Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Have to go to work to listen to a load of sh*te being spouted - pretty annoyed at our headteacher how she treated our head of department, so what if our results were down, wasn't through lack of effort that is one sure thing!

We have 30 mins of her going on about culture of excellence - well attention to detail wouldn't go amiss on our website and documents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I'm shocked with things that happen in education. Just heard an item on the news about how a load of new recruits to primary education still don't know where they will be teaching or what class, and school starts tomorrow here. How's that fair to the teachers or the students?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Not unheard of Irish teachers interviewing for a job and starting the next day.

UK is all about results, secret teachers by the guardian had a great piece this week about a bead of departments resigning over results despite her and her department giving up so much extra time to the kids, cutting family holidays short to do extra revision classes

I didn't cut my hair but I need to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

Have to go to work to listen to a load of sh*te being spouted - pretty annoyed at our headteacher how she treated our head of department, so what if our results were down, wasn't through lack of effort that is one sure thing!

We have 30 mins of her going on about culture of excellence - well attention to detail wouldn't go amiss on our website and documents.

I'm back Wednesday, no doubt to the same thing. I'm so ready for when someone who is overpaid and underworked decides to criticize the results me partner teacher and I got for out year 11 groups. COME AT ME!!!

:o Not even back and I'm on the defensive.

Currently designing lessons...on a bank holiday...when I don't have work tomorrow...loser alert.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

I need to chop the hair too. Nothing makes you feel refreshed and motivated like new hair!

Ugh work. Let's all win the Euro millions and retire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I totally need to chop mine - post partum hair loss has arrived with a bang and I have all these little wispy bits that keep tickling my face and driving me CRAZY!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I have a hair appointment on thursday :P

its waay past my boobs now. hasnt been that long since about 2006!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm getting mine tidied up again tomorrow. I've spent more money on my hair in the past 8 weeks than I have in the past 2 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Something is wrong with me, I'm permanently wrecked.

Think it's a hectic work schedule and having the final years of a Masters to cope with and very little time off since feb.

I'm so fricking tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Not unheard of Irish teachers interviewing for a job and starting the next day.

UK is all about results, secret teachers by the guardian had a great piece this week about a bead of departments resigning over results despite her and her department giving up so much extra time to the kids, cutting family holidays short to do extra revision classes
    But in Ireland don't you know what class you're interviewing for? In France, it's a competition system. The previous year, you compete in an exam and interview to be a primary teacher. If you get accepted, you can teach in any class. So not knowing what class you will be teaching til the day before means you can't prepare anything.
    Yeah I listen to BBC4 radio a fair bit and they talk about that results culture. It seems very difficult for teachers.

Anyone else feel like there's not enough hours in the day? So much to do and then I blink and it's bedtime and I've done nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Went the a driving range last night for the craic, my first time ever. I was boiling with frustration leaving the place! I was WOEFUL. Gonna get lessons I think.

Also, jaysus, that story about the nanny from Cavan would break your heart. The poor woman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I'm up the North with my sister. There's a hairdresser beside her. It's walk in and they charge 15 quid for a wash cut and blow dry or 20 for colour.

I'm gonna head in a few mins see how the queue is.

My hair is an absolute mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I've a friend who works as a hairdresser from home and charges similar prices, it's so handy!

She also does my nails, Shellac manicure for a tenner each time. Speaking of which, I badly need to get them done ... they're grown out nearly halfway down already, and I only got them done a couple of weeks ago. I always hear other people complaining about their hair/nails growing too slowly, I have the opposite problem!

• Advertisement

I feel like I've forgotten how to be a girl. Can't remember the last time I did my nails or got my hair done or put on fake tan (not that not doing any of these makes you less of a girl...you all know what I mean!). I used to be quite girly with those things but work has been so manic lately that everything else has fallen by the way side. I drank for the first time in about 5 months on Saturday. I was never a heavy drinker but I'd head out maybe every second weekend. I've become lazy in my old age. My BF is so lucky :p

SillyBeans wrote: »
    I feel like I've forgotten how to be a girl. Can't remember the last time I did my nails or got my hair done or put on fake tan (not that not doing any of these makes you less of a girl...you all know what I mean!). I used to be quite girly with those things but work has been so manic lately that everything else has fallen by the way side. I drank for the first time in about 5 months on Saturday. I was never a heavy drinker but I'd head out maybe every second weekend. I've become lazy in my old age. My BF is so lucky :p

Samesies! I absolutely cannot fathom going to a nightclub or for any sort of social excursion outside of quiet pints or a chilled gig...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

Samesies! I absolutely cannot fathom going to a nightclub or for any sort of social excursion outside of quiet pints or a chilled gig...

