Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

I've a wedding next week, this reminds me I need to check out my shapewear. :p

Had an unexpectedly stressful day at work - thrown into working in an area I've had very little training in because everyone else that can do it was either sick or on annual leave. But it did generate some really lovely comments from my boss (including one about still being with the company in a year) and another manager. I've only been with the company 2 months so even though it was stressful, I think I've proven to them that I'll be worth keeping around at the end of my contract. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

What's that like? Getting nice comments from your boss?

We have a back log of finished product at work and I've been doing double the work every few days to try and get rid of it quicker.
    It makes less work for me in the long run if I can get extra stuff done before some of my solutions expire and have to remake them etc.
    Never get a word of thanks from my boss for doing it. Must ask for a raise at the end of it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

That sucks sammyjo, it's not a nice thing to kill yourself working on something for no recognition. At least it's to benefit you though, and not someone else. :)

Just means i dont do double the work for absolutely no reason.
    Benefits the company more so than me, looks good to the big wigs if we hit our targets quicker. The lab is getting a lot of grief from them these days

I duno about shapewear but one of my favourite dresses always rides up when I walk which is a shame ;(
    it's too short then so i have to go around pulling it down looking daft

Just to quickly go back to what Stheno was saying earlier about making friends.
    I saw this yesterday and it reminded me of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

I love that! It's so difficult to make friends once you're out of education and all your friends spread out across the world :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I've been living in dublint a year and I've made 1 friend only because I went on date with her and didn't realise it was a date til half way through :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I have to wear shapewear if I'm dressing up at all now because even after losing nearly 2.5 stone the post-baby wobble is something else :( I just saw an ad for local post-natal yoga and they have a crèche as well, definitely doing it!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

On the way home from the wedding, fab day, ended up seated beside a lady that I clicked with and we literally spent the entire time chatting about life and the universe, swapped mails and said we'd keep in touch

Got asked if I'd like to meet up for coffee by someone else two

Seems friends might be like busses?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

We've gone down hugely as a school so nearly guaranteed OFSTED will be calling early in the year. Whole department is kinda depressed, weird results with some students who were getting secure B's and C's in mocks ending up with lower grades. Gone down 5% in our subject results from last year, and the headteacher has blanked our head of department a number of times already this morning, which is really petty, given that my HOD has had a really tough time in her personal life recently. This is the part of this job I hate, that we are so results driven and some students just are not good enough to succeed.

Our A*-C incl M+E is now 38....OFSTED almost certain. Kind of glad coz when they come in the problems they find won't be with teaching if ya know what I mean!!!

Stheno I don;t understand the question you asked me :o:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Way too many uncomfortable emotions right now. A mixture of PMS, jealousy that my siblings are going to/returning to college, and bitterness that my college experience was not good and is over. My brother seems to be having the best years ever. My sister is only starting so she has a blank slate.

Seriously feeling the lack of friends and a social life right now. Isolation is not nice. :(

Way too many uncomfortable emotions right now. A mixture of PMS, jealousy that my siblings are going to/returning to college, and bitterness that my college experience was not good and is over. My brother seems to be having the best years ever. My sister is only starting so she has a blank slate.

Seriously feeling the lack of friends and a social life right now. Isolation is not nice. :(

Are you me? Feeling very similar. I miss having little milestones to reach like you do when you're in college. You always have something to look forward to (Xmas, Easter, Summer, new college year, repeat) plus it's so easy to make friends and have a large social circle. At the moment I don't have any of my close friends within about 3 hours of me. I have some friends kinda close (maybe 40 mins) but they're not best buds. Being an adult sucks. I need to make a personal 'friends wanted' ad :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Aw s&s, a big hug for you! We all have those moments I think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I'm feeling exactly the same these days. I've got nothing to look forward to, just plenty to dread. My brothers are living it up and I'm exceptionally jealous of the one living in London because I was always meant to be the city goer. I can't even get motivated for the exams these days so I'm pretty much totally and utterly useless.

Hopefully we'll get to Blackhall soon S&S and that's meant to be well worth the wait! :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ah guys sorry to hear you are not feeling great.
    Hopefully things will get better soon

Stheno wrote: »
    Ah guys sorry to hear you are not feeling great.
    Hopefully things will get better soon

Teach us oh wise one! You're the queen of making friends lately :)

SillyBeans wrote: »
    Teach us oh wise one! You're the queen of making friends lately :)

Ah now, that's a fluke I think :)

I'm sitting here with a college assignment due, and losing the will to do it :)

I just bought my very first vroom vroom :eek:

• Advertisement

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    I just bought my very first vroom vroom :eek:

Congratulations, what did you get?

07 opel corsa,
    nice little hatchback for myself :)
    Still cant believe it.. i've been putting it off for like a year!

07 opel corsa,

Well wear, you won't know yourself!

Oh I know, I'm gonna get sooo fat. I only bring as much food as I can carry..now ill have a whole boot to fill :pac:

Meep meep! First cars are so exciting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

07 opel corsa,
    Ah, I got my first car last year, same make, model and year! It's a nice first car :)

• Advertisement

My first car was a wee Feshty. I was very fond of her bit she would fit into the boot of my current car :D

Well wear and safe driving!

yay car

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Went to Bournemouth today, ended up having two proper ocean swims and playing in the water and the air show was on. It was amazing!!! Royal Marines did this live exercise boarding a pirate shop, Red Arrows did a display and the legendary Vulcan can out and did a proper fly through. So many videos to go through from my phone. Only downside is that I'm scorched in random patches on my arm and face, nothing on my legs though and and I feel really crappy as I was out last night with a few friends, two of whom are leaving for new jobs, so only got a few hours sleep plus the sunburn makes me an unhappy rebel

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I've had a long study session today and am working all day tomorrow so I want to take tonight as an easy night for myself with just Netflix for company. I can't find anything to watch though! Does anyone have any recommendations? In just looking for something fun and easy. Is Empire Records any good?

