Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭sunshine and showers

Taking a big deep breath and planning to save one-third of my monthly net salary from now on. Heading to the credit union on Thursday to get it all set up.

This is common sense stuff, I know, but for a lot of reasons it's a big deal for me. Scared! But excited at the opportunities it will bring.

Would be really interested to hear about balancing costs/spending/savings from anyone else who cares to share.

Have you looked at regular savers accounts? There are decent (enough) interest rates if you look. I used to have savings in the CU as a teen, but my mam moved me to Rabbo Direct as it wasn't making a thing sitting in the Credit Union.

Now that I'm grown up (lol :P) and manage my own savings (which is really mostly still my communion money...) I noticed that the Rabbo rates had become crap. So I set one of these up with KBC. 3% rate, up to €1,000 a month savings, can take breaks if you can't afford it two months per year, and there's no notice/penalties for taking it out if you need it.

I also like the AIB online savings accounts. There's no real interest to be earned, but you have to give notice to withdraw (7 or 21 days depending on account) so it becomes harder to get at! Have a decent amount in the 7 day one I've had for a few years from saving when I've been working (like a few hundred quid should I decide I need/want a trip, something more expensive - means I have to really think about it!). I also just set up a 21 day notice one to help with my slimming efforts. I'm putting in a tenner for every pound lost. When I get to goal, I am going to blow it all on a new wardrobe! :D

Edit: AIB also has a terrifying new feature that breaks down your spending/saving for the month/whatever period you want to look at it. Scares me right out of excess spending when I take a look - especially as it categorises what you've spent it on!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Hmm that is a good point, I hadn't really thought beyond the CU. I'll have a look at other savings options. I do like the way the CU operates though and saved my skin twice in the past when I was very stuck for money and no bank would approve a loan. So there's a few things to think about there.

Edit: Oh and I have a BOI online savings account, but for a paltry amount per month, which is there for draining when I have a car emergency or unexpected medical bill or similar - my 'broken tooth fund' !

Hmm that is a good point, I hadn't really thought beyond the CU. I'll have a look at other savings options. I do like the way the CU operates though and saved my skin twice in the past when I was very stuck for money and no bank would approve a loan. So there's a few things to think about there.

If you're looking towards future mortgages and loans, and even in general, it's best not to put all yours eggs in one basket, so to speak.

I still have a small bit of money in my local CU to keep my options open with them. Then I've KBC and AIB accounts, as god knows who will be giving out monies when I eventually try to get on the property ladder and I'd like to be in the good(ish) books of more than one player.

(Savings, etc, are a big deal in my house. My parents are epic savers and often dole out life advice at the dinner table.)

(Savings, etc, are a big deal in my house. My parents are epic savers and often dole out life advice at the dinner table.)

Jealous! I love my mom but man is she crap with money ... Yet she is full of advice

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Yep that's part of my problem, v central in Dublin so have a chunk of rent and daily pottering about can be expensive! I was earning peanuts while living in cheaper parts of the country so have nothing to show for that period of time either.

I've been lucky in that my rent and bills in total was only 12% of my take home pay. This new place will work out at around 27% (I should have been an accountant, I spend far too much time working stuff like that out!) which is still decent. Just sickened I didn't use that cheap rent as an incentive to save.

To be fair, I did give my mother some money as she was short so that took a chunk out of my savings. Plus I bought a washing machine, hoover, fridge freezer, couches, wardrobe, bedside tables, bookshelf etc in the past year so I'm probably not doing too badly. My parents are woeful with money so I've always had the fear of god in me about leaving myself short. Oddly I probably saved more when I was making half of what I am now!!

By the way, does anyone here make a lot more than their boyfriend/husband/partner/girlfriend/wife and absolutely hate it?? I feel guilty having a lot more disposable income than he does :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SillyBeans wrote: »

By the way, does anyone here make a lot more than their boyfriend/husband/partner/girlfriend/wife and absolutely hate it?? I feel guilty having a lot more disposable income than he does :(

I do but I don't mind it tbh, it's not something that bothers either of us. That said, I would pay significantly more for holidays/nights out etc. And I'd cover stuff like health insurance and the likes as well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Tigger99 wrote: »
    For a fortnight or a month write down every little thing you spend money on. It's a real eye opener and shows where you can cut down on spending.

I have an app that I do this on religiously. If I've spent it, I have to write it down so it means that 1. I always know exactly how much money I have and 2. I always know exactly how much money I've wasted. It definitely makes you more aware and helps you keep aware of your money situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

There is a spider the size of my hand in the living room. If I get eaten in my sleep tonight you all need to spread the word that I died fighting. (And by fighting, I mean putting a towel at the bottom of the living room door to minimise escape possibilities.)