Oh, now I have a craving for a sunny afternoon and a nice beer garden...

Oohh my hair so pretty.

I got 4 inches off my hair and dyed it a much darker red.

I love it and it was only £20.

pictures! :D

it is complete madness but I want it... http://www.malagalway.com/product/cavallo-leather-messenger/

• Advertisement

It's looking way more brown at the mo. Don't think I like it.

This always happens :o

Lads I am PLAGUED with spots on my jawline and just below it. Is it true they're hormone-related?

They're sore and ugly AF. Help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Lads I am PLAGUED with spots on my jawline and just below it. Is it true they're hormone-related?

They're sore and ugly AF. Help?

Could be hormone-related, could also be stress or diet ... however I seem to remember reading that ones around your jawline are usually to do with hormones. Would you have started/changed contraception recently? Or any chance you might be preggers? (I got loads of random spots when I was!)

Well I had the copper coil fitted a few months ago, but I wasn't on the pill before that so I wouldn't have thought that could cause it. Hopefully it'll just settle soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Since I released my book on Amazon I've had two people come up to me in the pub telling me they want to write their own novel. One of them I knew was a writer, he has his own blog. He's a German man settled in Ireland who blogs for German people interested in life abroad. The other guy has an interesting history, and they're both interested in writing a crime novel/thriller steeped in Irish history.

I suggested to them we start a writing group in the pub. It'd be three of us, who chat fairly regularly after work over a few beers anyway so it wouldn't be as competitive or hidden agenda-ey as some other writer's groups I've heard about. I'm actually really looking forward to it. And they all seem to hold me in high regard for actually completing the publishing dealio. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Day off, woohoo!

Drinking tea after a lovely walk that involved ice cream.

I even bought dinner and brought out the rubbish like a real adult.

Very busy day at work tomorrow, but I'm actually looking forward to it.

Might work on my songwriting this evening.

I killed the thread.

Ruh roh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Ohai thread :)

I had four pints and a shot of jager last night and I've been plagued by hangover all day. What's happened to me? There's been days where I'd do twice that and be as bright as a button.

I had to call into the pub to pay my tab so it's non alcoholic ginger beer for me now

I'm about to scoff an Indian (curry, not person!  ). This makes me very happy. Get in mah belly!

Work has been so manic the last couple of weeks I CANNOT wait til the weekend!

• Advertisement

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I had four pints and a shot of jager last night and I've been plagued by hangover all day. What's happened to me? There's been days where I'd do twice that and be as bright as a button.

I had to call into the pub to pay my tab so it's non alcoholic ginger beer for me now

I gots yer book!

SillyBeans wrote: »
    I'm about to scoff an Indian (curry, not person!  ).

But the Indians are a delicious people. :(

Lyaiera wrote: »

I avoid the sauce these days for hangover reasons alone.

It leaves me very cranky and jittery, so I stick to my cupán tae.

Hey I posted 3 times in a row.

Making up for lost time here. :cool:

First day with all the kids back, and the one student that I teach that I have the most problems with had a meltdown before my lesson today, after ALREADY falling out with one of her close friends. Seriously child, you have been back in the building three hours after your stunt at the end of last year - as far as I know she is being given one more week and then she is off the the special behaviour school for three weeks. That is the start of the slippery slope to being permanently excluded if when she comes back she doesn't turn things around!

I bought tickets to a charity rugby game tomorrow night and tickets for a game on Sunday between Fiji and Canada. I then get an email offering my half price tickets to Ireland v England on Saturday, which I now can't afford because of the fact that a) I bought my new phone and b)I bought those other tickets, plus I don't think I'd have a good weekend next week if I'm out at rugby all weekend and no planning done!

