Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

I have the same problem with mine
    I'm gonna have to wear it for a random night out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Oh lovely! Where'd you get it? Any pics? :)

Babydoll in templebar.

I only have a pic of me wearing it.

It's red with black polka dots. It has a heart neckline with cuffed sleeves and a cut out at the back.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I have the same problem with mine
    I'm gonna have to wear it for a random night out!

Fancy cocktails!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Good luck with the job interview today Purple Pawprints.

I've had so much work to do the last couple of weeks, I don't even know where to start. Now deadlines are all starting to creep up on me and I still can't prioritise, and it's all so terrifying that I'm here... on boards.
    I'm such a good grownup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I appear to actually be "crawl under desk and go asleep" tired today. Why the feck is it only Wednesday?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

How so Joe wrote: »
    I've had so much work to do the last couple of weeks, I don't even know where to start. Now deadlines are all starting to creep up on me and I still can't prioritise, and it's all so terrifying that I'm here... on boards.
    I'm such a good grownup.
    I have this exact problem myself, which is why I'm browsing boards during deadline week in work. It always reminds me of the Hyperbole and a Half post 'This is Why I'll Never be an Adult'

Scarinae wrote: »
    I have this exact problem myself, which is why I'm browsing boards during deadline week in work. It always reminds me of the Hyperbole and a Half post 'This is Why I'll Never be an Adult'

I LOVE HAAH. I got the book for my birthday last year, and then lent it to one of my friends. He then lent it to everyone he could find, with recommendations that it was utterly hilarious (which, to be fair, is true.)
    Unfortunately, this now means that he is in Ireland, I am in England, and my book is in, uh, Prague?
    I am unimpressed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Rugby tickets have arrived - went to the delivery office to collect them, and the guy behind the desk was like they are rugby tickets, asking me about what games I was going to.

Two more days of "freedom", but must do summer school prep which will involve at least one trip to work, thinking Friday and work from home tomorrow. Then four days of summer school, five days of volunteering at RWC2015, one training day, bank holiday Monday and I'm back to proper work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Scarinae wrote: »

Jaysus....that's my life, right there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Lads the lack of a proper dose of sunshine this "summer" is starting to get in on me a bit. Think I'll have to look into a few days in a sunshine spot in a couple of weeks.

It's looking gorgeous this morning though so I'll definitely be getting out and about today.

Do any of ye use a sunbed not for tanning but just for a dose of vitamin d / clearing bad skin? Actually do you even get the vitamin d from a sunbed?

I use them sometimes for psoriasis, I've discussed the risks/benefits with my GP, and he's happy for me to use them in moderation once I'm aware of the risks. My psoriasis is bad enough to badly effect the quality of my life if it's not kept under control, and he said that using them for maybe six weeks, 3x a week, twice a year, is no worse than going for two sun holidays a year in terms of risk of skin cancer. They really work for me, and they don't damage the skin in the same way a lot of the steroid creams do (and the creams are only short-term fixes anyways.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

I actually also have psoriasis. Thanks for that. I'll chat to my doc as well!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Rugby tickets have arrived - went to the delivery office to collect them, and the guy behind the desk was like they are rugby tickets, asking me about what games I was going to.

Two more days of "freedom", but must do summer school prep which will involve at least one trip to work, thinking Friday and work from home tomorrow. Then four days of summer school, five days of volunteering at RWC2015, one training day, bank holiday Monday and I'm back to proper work

Are you going to the Scotland game in Aviva? I am too, really excited :)
    I actually also have psoriasis. Thanks for that. I'll chat to my doc as well!

I know two adults with psoriasis who use sunbeds as treatments, and it seems to work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I use them sometimes for psoriasis, I've discussed the risks/benefits with my GP, and he's happy for me to use them in moderation once I'm aware of the risks. My psoriasis is bad enough to badly effect the quality of my life if it's not kept under control, and he said that using them for maybe six weeks, 3x a week, twice a year, is no worse than going for two sun holidays a year in terms of risk of skin cancer. They really work for me, and they don't damage the skin in the same way a lot of the steroid creams do (and the creams are only short-term fixes anyways.)

Do you find that it helps? I have psoriasis, but what I was reading on line implied that sun beds were the wrong wavelength. If it is working for you, I might give it a try! How long do you spend in the sun bed each session?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

LenaClaire wrote: »
    Do you find that it helps? I have psoriasis, but what I was reading on line implied that sun beds were the wrong wavelength. If it is working for you, I might give it a try! How long do you spend in the sun bed each session?

