 my very first game and gaining disc 1 lionheart on FF8 :P

had to farm all the ingredients for that sword ^_^

I heard that was possible, it must've been exhausting... Still, I'd say bosses were a piece of piss from then on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not that tough at all to farm the lionheart ingredients in the first disc, I was actually surprised how easy it is once you know where they are. Doesn't make a difference to difficulty since weapons don't matter and you won't be using your limits much, all that matters in that game is junctioned magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Some of the requirements for Celestial Weapons in FF10 were ridiculous. I did end up getting them all, but after much frustration

GerB40 wrote: »
    I only got one nuke and I nearly cried too. It was on highrise and I was so close to getting killed so many times when my attack helicopter got that magical 25th kill. I don't think I played mw2 after that, my mission was accomplished..

But my greatest achievement was getting the gold chocobo on FF7. I was young and there was no Internet telling me how to do it, just a list I had written down from another friend who got it from a magazine. Thinking about it now I wonder how I had the patience to breed, race, hope for the best and repeat countless times. These days I'm sure you could buy one from PS Store but back then it was all grinding..

You got one for beating Ruby weapon too, but it's not as good as the Gold ones you raise yourself. It's only use is to get the KOTR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Winning the world cup and Euros with Ireland in Championship Manager 01/02.

Placing in the top 10 in the world for one of the Assassins creed games, cant remember which.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 french_bloke

Wouldn't say proudest moment (so much wasted youth), but I did manage to collect all the celestial weapons and amour in final fantasy 10, then collected all the crests and sigils to max out those weapons. That chocobo race had me on the brink of cage rage multiple times!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Some of the requirements for Celestial Weapons in FF10 were ridiculous. I did end up getting them all, but after much frustration

They were so annoying. Were as other RPGs reward you by showing how much you have mastered the mechanics of the battle system, FFX gives you celestial weapons based on how weel you do in terrible minigames. I played it through recently again and it really shows how rushed the end game was.
    You got one for beating Ruby weapon too, but it's not as good as the Gold ones you raise yourself. It's only use is to get the KOTR

The most useless prize ever. If you manage to get to Ruby Weapon and beat him without KOTR then you there's really no need for it anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

This thread shows me how terrible I am at games :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Wouldn't say proudest moment (so much wasted youth), but I did manage to collect all the celestial weapons and amour in final fantasy 10, then collected all the crests and sigils to max out those weapons. That chocobo race had me on the brink of cage rage multiple times!!!

That race was ridiculous. You'd spend ages getting no where near it and then suddely you'd get it. So annoying when you knew you were on track to win in 0.0 and would suddenly get blasted by blue seagulls.
    Reminds me of some of the trials in Gran Turismo on the PS1. You'd be miles ahead of the time, put a tyre in the dirt and get disqualified on the last bend. I used to have a tea towel over the corner of the tv, so I couldn't see the time and get distracted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,382 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Overcoming, after several years, the only video game challenge I once thought physically impossible for me to complete. And it was only on normal mode.

34odnwx.png

A minor victory in the general scheme of video game achievements (frankly even within Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan achievements), but an important one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Completing FF7 for the first time with no fecking walkthroughs or guides. It's only looking back that it becomes apparent how big of an achievement that was! :L

Taking a Backyard promotion to Global and becoming the top dog in EWR without cheating or Auto booking.

Completing Mr.Jump on IOS holy **** the hardest game in the ****ing world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Adamantium wrote: »
    Not my proudest achievement but I used to beat Crash Team Racing to 101%, got bored and would replay again to 101%, just because, must have done about 5 times

I've never enjoyed a game so much. Better than Mario Kart.

I love you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

speaking of which yes that one too manage to get them all and the most frustrating part is beating those Dark Aeons specifically the Dark magus sisters! :D after soooo many turns and Aeon summoning so that they could die instead of my party <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

For me it has to be back when I was a wide eyed kid and defeated the Elite Four for the first time on Pokemon Gold.

Good times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CiaranW

Finally completing the Water Temple in Zelda The Ocarina of Time on the N64.

Also, the fishing in that game was surprisingly relaxing, especially when trying to win the extra jar!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

****ing Chocobo Racing bull****.:mad:

I was proud as **** when I got the lightning dodging minigame down.

I turned all the lights off, worked out a rhythm, worked out what the average time it took to get 20 dodges and took periodic breaks every time I got to that mark.

