Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Loungers who Toga! Toga! Toga!

Comments

There was a doggy at work today!

And I downloaded lots of good music yesterday.

Can anyone recommend something that's easy to watch and very good and funny? We just finished It's Always Sunny in Philly.

I love miss fishers murder mysteries :o:o
    very easy to watch as well

I've BOOKED the shaolin monart thing. I am excite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

There was a doggy at work today!

And I downloaded lots of good music yesterday.

Can anyone recommend something that's easy to watch and very good and funny? We just finished It's Always Sunny in Philly.
    Parks and Recreation is excellent!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

Parks and Recreation is excellent!

Whassit about? My brother was been telling me to watch it for a while now.

bluewolf wrote: »
    I love miss fishers murder mysteries :o:o
    very easy to watch as well

I've BOOKED the shaolin monart thing. I am excite

I like that kind of show actually. Must give it a go.

And the Monart thing looks fab!

I like that kind of show actually. Must give it a go.

And the Monart thing looks fab!

It's funny and stylish and whodunnit and she's a fairly independent woman and there's a handsome detective
    it has everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Definitely parks and rec, it has Amy Poehler.

The first season is a bit slow but then it's just amazing.

ETA also community

misslt wrote: »

ETA also community

I lurve Community!

ETA also community

what are you sitting this time??

what are you sitting this time??

ST2 cos I hate myself :P

You?

ST2 cos I hate myself :P

You?

:D:D
    ct6
    psychic octopus questions!
    is that your second last one???

• Advertisement

:D:D
    ct6
    psychic octopus questions!
    is that your second last one???

Yup, SA4 in april! I'd be surprised if I passed them first time though!

Yup, SA4 in april! I'd be surprised if I passed them first time though!

omg omg :D:D:D
    i'd nearly say you will the way you're flying :D
    CHAMPAGNE FOR EVERYONE

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This is a bit of a long post, and I deliberated whether I should post it in work and jobs, or education, and finally decided this thread is probably where it might best fit.

As some of you may know, I'm in my final year of a masters. It's directly related to what I work in, so much so, that I was exempted from a third of the modules in first and second year due to professional qualifications, and as I deliver training in the area, out of the six other modules, I was literally able to do the assignments without any real work, and am currently sitting on a b+/merit/2nd level of qualification.

I'm now due to deliver a thesis in January. It's a year long module but tbh as it's an online degree I think they set that schedule to get people thinking. I got pissed off in May due to lack of interaction with my supervisor, so I mailed my year head/degree lead (not sure what she's called) and as we chatted on a call I came up with my subject, she loved it, has a massive interest in it, so the issue got sorted and she is now my supervisor.

I also did some initial work talking to peers in my industry (one of the criteria for evaluating the thesis which has something like 60% weighting in terms of overall grade for the masters, is that it must add value to the industry)and I was extremely fortunate that they are all very giving people, and I now have introductions to pioneers involved in shaping the very subject that I am talking about, I'm almost embarrassed at how kind people have been in offering introductions, advising who to contact and involve etc.

It's a seriously contentious subject and my thesis potentially has significant commercial value up to and including professional certification

Now despite it starting in January, I've done feck all to date, until this week.

This week I'd to do a presentation to a customer on the subject, and I just fell in love. (When it comes to what I do, I'm considered a subject matter expert and a bit of a nerd), I just so am looking forward to my thesis becoming a talking point in the industry.

Does that sound a bit weird or obsessed? I literally fell into what I currently do through chance, and now have a chance to influence the thinking that the industry works by in a certain way

I think it's an opportunity, I think what is freaking me out here is that it will be seen as something that is somewhat groundbreaking (which it would be), so there will be focus on me, and I'm a real introvert.

Now I'm incredibly comfortable speaking in public, and regularly present to up to 50 odd people.

But if my thesis is good,and widely available which the university will make sure it is if it challenges convention in a good way (and remember, I am tackling a contentious issue) I'll be projecting myself into the international arena

Am I just going mad and overthinking this?

Are some of you reading this and thinking "good for you" Or going "no fecking way I'd do that"?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

You're not mad at all! That's sounds great and exactly how you want to feel from your thesis! Would it be worth it if you didn't enjoy it? Reading your post made me smile. It's nice to see someone be passionate and proud about their work! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Totally in the "good for you" camp right now. There's nothing better, IMO, than someone who is passionate about their field / research / work - it ignites a passion in all those around them. The aim of research is to further knowledge - and if it's contentious all the better. I'm just home from a low key 30th birthday party where all the guests work in scientific research, so the conversation turned to science for a bit of it. We weren't discussing the great science we've seen, instead we discussed the "out there" and retracted pieces we saw, the ones that sparked interest and discussion.