I definitely find it helps a lot.

I've done the proper hospital UVA treatment in the past, also. The reason that this is better than the sunbeds is because it only uses UVA rays and not UVB ones (the harmful ones), whereas normal sunbeds have both. Problem is, it's logistically difficult to get out of work three times a week during working hours and travel to the hospital, plus it's very expensive if it's not covered by health insurance. So normal sunbeds - while they have more potential to harm the skin - are the next best thing, and actually I find them even more effective. Also it's very cheap, and they have convenient opening hours.

It's best to start off at around 3-4 minutes and build up to maybe 6-7 minutes, depending on your skin type. I'd tend to do it in six-week sessions of three times a week, then take a good long break before going again. You ideally should never burn while using them, although you'll obviously notice a bit of a tan developing.

It's a personal choice because, as everyone knows, sunbeds increase your risk of skin cancer. However if you're sensible about it, and don't do it all year around, to me it's worth the risk. For what it's worth, my GP told me it's the route he'd go down himself if he suffered from psoriasis.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you going to the Scotland game in Aviva? I am too, really excited :)

No, I've got tickets for Ireland v Romania and Ireland v Italy in the Rugby World Cup! Couldn't get them earlier because I had no idea what my shift pattern for volunteering at it would be, got the Italy game ticket from a fellow volunteer, and bought the Romania one online

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

No, I've got tickets for Ireland v Romania and Ireland v Italy in the Rugby World Cup! Couldn't get them earlier because I had no idea what my shift pattern for volunteering at it would be, got the Italy game ticket from a fellow volunteer, and bought the Romania one online

I'm going to the Romania game too, can't wait. :D

Me too - Romania, Italy and France. We can't be arsed making more than one Cardiff trip :pac:

My parents are coming over for the Italy game too, they haven't been in London in a year and a half :)

Me too - Romania, Italy and France. We can't be arsed making more than one Cardiff trip :pac:

My parents are coming over for the Italy game too, they haven't been in London in a year and a half :)

We'll have to have a boards meet up at one of the games

I couldn't be bothered treking to Cardiff!! Ireland France will be a cracking game

We're getting the Munster supporters club bus up for the France game (even though I'm a Leinster fan), no fecking around with driving or trains or accomodation. Seemed like the handy option!

How so Joe wrote: »
    Good luck with the job interview today Purple Pawprints.

I'm such a good grownup.

I was forced to sit down and spend a few hours planning work and deadlines yesterday... Difference is unreal, feel a lot nore in control of the situation now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Och, life is so hurty right now.

Das Kitty wrote: »

biggest hugs in the world xxxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,182 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Seconded! x

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wow enjoy :) Apparently there are still tickets available for all the Ireland games, I'm trying to figure out if it would be anyway reasonable to get to one :)

And more from me x

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

From me four, hope all's ok

Edit - just realised what's happened. So so sorry for your loss. Thoughts are with you and your family x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Oh DK, I'm so sorry. All the hugs. X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Nothing I can say can make it better. But hugs and lots of them. Thinking of you and your family in these tough times.

All the hugs for you and yours right now.

Oh, Das, I'm so sorry. Will be thinking of you and your family. x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm so sorry DK. Thoughts are with you and your family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I'm so sorry Das, thinking of you xx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Only just seeing this now DK, I'm so sorry x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I'm very sorry for your loss, DK. Thinking of you and your family.x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭shalalala

Lots of hugs. Be kind to yourself x

Thoughts are with you dk x

• Advertisement

If people don't mind I've a question and don't mean to detract from Das Kittys loss.

I recently decided I'd like to take up golf, and booked a lesson to see how I got on. Now as a hobby I took up sailing two years ago, and still do it, but not this year as it's massively timem consuming and I'm finishing a masters so in thesis land.

Now I grew up in the midlands so sailing which might be considered a bit of a snobby sport wouldn't register with most people in the midlands.

I updated my facebook tonight to say I had a golf lesson, and got a message from my mother saying, "I see you have joined the elite, playing golf, good luck" In my hometown, golf would have been seen as the pursuit of very few, who were generally well off.

Does that not sound a bit bitter, or am I reading too much into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Stheno wrote:
    I updated my facebook tonight to say I had a golf lesson, and got a message from my mother saying, "I see you have joined the elite, playing golf, good luck" In my hometown, golf would have been seen as the pursuit of very few, who were generally well off.
    Does that not sound a bit bitter, or am I reading too much into it?

