Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To Carbon or not to Carbon?..

• 06-05-2015 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭

In the market for new road bike..

Think I've come across a good deal but need to know if its worth going carbon.

looking at two Cubes.

1. Cube peleton, full 105 and fulcrum wheels
    2. Cube Agree.. as above but full carbon frame.. little bit lighter. bout €350 more.

€350 doesn't grow on trees and I have a good TT that I do a lot of training on. the road is mainly for going out in groups or long hilly spins.

Suggestions?

Saw Boardman team carbon too.. bit ugly though

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

I've been looking at the same 2 bikes shansey - among others.

After much deliberation, I decided to stretch the extra budget to get the carbon Agree GTC Pro (€1299) - but now the bike shop is telling me that Cube don't have any stock of these and no more to be produced (of this year's model).

Having convinced myself of the merits of going carbon, I'm now reluctant to go 'back' to aluminium.
    So I'm back to square 1 in my search! :(

Any other suggestions on a good value for money carbon with a min 105 groupset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Have a look on here http://www.rosebikes.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

I've been looking at the same 2 bikes shansey - among others.

After much deliberation, I decided to stretch the extra budget to get the carbon Agree GTC Pro (€1299) - but now the bike shop is telling me that Cube don't have any stock of these and no more to be produced (of this year's model).

Having convinced myself of the merits of going carbon, I'm now reluctant to go 'back' to aluminium.
    So I'm back to square 1 in my search! :(

Any other suggestions on a good value for money carbon with a min 105 groupset?

If you ride a size 56 frame, this may be of interest to you. A club mate of mine only put it up a few days ago;
    http://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/cube-agree-gtc-sl/9430095

Cube Agree GTC SL, Ultegra 6800 for €1400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Personally at that price Id buy the cheaper one and save the 350 for something else, like a holiday.
    You wont notice the difference in the bikes, or at least one wont make you any better than the other.
    Decent alu is as good as cheap carbon imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭C3PO

Buy the carbon .... you will always wish you had if you don't!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://cozybeehive.blogspot.ie/2009/08/dynamic-ride-comfort-measuring.html?m=1

On comfort a nice wide tyre fitted to wide rims will probably make more difference than frame material. I ride an aluminium frame bike and have no comfort issues even on really long rides.

I've hired cubes in aluminium and carbon and they are decent.

There is so much marketing and horsesh1t out there it is hard to make an informed decision.

Buy the bike that fits you best, feel right and the one you like to look at

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Planetx pro carbon?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Obligatory mention of www.canyon.com

CPL 593H

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://cozybeehive.blogspot.ie/2009/08/dynamic-ride-comfort-measuring.html?m=1

On comfort a nice wide tyre fitted to wide rims will probably make more difference than frame material. I ride an aluminium frame bike and have no comfort issues even on really long rides.

I've hired cubes in aluminium and carbon and they are decent.

There is so much marketing and horsesh1t out there it is hard to make an informed decision.

Buy the bike that fits you best, feel right and the one you like to look at

That's some serious science there ford. :)
    Some of these dampener technologies remind me of the reebok basketball boots that you could pump up the tongue to get better fit and performance! :-)

+1 on the marketing & horseh1t ...makes decision making very difficult.
    You tend to get not very long to get a feel for the bike - hence I've been relying on comparing specs, how the bike looks & boardsie recommendations!

jinkypolly wrote: »
    If you ride a size 56 frame, this may be of interest to you. A club mate of mine only put it up a few days ago;
    http://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/cube-agree-gtc-sl/9430095

Cube Agree GTC SL, Ultegra 6800 for €1400

I'm on a BTW scheme Jinky (sorry - probably should have mentioned that) but am also a 58/60 so wouldn't have suited anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

as said above.. the material isnt as important as you may think..
    geometry and running gear are far more important in my view..
    a highend alu frame ( cannondale caad 10,caynon al ,colnago strada for example) beats the **** out of entry level carbon...
    then get some good wheels and your laughing..

im slowly retreating from carbon back to steel...via alu last year...and i can say honestly im enjoying my cycling no less..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

shansey wrote: »
    little bit lighter. bout €350 more.
    define 'a little bit lighter'; are we talking about a half full water bottle lighter?

how much difference does 1KG in bike weight make, when the rider could weigh 100 times this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭shansey

define 'a little bit lighter'; are we talking about a half full water bottle lighter?

how much difference does 1KG in bike weight make, when the rider could weigh 100 times this?

I'm definitely from the school of "its the engine not the bike".

it's def gonna be the alu now as I have to replace my old commuter after it was stolen..

Advertisement