Am pretty jealous of you right now :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Stheno that's amazing it really is. Your passion for it comes across so strongly in your post. Although it's hard I would say keep your focus on the project and try not to think about the bigger picture until you have the work done and then sit back and enjoy the ride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Whassit about? My brother was been telling me to watch it for a while now.
    It's sort of a "mockumentary" style programme (think The Office) but set in the Parks and Recreation Department of local government in a small American town.

Stheno, go for it! :)

I'm thinking "good for you" as well!
    that sounds brilliant and such a great opportunity
    If you do end up in the limelight remember to set aside plenty of hermit/recluse time and you should be ok, I have to do that!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

sullivlo wrote: »
    Have booked to go to London for the RWC. It's only for France Romania but it's another game. Yeah! Cardiff next weekend. Trying to sneak another game in too if the funds allow.

Headed to Brighton after the game too to see family and stuff. They got a new puppy! Yeah!!

Cat C tickets from New Zealand v Namibia were up on the website this morning, day after the France Romania game in QEP as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,522 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Stheno wrote: »
    This week I'd to do a presentation to a customer on the subject, and I just fell in love. (When it comes to what I do, I'm considered a subject matter expert and a bit of a nerd), I just so am looking forward to my thesis becoming a talking point in the industry.

Does that sound a bit weird or obsessed?

Am I just going mad and overthinking this?

Are some of you reading this and thinking "good for you" Or going "no fecking way I'd do that"?

No.

I've written some position papers for work. I'm very proud of one, which is about 8,000 words and has been a long slog (the others aren't finalised yet). I know what I've written is robust and I can stand behind it. So yeah, it's ---> :cool:

• Advertisement

Cat C tickets from New Zealand v Namibia were up on the website this morning, day after the France Romania game in QEP as well

Yeah I saw that! Headed down to Brighton though. Will potentially fly back over for one of the other pool games though. Love my rugby. Would watch anyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Wow Stheno that sounds AMAZING - enjoy every minute of it. What bluewolf said about scheduling some hermit time is super advice. I love the passion and excitement!

PR (and everyone else) we are watching Party Down at the moment and OMG it is awesome. The cringe is so strong. And it's got Adam Scott and Lizzie Caplan.

Aaaannnndddd I just booked a weekend in Riga for himself's birthday and I'M SO EXCITEDDDD I just don't know how I'm going to hold my water until his birthday!

Stheno, you need to go for it! The really great things at work can be few and far between, so cling like a barnacle to them, and enjoy.

Congratulations!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks everyone!

I've a colleague doing the same masters and they are all at sea, so I guess I was doubting myself.

Had the bestest day today, OH and myself had a lazy morning, then went to the Leinster game, met up with a friend after for drinks, and tonight we've booked five days in Malta at the end of the month.

Really need a break, and really looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Does that sound a bit weird or obsessed? I literally fell into what I currently do through chance, and now have a chance to influence the thinking that the industry works by in a certain way

I think it's an opportunity, I think what is freaking me out here is that it will be seen as something that is somewhat groundbreaking (which it would be), so there will be focus on me, and I'm a real introvert.

Now I'm incredibly comfortable speaking in public, and regularly present to up to 50 odd people.

But if my thesis is good,and widely available which the university will make sure it is if it challenges convention in a good way (and remember, I am tackling a contentious issue) I'll be projecting myself into the international arena

I saw this last night and knew I had to respond, I was thinking of PMing you but I figure here will do just as well.

It seems like you're nervous or having nerves about putting yourself out there. When you say you fell into this by chance it's like you're thinking of yourself in an imposter syndrome way. And you're worried about being in the limelight, with what you say is a really cutting edge thesis that will gain attention from the industry. (And really this is what I think about myself.)

Maybe I'm only thinking about this because I had to put myself forward when I wrote my book, and it's not what you're saying about yourself but rather me seeing my own issues about myself in the things you wrote.