I think it probably depends on your mother's personality. If my mom said that I'd take as a light hearted comment similar to "I've just got a pay rise" being responded to with something like "oh its well for some :)". On the other hand, if other people said that to me it could be taken as them acting like I thought I was too good for them. I wouldn't worry too much either way, enjoy the golf. I've never played. Tried pitch and putt for the first time a few weeks ago. I won't say how many attempts it took me to actually make any sort of contact with the ball! :)

SillyBeans wrote: »
    I think it probably depends on your mother's personality. If my mom said that I'd take as a light hearted comment similar to "I've just got a pay rise" being responded to with something like "oh its well for some :)". On the other hand, if other people said that to me it could be taken as them acting like I thought I was too good for them. I wouldn't worry too much either way, enjoy the golf. I've never played. Tried pitch and putt for the first time a few weeks ago. I won't say how many attempts it took me to actually make any sort of contact with the ball! :)

Nah she once learned how much I earned and was disgusted as opposed to pleased as it was more than my dad ever earned.

When I split up from my ex, she declared that I should hand over the house to him and pay the mortgage as he deserved it putting up with me :confused:

She's a little resentful sometimes. I'm genuinely not sure if she means me well, or if she is having a swipe, haven't seen her for a couple of years as we don't get on tbh, so it seems like a swipe.

It took me three attempts to hit the ball today at the start, would that be considered good? Out of about 30 shots I didn't hit it five times.

Not bad for a first attempt, good idea would be to get the plastic balls so you can try and hit them outside, so that they don't travel far and you can't break anything! Don't try for a full swing, just to make good contact with the ball.

Its on my bucket list to do, to play a full round. I've gone out plenty of times to driving ranges, but don't have my clubs in the UK so can't do it here. Took a friend of mine who had never even picked up a club to mini golf during a day out in Southend, it was so funny watching her hit it.

Not bad for a first attempt, good idea would be to get the plastic balls so you can try and hit them outside, so that they don't travel far and you can't break anything! Don't try for a full swing, just to make good contact with the ball.

Its on my bucket list to do, to play a full round. I've gone out plenty of times to driving ranges, but don't have my clubs in the UK so can't do it here. Took a friend of mine who had never even picked up a club to mini golf during a day out in Southend, it was so funny watching her hit it.

I had a deadly time, after the first two duds, I'd a good run, even got a few balls to go 70 feet plus, so I was there watching the ball to see where it would land :o

Beginners luck I reckon, off to the driving range with me next week.

I've a lot of colleagues and friends who play so it would be fun to do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

I played for about five years when I was younger. Best way to ruin a perfectly good walk. ;)

I'd ignore the comment from your mam and see if you enjoy golf. Clearly I don't. :D

I had a deadly time, after the first two duds, I'd a good run, even got a few balls to go 70 feet plus, so I was there watching the ball to see where it would land :o

Beginners luck I reckon, off to the driving range with me next week.

I've a lot of colleagues and friends who play so it would be fun to do

Keep at it though, you will keep improving! I realised the same at work after I put up a picture of me at the driving range that there are a fair few golfers. My problem is my driver, distance isn't bad but its keeping a consistent swing so it always goes straight :)

Even if you don't go and actually play rounds, heading out to the driving range and hitting balls is a good relaxer - nothing like the sound of a perfect contact on a driver!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I think I'd like to start playing golf. My dad tried to teach my brothers but neither of them were interested and he didn't bother with me. Despite that, I'm the only one who follows it! I'm a big Rickie Fowler fan! I reckon that I'd be a disaster at playing though. Coordination is not my friend!

I think I'd like to start playing golf. My dad tried to teach my brothers but neither of them were interested and he didn't bother with me. Despite that, I'm the only one who follows it! I'm a big Rickie Fowler fan! I reckon that I'd be a disaster at playing though. Coordination is not my friend!

Are you around North Dublin?

Are you around North Dublin?

Wicklow

I used to go to driving ranges back home. Great craic.

Dunno where there are any I'm Dublin on a public transport route though

I'm seeing a day out here to pitch and putt or a range here?

I wouldn't say no though with work and study I don't know if I'd be free to do it!

I'd love to do that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,953 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Ignore your mother I think! That reeks of jealousy to me.

I have my own set of clubs and was a member of a 9 hole closer for a few years. I'd have had loads of practice the past few years if I didn't have an injury.

If ye every get a chance, play footgolf. It's great craic!

• Advertisement
Advertisement