Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired Broadband or Wireless

Options
  • 06-05-2015 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

I have vf broadband at home. The router is in the corner of the room, and I connect to it wirelessly via tablets, ipads, laptop. I get a whopping 3-4mb, for my up to 25mb broadband.

my question is does connecting wirelessly have a significant impact, generally speaking, on the speeds you get. If I were to get myself a LAN cable and hook my laptop up that way, could there be a huge difference or is it negligible.

Also, does the frequency/channel transmitting from the modem make much of a difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

marcus2000 wrote: »
    I have vf broadband at home. The router is in the corner of the room, and I connect to it wirelessly via tablets, ipads, laptop. I get a whopping 3-4mb, for my up to 25mb broadband.

my question is does connecting wirelessly have a significant impact, generally speaking, on the speeds you get. If I were to get myself a LAN cable and hook my laptop up that way, could there be a huge difference or is it negligible.

Also, does the frequency/channel transmitting from the modem make much of a difference?

Try it and see.

Yes it might make a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Your modem will give you the stats on the speed it's connecting at, login on 192.168.1.254

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭swoofer

wireless is dependent on the power of the router and distance from router so wired will always be better unless you place laptop right next to router. That VF router has poor wireless.

The frequency channels should make no difference and are only used if you get interference or if you are close to houses who use the same channel. But its always worth a try.

And the position of the router in your house and construction of house can have an impact. Test with cable and then you should know exact speed of bb ie your up to 25mb may in fact be a lot less.

Advertisement