I know my book is good. I know I wrote something that people are getting enjoyment from. The feedback I received and the reviews I'm getting all tells me that. When I reread a chapter and think, "**** yeah!" with a big smile I know I wrote something decent. But even still I had to do a strange mental leap to get myself to put it out there. I had to distance myself from it and say, "Whatever happens, happens" even though I knew I'd be devastated if it was poorly received.

Maybe it's an Irish thing, maybe it's a female thing, maybe it's quiet-person thing, maybe it's a thinker thing, who knows. But I definitely know a lot of people, myself included who can be hesitant about putting themselves forward. And if they're met with great success they'll downplay what they did, and what they achieved. I told people my book is no great feat of literary fiction, but it is a good read because I was trying to offset expectations, and not be the person who exclaims they're the greatest living human!

I've stood in front of people and read out my poetry, and some people liked it. And deep down I was thinking, "they're just saying that to be nice." And there's just this weird dichotomy between thinking you're good enough to do something, and putting yourself down and shaming yourself for believing you're good enough to do something. All you have to do is look at the Irish sentiment of begrudgery, "he has notions" and "too big for her boots" type of thought.

It's feeling shameful for thinking you're good at something, that your being prideful or proud, and that's really unbecoming behaviour. When you say you fell into what you're doing by chance it's like saying, "this was just luck, I didn't decide this."

I'm proud of the fact I wrote a book. Not because it's had good reviews, but because I put a lot of work into telling a good story and that work has seemingly resulted in people having an enjoyable evening. I think anyone who's written a 50k word story should be proud of the dedication it took, even if it has no impact (like my book at the moment.)

I definitely appreciate the nerves, and the doubts associated with this kind of putting yourself out there. But you deserve it. It's an achievement to complete a masters, let alone do something significant with it. I think very few people set out to be the greatest person who ever lived, but many, all people in fact will have an extraordinary impact on someone, or something, or science, medicine, law, someone's happiness, someone's fortune, etc. during their lives. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being happy that you're doing something like this. There's nothing wrong with being happy you're the mother to an amazing child, there's nothing wrong with being happy you cook amazing meals in your restaurant, and there's nothing wrong with thinking, "I wrote a good book."

Everyone deserves these things, and what would be wrong would be to not appreciate it, or let someone pull you down from it. Ultimately you're the person who will write the thesis. You'll have help from other people, you might have chanced into the situation, or it could even have been your life's goal. The reality is no-one should feel bad for doing something positive in their life. No-one should feel bad for achieving something.

I hope this is in some way applicable to you, because really your post made me think a lot about myself, and my own doubts about what I do, and what I've achieved in life, and with my writing and my work. You shouldn't feel bad for doing what you do, and you shouldn't feel bad for feeling like you've accomplished something.

Lyaiera wrote: »

I hope this is in some way applicable to you, because really your post made me think a lot about myself, and my own doubts about what I do, and what I've achieved in life, and with my writing and my work. You shouldn't feel bad for doing what you do, and you shouldn't feel bad for feeling like you've accomplished something.

You're pretty much spot on, I've done a fair bit of work to get to where I am now, so much so that people I would previously have looked up to are now peers, which I find strange, you know how you can really look up to someone, and then suddenly they are just someone you chat to or even challenge? That's happened a lot to me the past few years as I've moved up in my field.

I'm actually really looking forward to doing/finishing my thesis and hope it will help move my industry forward.

I think you're right, it's the personal attention side of it that freaks me out a bit. I've enough of an ego to know that I will like/appreciate any critical applause it gets, but becoming known as the person who wrote x thesis/paper/proposed something radical would be a bit weird.

Heck, it's not even written yet, but the feedback so far from a few heavy hitters in the industry is that it's something that is badly needed, so who knows :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

First smear tomorrow. Wooo :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

That reminds me, I'm well overdue mine!

That reminds me, I'm well overdue mine!

I started panicking as I hate them but I'd one in January :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

I've had so many issues 'down there' that I'm worryingly ok with smears and the like. Last time I was at the doc for a gynae issue, the doctor examining me was about my age and smoking hot. He then called in the consultant for a second opinion. There was also a nurse present. After that one person poking around is a breeze :P

Stheno I didn't comment earlier but I'd love to have as much passion for anything, let alone my job, as you seem to have. Embrace every second of it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You'll be fine Sammyjo - it's not that bad and it's a bit of reassurance that all is mostly well downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ShazGV

(Please excuse the following rambling, I just needed to put this down somewhere!)