In the end, to make sure I got the 200 (so I bloody well wouldn't have to do it again), I gave it an extra half an hour and ended up getting about 300.

The most weapons I ever got were Rikku's, Auron's, Wakka's, Yuna's and Lulu's. Chocobo racing and butterfly collecting can **** off.

Gbear wrote: »
    ****ing Chocobo Racing bull****.:mad:

I was proud as **** when I got the lightning dodging minigame down.

I turned all the lights off, worked out a rhythm, worked out what the average time it took to get 20 dodges and took periodic breaks every time I got to that mark.

In the end, to make sure I got the 200 (so I bloody well wouldn't have to do it again), I gave it an extra half an hour and ended up getting about 300.

The most weapons I ever got were Rikku's, Auron's, Wakka's, Yuna's and Lulu's. Chocobo racing and butterfly collecting can **** off.

Oh the butterfly thing yeah, that was stupid. I can't remember the chocobo racing off the top of my head, will youtube it now...as when I think of Chocobo racing FF7 just comes into mind.

Edit : just checked, yeah I did that chocobo race. I can't remember it being as difficult as the butterflies or lightning though. Maybe I got lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭butterbun

Maxing out the score on Columns on Megadrive. It was a while ago, but I think it froze the console.

More recently, starting a new file on BoI:Rebirth after I lost my save file. I was four items away from Platinum God.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think that chocobo race was much easier if you used the dpad instead of the analog stick

• Registered Users Posts: 82,330 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The fact that I struggle to remember other great gaming achievements probably proves that achievements are relatively futile..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I got to number 1 in what was unoffially Germany's official quake 2 ranking on quake.de and held it for nearly 2 weeks. It was based on in free for all deathwatch (lithium). I was a nice shot with the rail gun and handy with the rocket blaster.

Quake.de was where it was all happening in Germany's quake 2 scene back in - I don't know, I guess mid nineties, 95 or 96 - and it was full with other European players but not from too far away. Ping was of the essence then. Probably still is.

My only claim to (brief) gaming fame.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Oh the butterfly thing yeah, that was stupid. I can't remember the chocobo racing off the top of my head, will youtube it now...as when I think of Chocobo racing FF7 just comes into mind.

Edit : just checked, yeah I did that chocobo race. I can't remember it being as difficult as the butterflies or lightning though. Maybe I got lucky
    I still haven't got the lightning one, it's the only thing left as I have all the others, even managed to take out a few of the Dark Aeons without it but Lulu really needs that weapon, might give it another go soon.

One of mine was beating the impossible fight scene in God of War Ascension (The one near the end) on hard, jesus the stress of it

How could I forget? Getting past the torture scene in MGS: Peace Walker. Higher-level button mashing right there.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Completing MW2 on Veteran.. took me so long. Contingency was the hardest( 5hrs+ of pure grinding) the rest (except the ones in the Favela because troops are well camoflauged and there's so many places for them to come from) were more-or-less a breeze. I also completed MW3 on Veteran, but that was simpler as the AI teammates actually do stuff in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

Hard to say. I was pretty please when I won the first blitzball game in FFX.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,539 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

butterbun wrote: »
    How could I forget? Getting past the torture scene in MGS: Peace Walker. Higher-level button mashing right there.

I thought the torture scene was pretty straight forward. What did it for me was how many times I had to do it (Didn't notice the damn mirror!!!) :P

Chasing down Peace Walker on the horse was a horrible challenge I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

First one that comes to mind is filling the screen with the snake on my dad's old nokia back in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭MessiHutz

Completing Spec Ops On MW2 on Veteran or getting a nuke on Mw2, had been burned before as well getting killed on 24 kills.

Tazzimus wrote: »
    I still haven't got the lightning one, it's the only thing left as I have all the others, even managed to take out a few of the Dark Aeons without it but Lulu really needs that weapon, might give it another go soon.

There is a glitchy/trick way to do it that I seen recently on some Top10 difficult things in games or something or other video. I can link you to it if you like (it's still hard to do) , or you can continue to drive yourself insane by trying doing it honestly :D

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    I thought the torture scene was pretty straight forward. What did it for me was how many times I had to do it (Didn't notice the damn mirror!!!) :P

Chasing down Peace Walker on the horse was a horrible challenge I thought!

Hah, I had the opposite experience. Catching Peace Walker was a breeze for me! Tapping a button a few times though, that gave me nightmares.

Advertisement