DEFCON 1!!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    There is a spider the size of my hand in the living room. If I get eaten in my sleep tonight you all need to spread the word that I died fighting. (And by fighting, I mean putting a towel at the bottom of the living room door to minimise escape possibilities.)

DEFCON 1!!!!

We've a couple in one of the downstairs loos that built webs but appear to have expired.

I'm waiting for the resident ants to haul them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

This one is about 10cm in diameter. Im terrified. Text my housemate to tell him why there was a towel on the floor inside our front door and all he has done is laugh. And threatened to put it in my bedroom.

• Advertisement

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    This one is about 10cm in diameter. Im terrified. Text my housemate to tell him why there was a towel on the floor inside our front door and all he has done is laugh. And threatened to put it in my bedroom.

OUrs were about half that.

They were quite entertaining to watch :)

If you don't like spiders though I can imagine they be horrifying

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

We were doing some garden work at the weekend and I was tidying up outside our back gate and came across this cool looking spider. A couple of the neighbours' kids were going around nearby so I called them over to show them the spider, telling them about how cool spiders are and how important they are. I then put it up in a tree and thought no more of it.

Scrolling through facebook today I saw a photo of said spider. Fcuking false widow. Ooooh my god. It was walking up the trowel towards my hand. I was holding it under four year olds' noses!

Anyway. Off to blowtorch a tree.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    We were doing some garden work at the weekend and I was tidying up outside our back gate and came across this cool looking spider. A couple of the neighbours' kids were going around nearby so I called them over to show them the spider, telling them about how cool spiders are and how important they are. I then put it up in a tree and thought no more of it.

Scrolling through facebook today I saw a photo of said spider. Fcuking false widow. Ooooh my god. It was walking up the trowel towards my hand. I was holding it under four year olds' noses!

Yikes!

p.s. Hope you are doing ok these past couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Stheno wrote: »
    We've a couple in one of the downstairs loos that built webs but appear to have expired.

I'm waiting for the resident ants to haul them off.

See now, I'd be way more freaked out by the ants than the spider!

I hate spiders!!!!! If I see one in my bedroom I can't sleep in there until he's been removed. I've spent many a night snoozing on the couch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I had to learn to whack my own bugs when I lived alone. It isn't really an issue these days!

When do we get summer back? I'm getting really sick of this rainy ****e with a bank holiday weekend coming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

I'm fine with bugs and spiders, for the most part, as long as they're not jumping on me or anything. What I can't deal with - at all - is mice. There's one living in my boyfriend's flat, and I've descended to the stage of refusing to visit until he gets rid of the little git. Several sleepless nights of abject terror got to be too much for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I thought I was clever hovering up the spiders last year. Til I put the hoover back in under the stairs and half an hour later seen same big spider in front of the door under the stairs alive and well.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I had to learn to whack my own bugs when I lived alone. It isn't really an issue these days!

When do we get summer back? I'm getting really sick of this rainy ****e with a bank holiday weekend coming!

We had a fire evacuation from our building into the pouring rain, luckily we found some shelter nearby, then I got absolutely soaked while out at lunch time hence why I am now sitting in the office wearing a Galway ladies goalkeepers jersye and shorts because I had my training kit for tonight with me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

It's amazing how bad I managed to look for my graduation even after I made an effort and got my hair and make-up done. How is that even possible? God, being in a work environment with only women is so toxic. Another girl is leaving, that's two in the space of a six months due to having issues with a girl/ work environment whose been their ages. The other girl left because she hated the place too. The next few weeks are going to be a joy; we're down another person and under even more stress. I expect the manager will be on the war path now. If she starts hassling me I'm just going to leave. I should come into work and leave work upset. I hate this drama and b*tchiness that exists in the environment I work in. It's so much pointless stress. I don't want to be consumed by that and become that. Can't wait to leave, I only wish I could do it sooner.

• Advertisement

I had an unexpected half day this afternoon and oh was also off
    we were lazy, chilled out for a few hours, had a lovely dinner and just relaxed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

It's amazing how bad I managed to look for my graduation even after I made an effort and got my hair and make-up done. How is that even possible? God, being in a work environment with only women is so toxic. Another girl is leaving, that's two in the space of a six months due to having issues with a girl/ work environment whose been their ages. The other girl left because she hated the place too. The next few weeks are going to be a joy; we're down another person and under even more stress. I expect the manager will be on the war path now. If she starts hassling me I'm just going to leave. I should come into work and leave work upset. I hate this drama and b*tchiness that exists in the environment I work in. It's so much pointless stress. I don't want to be consumed by that and become that. Can't wait to leave, I only wish I could do it sooner.

I feel the exact same, except my workplace is predominantly male. I handed in my notice, I was dreading going in everyday. It's not worth the stress, and if you have experience you'll find something else soon enough :)

Ugh the office is roasting

Has anyone spent new years in Paris? Any tips?

Has anyone spent new years in Paris? Any tips?