I'm so confused about my job. Some days I really enjoy it, and other days I come home wishing I didn't have to go back. I really like the people I work with, but recently they've started to train me in an area I'm really not enjoying (it's quite stressful & frustrating). At first I thought it was just a precautionary thing, in case I need to cover for anyone, but someone that's been training me mentioned that they're looking at moving me into that area permanently. I really don't want that to be the case, but I've only been there a couple of months and feel like I couldn't say I don't want to do it. I've also been told by someone else working there that they'd be more likely to extend my contract if I was working in that new area. I know it's probably just down to the fact that I'm still learning, but it's leaving me anxious the night before I go in to work when I know I'm going to be working in that area the following day.

The anxiety is probably also down to the fact that I still feel very lost in terms of a 'career' of any sort; I have no idea what I want to do with my life, or what area I want to work in. I think I might be having a quarter life crisis (is that even a thing?).

ShazGV wrote: »
    (Please excuse the following rambling, I just needed to put this down somewhere!)

I'm so confused about my job. Some days I really enjoy it, and other days I come home wishing I didn't have to go back. I really like the people I work with, but recently they've started to train me in an area I'm really not enjoying (it's quite stressful & frustrating). At first I thought it was just a precautionary thing, in case I need to cover for anyone, but someone that's been training me mentioned that they're looking at moving me into that area permanently. I really don't want that to be the case, but I've only been there a couple of months and feel like I couldn't say I don't want to do it. I've also been told by someone else working there that they'd be more likely to extend my contract if I was working in that new area. I know it's probably just down to the fact that I'm still learning, but it's leaving me anxious the night before I go in to work when I know I'm going to be working in that area the following day.

The anxiety is probably also down to the fact that I still feel very lost in terms of a 'career' of any sort; I have no idea what I want to do with my life, or what area I want to work in. I think I might be having a quarter life crisis (is that even a thing?).

Are you finding it stressful as you are not used to it or is it high pressure with strict deadlines?

It's both, really. There's a lot of information to take in with it, and I'm not exactly a fan of learn-by-doing but that's the best way of teaching the role. It's stupid, but I don't like not knowing what I'm doing. It's why it took me so long to learn to drive.

It's also just a stressful job in general - there are a lot of strict deadlines, having to adhere to exact numbers, working under pressure. (It's a very niche job too which is why I'm trying to be vague/general :p )

It's both, really. There's a lot of information to take in with it, and I'm not exactly a fan of learn-by-doing but that's the best way of teaching the role. It's stupid, but I don't like not knowing what I'm doing. It's why it took me so long to learn to drive.

It's also just a stressful job in general - there are a lot of strict deadlines, having to adhere to exact numbers, working under pressure. (It's a very niche job too which is why I'm trying to be vague/general :p )

I work in a very niche area, it's either for you or not, there is no in between.

Can you talk to your manager about it and the problems you are having?

• Advertisement

I'm hoping I will be able to talk to them soon. They're very understanding & encouraging, so a part of me is just worried they'll talk me into doing it anyway, ha.

In my head I just keep saying 'give it until Christmas'. If I've been moved into a role where I'm unhappy, that'll be a decision made for me.

(ps thank you for talking it out with me, I appreciate it & hope to one day have the passion for a job the way you do for yours! :) )

I'm hoping I will be able to talk to them soon. They're very understanding & encouraging, so a part of me is just worried they'll talk me into doing it anyway, ha.

In my head I just keep saying 'give it until Christmas'. If I've been moved into a role where I'm unhappy, that'll be a decision made for me.

(ps thank you for talking it out with me, I appreciate it & hope to one day have the passion for a job the way you do for yours! :) )

I seriously struggled four years ago to adapt to my current role, and genuinely wondered if I fit it, to the point that I woke up screaming from nightmares about it

I literally had panic attacks and really doubted myself, and given my recent posts you might see a difference.

If you want to pm for a chat,and go into more detail do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

D'ya know what makes Monday mornings even better? A horrible cold. :mad:

Went to an awesome gig last night, August Wells, so so good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Well that was a pleasant experience :pac:

Over and done with now!