I've never had a hangover. Not a one.

:P

But the Indians are a delicious people. :(

Living with one, not really - too much time hogging the kitchen. I know some really nice Indian people though

I've never had a hangover. Not a one.

:P

As in you don't drink or just drink carefully, or are one of those jammy people that never get them?

• Advertisement

As in you don't drink or just drink carefully, or are one of those jammy people that never get them?

Probably a combination of those. Was never into drinking loads, never understood it. Any time I drink I only drink enough to get the nice relaxed buzz and that's plenty. But I know some people suffer the next day after having only a glass or two. So I'm probably just lucky as well.

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I'm back Wednesday, no doubt to the same thing. I'm so ready for when someone who is overpaid and underworked decides to criticize the results me partner teacher and I got for out year 11 groups. COME AT ME!!!

:o Not even back and I'm on the defensive.

Currently designing lessons...on a bank holiday...when I don't have work tomorrow...loser alert.

I've decided this is my last year teaching - haven't been happy for a while and I've realised that I have decent talents outside of teaching.

We never ever ever have a stage where we can say what went well (WWW) without putting in a next steps (NS), same with the kids, which is fe*king ridiculous! I'm not surprised so many of our year 11;s rebelled last year when the pressure on them grew and grew and grew. It would be nice for us to be allowed to say to the kids well done and leave it at that. Same with the staff with 1 or 2 of the 9 pieces we have in our performance management. I had this conversation with someone already today - our headteacher and some of the SLT are annoying me, and since I'm a year 11 form tutor, I've a feeling I will have a rant about teachers putting way too much pressure on the kids. They have enough pressure from home, given their religious background, and cousins and neighbours, but most staff turn a blind eye to it. That group were called "lacking drive" by one member of staff, and yes there are a few that do, but overall, they are a much more driven year groups that the one before them and the one after them

/rant over

Living with one, not really - too much time hogging the kitchen. I know some really nice Indian people though

I lived with an indian.couldn't cook for love nor money! I could cook a better curry than her!

Saw on Twitter Brian O Driscoll is going to be at the game tomorrow, and I'm sitting bang on half way, where he could be sitting :D

I avoid the sauce these days for hangover reasons alone.

It leaves me very cranky and jittery, so I stick to my cupán tae.

I generally stick to two pints at most, anything more than that and I start feeling unwell. What annoys me is the price of soft drinks. Thankfully the bar I'm in most often only charges €2 for a can of coke, or ginger beer, or Seven Up, but so many places charge almost three euros for a piddly little bottle.

For all the complaining about how much Irish people drink, the options to not drink are ridiculously expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Rebelgirl it takes guts to act on that realisation. What else would you like to do?

• Advertisement

Tigger99 wrote: »
    Rebelgirl it takes guts to act on that realisation. What else would you like to do?

I want to do my masters in sports management here, and with my current job I won't have the time to do so. I'd like to get into marketing and PR, have been doing some volunteering this year at the rugby world cup in the press office, working with the press officers and the content team, and I drafted a number of things like the speech for the England Rugby 2015 rep at the welcome speech for all the teams, most of which is being used in the final version, as it had to be signed off by a number of people. Fail that, I'd try and find a PE teaching job, all practical, or maybe a little theory, but it would be much less pressure than what I'm under now. I don't mind pressure, I enjoy pressure, but we are under constant scrutiny. Now we have been told when senior leadership is on duty, they are walking around the school for the whole hour and popping into lessons to look at the students, rubbish they will be looking and feeding back on us! There is such a lack of trust - 25 staff left this year, and no wonder why!

To be honest, I think our work environment is toxic at the moment and I know it can be the same at other schools, but I don't know. Only one person at work knows that I've decided, no one in my department, though I was talked out of resigning at Christmas last year, when I had the letter written, but then again I was in such a bad headspace

I swear I think I'm allergic to the place, been fine all summer and since I've been back I've had a tight chest, weird cough, taking my inhaler loads and sniffles.

Got my BOD picture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Haha deadly :)

I want to get cake but there's nowhere open. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Google "microwave chocolate mug cake", you might have the ingredients :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement