Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgotten password on Lumia

• 06-05-2015 10:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

A relation was up with us last night trying to get access to the Windows app store but he has no password - well, he has forgotten it. Thing is, this guy is not techie in any way and is touching 70. All he wants is his beloved Whats App. Apparently, it is due an update ( there are 32 app updates queued ) but obviously it needs his username and password. Unlike the other apps, the WhatsApp will not work, I'm guessing it will function again once updated. He maintains he has never used it and when I was trying to recover it through Microsoft, he cannot provide sufficient information such as credit card ( he never linked it in the first place ), recent emails ( never sends them ) so the minimum info criteria for password recovery is not met. Is a full reset ( losing any data ) the only option for him at this juncture ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Factory reset...

1. Switch the phone off.
    2. Press and hold the Volume Down, Power and Camera buttons at the same time.
    3. When the phone vibrates release the Power button but keep the Camera and Volume Down buttons held for a further five seconds.

Of course, this will not give him his password for any forgotten log in details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,064 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

kleefarr wrote: »
    Factory reset...

1. Switch the phone off.
    2. Press and hold the Volume Down, Power and Camera buttons at the same time.
    3. When the phone vibrates release the Power button but keep the Camera and Volume Down buttons held for a further five seconds.

Of course, this will not give him his password for any forgotten log in details.

Yeah, I guess its a new account and start from scratch. What about contacts ? Any way to transfer them to a SIM card ? Cloud backup will not be possible (obviously) without the Microsofr account details. I did create another account but its not the Primary. And I guess this is where the problem lies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

dodzy wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess its a new account and start from scratch. What about contacts ? Any way to transfer them to a SIM card ? Cloud backup will not be possible (obviously) without the Microsofr account details. I did create another account but its not the Primary. And I guess this is where the problem lies.

Try saving them via usb to pc.

exporting-contacts-from-nokia-lumia-to-pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

If you create a new MS account, you can add it to the phone before the reset, and make sure all the contacts sync over.

Verify this by logging into Outlook.com and checking the People section.

Advertisement