• Advertisement

Finishing work early woo hoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I just had my milk-carton-birthday in Lidl! :pac:

It's a big one too. I'll be 30 in a couple of weeks. My life has seriously gone down the shítter in the past year or so, so I couldn't feel less like celebrating (in fact I'm planning on ignoring the whole day.) But here's to a new decade and new beginnings. :)

It's a big one too. I'll be 30 in a couple of weeks. My life has seriously gone down the shítter in the past year or so, so I couldn't feel less like celebrating (in fact I'm planning on ignoring the whole day.) But here's to a new decade and new beginnings. :)

Good luck :)

I LOVE my milk carton birthday. Almost as much as my real birthday.

sullivlo wrote: »
    I LOVE my milk carton birthday. Almost as much as my real birthday.

What is a milk carton birthday?

What is a milk carton birthday?

The day you see your birthday as the best by date on the milk (or yoghurt if you're that way inclined).

Well every day's a schoolday. Never heard of a milk-carton birthday in my life. What a day to be alive!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I need some advice,,just so frustrated at the moment.

I'm enjoying my job less and less. The classroom stuff is okay and the team I'm working with is still fantastic with two new additions. But the school is going downhill so fast. We had an open night tonight and there was NO advertising about it, nothing in any papers or even on the school website. It's not hard to do something like that. There was no tea or coffee for staff after school, where we had department meetins until 4.15 anyway which meant for most staff it was impossible to go home and come back again for 5.30 while getting some bit of a break. There are so many little things adding uo that are really frustrating me and I'm not sure I can handle it because I know I could make a definite difference in thats area and the school know I could. I don't feel I can go up to the head and say these things as she is an odd kettle of fish, but to have no advertising for our school open night is insane!!

The morale in the place is in the pits, staff are unhappy and 26 left last year, very few leaving for promotions. I've spoken to a few others in my team and their advice is basically just do your job to the best of your ability and don't get frustrated about things you can't control, which I get but in the back of my mind I know I could do a much better job at certain things than what is happening now. I'm enjoying my job less and less and tbh I'm looking at leaving - but because of a loyalty to my year 11 tutor group and the class I teach I feel that I have to stay. I'm a big picture person, our department come to me because I hear about and find out about things going on with other staff members. I don't share anything confidential with others,but I hear a hell of a lot of stuff, and recently everything has been negative rather than positive. There are number of staff being targeted to get rid of, and it's obvious to the man in the moon it's constructive dismissal!

I'm not sure what to do next, or should I just leave these frustrations go over my head in future and just do my job? Am I right in feeling this way? Need to go to bed coz I was in the place 13 hours today.

/rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I spent six hours doing homework tonight, and we haven't even gotten any homework yet. The teacher said in passing what our first photo assignment would be from another teacher tomorrow, so I headed out this evening and tried taking those photos. Then I spent all evening editing them with only a 15 minute break for Archer. I only ended up with one I'm happy with.

I need some advice,,just so frustrated at the moment.

I'm enjoying my job less and less. The classroom stuff is okay and the team I'm working with is still fantastic with two new additions. But the school is going downhill so fast. We had an open night tonight and there was NO advertising about it, nothing in any papers or even on the school website. It's not hard to do something like that. There was no tea or coffee for staff after school, where we had department meetins until 4.15 anyway which meant for most staff it was impossible to go home and come back again for 5.30 while getting some bit of a break. There are so many little things adding uo that are really frustrating me and I'm not sure I can handle it because I know I could make a definite difference in thats area and the school know I could. I don't feel I can go up to the head and say these things as she is an odd kettle of fish, but to have no advertising for our school open night is insane!!

The morale in the place is in the pits, staff are unhappy and 26 left last year, very few leaving for promotions. I've spoken to a few others in my team and their advice is basically just do your job to the best of your ability and don't get frustrated about things you can't control, which I get but in the back of my mind I know I could do a much better job at certain things than what is happening now. I'm enjoying my job less and less and tbh I'm looking at leaving - but because of a loyalty to my year 11 tutor group and the class I teach I feel that I have to stay. I'm a big picture person, our department come to me because I hear about and find out about things going on with other staff members. I don't share anything confidential with others,but I hear a hell of a lot of stuff, and recently everything has been negative rather than positive. There are number of staff being targeted to get rid of, and it's obvious to the man in the moon it's constructive dismissal!

I'm not sure what to do next, or should I just leave these frustrations go over my head in future and just do my job? Am I right in feeling this way? Need to go to bed coz I was in the place 13 hours today.

/rant over

If this is starting to take over your life and leaving you dreading going into work, then it's time to consider leaving I'm afraid

• Advertisement
Advertisement