I've had a long study session today and am working all day tomorrow so I want to take tonight as an easy night for myself with just Netflix for company. I can't find anything to watch though! Does anyone have any recommendations? In just looking for something fun and easy. Is Empire Records any good?

miss fisher's murder mysteries is brilliant!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've been watching "Dragons: Race To The Edge". It's the series based off "How To Train Your Dragon". I really like it!

300 words to go and my assignment is done.

I fooking hate Harvard referencing.

edit: done. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Finally got around to watching Love, Rosie
    Love the book it was based on, cried like a baby!!!!

Started watching Party Down, it's CLASS

Fricking love that show. I love Adam Scott too
    Are we having fun yet!?

I love Adam Scott and Lizzie Caplan is the absolute bomb. Hadn't even heard of the show before watching it at the weekend!

Feck this rain anyway lads

*wrings out shoes*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

Feck this rain anyway lads

*wrings out shoes*

I concur. This morning lured me into a false sense of security and I didn't bring an umberella. Rookie mistake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

No coat, no umbrella, but I did wear relatively sturdy shoes today? Small mercies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

God I am never prepared for the rain! I do admit I don't bother watching the weather forecast and barely check it online or on the app. It was nice when I left the house this morning so I wore open toe heels and a light long sleeved top. At least I wore trousers so my legs are warm-ish.

• Advertisement

Penneys pumps, no jacket, no umbrella. Had to go out at lunch. I mean really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I usually work from home when the weather is gross, but we have some senior execs in visiting, so have to wear my grown up clothes and drudge out into the rain :o

At least is has finally cleared up here, so I won't get soaked again on way home. It is sunny and mild, as if this morning never happened...

Taking a big deep breath and planning to save one-third of my monthly net salary from now on. Heading to the credit union on Thursday to get it all set up.

This is common sense stuff, I know, but for a lot of reasons it's a big deal for me. Scared! But excited at the opportunities it will bring.

Would be really interested to hear about balancing costs/spending/savings from anyone else who cares to share.

I need to get the finger out with my savings too. Did really well this month, saved 54% to be exact! However I've just decided to move house where I'll be doubling my rent and living closer to bars, restaurants, shops so I'll be lucky to save anything at all the next few months with deposits and the like. I really begrudge paying rent but don't want to stay in my current location so no point buying at the moment. Being a grown up sucks!

Yep that's part of my problem, v central in Dublin so have a chunk of rent and daily pottering about can be expensive! I was earning peanuts while living in cheaper parts of the country so have nothing to show for that period of time either.

I tend to save by making a list of meals I want to make over the next while and getting the ingredients for them. Then I work out what else I could make with similar ingredients before they go out of date. I then do a massive Aldi/Lidl shop to last a couple of weeks usually and just top up the short life stuff. I added up my outgoings a few months back and in that month had spent 600 quid on random trips to the shop for a few bits and bobs that added up to 20 or 30 yoyos each time. That gave me the kick up the rear I needed!

Apart from that I take advantage of 2 for 1 cinema offers, specials when I eat out (only if I like the meal!), I don't really drink, don't smoke. My car is cheap to run. I've paid off tax/insurance in one go rather than every few months. I cancelled my gym membership as I wasn't using it. Youtube vids FTW! I buy books in charity shops. I've put myself on a clothes spending ban until I loose my chubbyness! Most of this just happens as I hate wasting money, not from any great desire to be frugal. I do need to step away from ebay and the likes though. The amount of rubbish I buy on there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I would consider myself good with money. I don't buy expensive clothes, or fritter away money on magazines or takeouts etc. I mainly control the finances in our house (it is left to me really cos I'm an accountant). I really should set up a proper savings plan. I have money saved away but interest rates are so poor at the minute I feel like blowing it all on a new car, I might actually get more benefit from it! I am good and don't spend all my wages (I understand that this is a lucky position to be in) - but I just leave the money in my current account instead of transferring it to savings. I also must set up a pension but haven't got around to that yet either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I put a third of wages into a bills account every week, and my bills come out of that with plenty left over for actual savings. It's working pretty well so far but I'll be moving soon and if I have to find a new place in Dublin I'll definitely be paying more rent. I got into the habit of saving while I was still a teenager so I find it reassuring to know that whatever is left over after that is mine to spend as I wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

For a fortnight or a month write down every little thing you spend money on. It's a real eye opener and shows where you can cut down on spending.

• Advertisement

^yep that and taking a close look at the my online banking. I have gotten pretty good at cutting down unnecessary or trivial spending over the last while, but then making a couple of big purchases towards the end of the month when I see money in the account...! Now I'm ready to really hammer at the savings.

My parents are fcking disasters, and I do mean DISASTERS, with money, so I learned really bad behaviour from them. Not sure I can explain why it took it took me until 29 to correct that... But still. Better late than pregnant!

Advertisement