I haven't but I'm happy for you to pay for me to go and try it out for you and report back :D

Yeah totes I'll book the flights for you there now sure!

Yeah totes I'll book the flights for you there now sure!

Yay!

I've been there in November and it was lovely. Never been for the actual New Year though. It'll be absolutely baltic freezing there!

Yeah and apparently Disneyland is so jammers it's pretty much a no-go! That was the original plan but may rethink now. Oh well. Such troubles to have!

I was in Disneyland in the November and it was actually fairly quiet. Got very busy when they had the fireworks but the next day I barely had to queue. I'd imagine it would be a lot worse over the Xmas/New Year break though with all the kiddies off school. I'd like to go to New York for New Years some time :)

• Advertisement

I have this really irritating problem where every time I sit down to study, I start falling asleep. I mean, I come over all exhausted like I've been awake for three days and my entire body feels drained and my eyes start closing themselves. It's really annoying. Caffeine isn't helping. :(

I'm eating a healthy diet and getting sleep at night. I'm fine doing anything else but studying and then my stupid brain tries to put me to sleep. Worst coping mechanism for stress ever. :(

I have this really irritating problem where every time I sit down to study, I start falling asleep. I mean, I come over all exhausted like I've been awake for three days and my entire body feels drained and my eyes start closing themselves. It's really annoying. Caffeine isn't helping.

I had the same problem recently. Only thing that sorted it was making a list of all the things I needed to do and when I'd do them so that I wasn't stressed and sitting with the tv off and no music on. I was still struggling a bit so ive been taking multivitamins and whether it's a placebo or not my concentration is much better now

Ugh, yet another day where I wish I could just quit my job! People are such miserable bastids. Feck off with your negativity!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Spending the second half of my bank holiday weekend studying. What is my life.

Although I did go for a Mexican brunch yesterday and had many margaritas, and my first ever breakfast burrito. Really enjoyed it once I got past the whole "there's egg in my burrito" thing.

Mo Farah's face as he came down the final straight to win the 5,000m has actually made my day. Those buggy eyes! What a guy!

misslt wrote: »
    Spending the second half of my bank holiday weekend studying. What is my life.

Although I did go for a Mexican brunch yesterday and had many margaritas, and my first ever breakfast burrito. Really enjoyed it once I got past the whole "there's egg in my burrito" thing.

65 pages of ruin theory :mad:
    might take a break soon and gym

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Long time no talk, everyone!

Have had a minor career change - still medical, but makes me much, much happier.

I've been busy, then sick for a while, and now much, much better.

Himself has continued to take excellent care of me. :)

How are you all?

Point of major importance: It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia is amazing. :D

PR! Hello! o/

PR! Hello! o/

Hello!

I missed all you interwebz buddies.

Did I miss anything? Realised tonight I've been offline since April.

The horror!:eek:

Well, I've decided to grow out my hair...

See? My life has already been enriched by my return to The Glorious Lounge.

I send hearty congratulations, and wish you healthy, flowing locks.

• Advertisement

See? My life has already been enriched by my return to The Glorious Lounge.

I send hearty congratulations, and wish you healthy, flowing locks.

I cut all mine off

Stheno wrote: »
    I cut all mine off

And I'm sure your scalp glistens.

As we're sharing, my hair is roughly the same length as it has been for years and years.

I might grow it a bit. I'd make a fantastic hippy.

I was going to cut all mine off, but then a wee girl at my younlad's school donated hers to Rapunzel there on Friday. So Now I'm going to grow it that final inch before getting it sliced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Hi PR! Lovely to see you. Glad you've found something career wise to make you happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

As ye know, I chopped mine off about 8 weeks ago. My best friends daughter said it was nice when she saw it first. Well it seems she's had a change of heart. This weekend she told me she thought I was silly coz to be a princess you have to have long hair. She is sad that I can't be a princess!

Child logic is great!

Mars Bar wrote: »
    As ye know, I chopped mine off about 8 weeks ago. My best friends daughter said it was nice when she saw it first. Well it seems she's had a change of heart. This weekend she told me she thought I was silly coz to be a princess you have to have long hair. She is sad that I can't be a princess!

Child logic is great!

Ahem. Princess Rapunzel? She didn't start ruling until she'd split with that mane that was weighing her down.

1203628_1365648732667_full.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Ahem. Princess Rapunzel? She didn't start ruling until she'd split with that mane that was weighing her down.

Thank you!

Will it be mean if I go back to a 4 year old and said "TOLD YA SO!!"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Thank you!

Will it be mean if I went back to a 4 year old and said "TOLD YA SO!!"?
    Only if you add "Nya nya nya nya nya!"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Do I really have to go back to work tomorrow???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

^ this.

The only thing worse than Sunday night fear is Bank holiday Monday night fear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement